Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: CANNOT be impoved by magma?  (Read 8811 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Re: CANNOT be impoved by magma?
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2011, 03:32:32 pm »

Goblinfall defence system: embark surrounded by walls (not bridges, walls 5 tiles from edge), the only entrances are pairs of 15 z-level tall stairs connected by 1-wide floors full of weapon traps. Menrchants and migrants come safely, goblins dodge traps, and fall. (I had some military fight on top of that, and "dodge", which resulted in Dwarf deaths, which makes this Dwarfy). This design can be improved by putting refuse pile under it, so goblins just rot there, butcher and tanner for random animals, some cage traps, wall protecting from goblin archers, and kitty lookout towers for ambushes, but not magma. Putting magma under it would make goblinite unharvestable. Harvesting just metal would require periodic draining of said magma, and that's inefficient. The only way I can think of, this would be better with magma is by adding a small pool or shaft to magma for dumping stuff, but that's easier done with atom smasher anyway.

But draining the magma does give you the advantage of getting rid of all the -troll leather cap-s. You can have the bottom of your pit be some retracting bridges, which open up to a level of floor hatches below which the magma falls through but the useful goblinite does not fall through.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2011, 12:47:55 pm »

You can use magma and water to kill HFS. Probably.

Ah ha, but that's not improving it!  ;)
A good HFS is a dead HFS.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2011, 12:51:30 pm »

You can use magma and water to kill HFS. Probably.

Ah ha, but that's not improving it!  ;)
Water and magma pouring from the roof of Hell to create obsidian in mid-air, while said obsidian smashes demons?

I'd say that's an extra 500 points.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]