Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ever get a dwarf that seems destined to be unhappy?  (Read 3239 times)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: Ever get a dwarf that seems destined to be unhappy?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 08:52:01 am »

I once had a baroness who regularly got utterly traumatized (word by word!) by a lessers pretentious burial arrangements. Said burial arrangements were a coffin in a rough-hewn stone room. And she had a golden sarcophagus with golden statues in a smoothed marble (i think, the details are a bit blurry), which might have had high-quality engravings as well. She rarely made it past unhappy. It might have had something to do with her being mayor as well, which could probably cause some kind of causality loop in a dorf brain, frying it with unhappiness.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 09:02:15 am »

I once had a baroness who regularly got utterly traumatized (word by word!) by a lessers pretentious burial arrangements. Said burial arrangements were a coffin in a rough-hewn stone room. And she had a golden sarcophagus with golden statues in a smoothed marble (i think, the details are a bit blurry), which might have had high-quality engravings as well. She rarely made it past unhappy. It might have had something to do with her being mayor as well, which could probably cause some kind of causality loop in a dorf brain, frying it with unhappiness.

I have also noticed similar thing quite often, and upon some thought i seem to have understood it.
I think that nobles weigh the value of their rooms against others' upon some period of time - She has had that "Grand mausoleum" for but a week or two, while poor Urist McLate has been lying in his burial chamber for an entire last year. I think it's something like that that makes her conclude his grave is better than hers.
And she is not regularly traumatized i think - she gets traumatized only once, but extremely utterly.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 09:31:01 am »

@topic, not really. But I do seem to get Dwarfs destined to be bed-ridden. One of my recruits was wounded by the very first goblin in this fort. Got cleaned and evaluated and could go about again. He just 'fought' a Goblin assault as well. He was wounded.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 09:36:03 am »

I end up with a dwarf that always seems miserable sometimes. It is called the dwarf that got adopted by all the cats in the fort. Answer: I put him in a solo squad, told him to station on a staircase between a floor hatch and magma, and waited for him to go insane.

Disquiet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 11:14:19 am »

My mayor fits into this category. All of my mayors. I ignore mandates, all day, every day.

Unfortunately, it seems things have only gone from bad to worse, as this new mayor keeps demanding items we haven't the slimmest chance of producing. The old mayor, rest her soul, mostly just wanted quivers. Plus, she was a comedian and a legendary miller... :( It's too bad her bedroom was accidentally walled off.

If you get a crappy mayor you can just replace him in the nobles screen. Atleast in my game I can. I know hes supposed to be elected but I seem able to replace them with whoever I want for some reason... But then I'm not sure if nobles in my game are working right. I have a 120 dwarf fort with some massive number of created wealth and about 30k exported, but still no baron.

I've never had a baron and this is my first successful fort, but I'm not complaining as they seem rather useless from what I've seen on the wiki.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 11:26:32 am »

Urist McMacedwarf has been unhappy lately.  He was enraged by long patrol duty.  He was angry about being relieved from duty.

He's part of a 10-dwarf military squad that trains 5 min at a time.  They're on constant training unless they decide to break, I never relieve dwarves unless they're a recruit upset about the draft.  Why does THIS dwarf have to be difficult?!

My duke is perpetually pissy about lesser's pretentious building arrangements. I mean, REALLY pissy,. He tantrums. I think this is a bug? Because the only other thing wrong is that he occasionally gets caught in a snowstorm working in the outdoor kitchen. Otherwise, he has Royal Rooms, his mandates are always met quickly, and I can't think of anything else that would upset him. No one he knows dies. He has no pets. It's aggravating.

if your duke has another partner who also has his/her own room, he might have be sleeping in the smaller room the whole time, thus giving the pretentious building arrangements thought.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 01:00:49 pm »

My mayor fits into this category. All of my mayors. I ignore mandates, all day, every day.

Unfortunately, it seems things have only gone from bad to worse, as this new mayor keeps demanding items we haven't the slimmest chance of producing. The old mayor, rest her soul, mostly just wanted quivers. Plus, she was a comedian and a legendary miller... :( It's too bad her bedroom was accidentally walled off.

If you get a crappy mayor you can just replace him in the nobles screen. Atleast in my game I can. I know hes supposed to be elected but I seem able to replace them with whoever I want for some reason... But then I'm not sure if nobles in my game are working right. I have a 120 dwarf fort with some massive number of created wealth and about 30k exported, but still no baron.

I've never had a baron and this is my first successful fort, but I'm not complaining as they seem rather useless from what I've seen on the wiki.
The previous mayor was also the baroness, so it wasn't quite so simple. The current one though... I'll have to replace him pretty soon.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!
Pages: 1 [2]