Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 826 827 [828] 829 830 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1239122 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12405 on: September 11, 2017, 02:35:01 pm »

ok so the first segment of the Cumaean Spire is done:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

it only shows the current base of the building (at 1810 depth) but you can more or less guess how it looks all the way up to the surface. i had to demolish a lot of the surrounding stone in order to get enough bricks for the main walls and the background. i strip mined the stone on both sides around the base and along the roof in order to expand the cave. dont have a screenshot of the map, but the island looks like a giant stalagmite. the only downside is that i've still got to level one side compared to the other. so it looks more like separated lakes. im gonna fix that once i can farm stone into ebonstone.

on the gameplay side i've defeated the EoC and maximized my mana. currently exploring the jungle in search of spores to complete the jungle armor. the idea then is to gather corrupt seeds from a corrupted world in order to produce an artificial corruption on this one then get the material to summon the EoW. i would go for the BoC but im not sure on my skills yet. need much deadlier weapons.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12406 on: September 11, 2017, 03:01:15 pm »

You can make basically any furniture out of anything afaik.
Worth noting that some materials require special crafting stations if you want to make furniture out of them, and these crafting stations can be hard to find. If you want to turn slime into slime furniture, for instance, you need a crafting station called a Slime Solidifier (or something along those lines).
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12407 on: September 11, 2017, 03:08:24 pm »

not to mention that some materials are quite rare and require a lot of time to farm.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12408 on: September 11, 2017, 06:20:16 pm »

Can you make a slime solidifier made of solidified slime?
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12409 on: September 11, 2017, 06:20:41 pm »

I...don't believe you can. Maybe.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12410 on: September 11, 2017, 06:26:51 pm »

Solidifiers have to be found from the King Slime and cannot be crafted; sorry.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12411 on: September 11, 2017, 07:31:39 pm »

you can also buy it from the Steampunker but yeah, killing king slime is easier than going all the way to hardmode just for making furniture out of slime.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12412 on: September 12, 2017, 12:30:37 pm »

another update on the megaproject.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

leveled the terrain between both sides of the cavern and opened the roof a bit more. the idea is to make the hellevator the most connected part between the roof and the floor of the cave, the rest of the underground should be big enough to allow flying and swimming (maybe i could do an underground colisseum for the Old One's Army, but im not sure.

the island was also thinned a bit, it still looks a bit wide for a stalagmite, i need to expand the cavern horizontally so i can relocated some of the NPCs in order to trim the sides more. another possible option will be to add a rail system so i can connect the other parts of the map quickly.

the lone torch in the right end of the screen shows more or less where should the water lvl be.

the artificial corruption is ready, but it needs to expand a bit more so i can fight the EoW.

i found out the jungle and the dungeon are at both ends of the world so they will serve as barriers to protect the oceans in hardmode. or at least that's what i hope. one of the coasts has been adequated for Duke Fishron too.

i've also found a beehive and the jungle temple, but i mostly go for fishing crates. need the anklet and the staff of regrowth.

im gonna summon the goblin army with the battle standard because i need the spiky balls for the EoW fight. also, i need the tinkerer.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 12:33:47 pm by xaritscin »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12413 on: September 12, 2017, 12:34:55 pm »

During hardmode you will have to smash altars (in the corruption or the crimson) in order to spawn the hardmode ores, when you do so new bits of corruption or crimson will spawn in the world, also, killing he Wall of Flesh causes two gigantic diagonal stripes of corruption/crimson and hallow to spawn immediately.  There is no effective way to protect any biome or area in the game.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12414 on: September 12, 2017, 12:38:56 pm »

During hardmode you will have to smash altars (in the corruption or the crimson) in order to spawn the hardmode ores, when you do so new bits of corruption or crimson will spawn in the world, also, killing he Wall of Flesh causes two gigantic diagonal stripes of corruption/crimson and hallow to spawn immediately.  There is no effective way to protect any biome or area in the game.

you dont have to smash altars if you save on crates.

also, the diagonal stripes start from the center of the map, the only areas that will be in danger from there will be deserts and the tundra. the rest of the map is more or less safe. the jungle may suffer a bit but that can be mitigated with another hellevator.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #12415 on: September 12, 2017, 12:49:43 pm »

Yeah, if you don't mind fishing, you can get around needing to smash extra altars. Then its just the first diagonals you need to be careful about, and if you're fast you can usually isolate those before they do too much damage. I believe to stop corruption/hallow spread you need 3 air gapped blocks.

Also, extra altars don't send extra stripes. It's a chance to flip a single block somewhere to hallow or corruption, which is impossible to find on its own so it gets a bit of time to spread.

Another option if you somehow manage to turbo upgrade your gear is rush for Plantera, that slows the spread massively.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 12:51:21 pm by frostshotgg »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12416 on: September 12, 2017, 01:03:59 pm »

After starting a new world and a new character (god oh god why did I let myself get talked into genning a large world), I've reoriented myself with the game somewhat and am now in the horrible process of trying to prepare the world for hardmode.

I've mostly isolated the pregenned crimson areas, including the one that spawned INSIDE of my jungle biome (like, legitimately, smack dab in the middle... There are crimson altars on jungle mud and half the terrain is just straight f'ed up), as well as digging a few extra-wide hellevators to (hopefully) contain the spread of the initial V.

One of the crimson biomes spawned a bit weird though, so digging a quarantine barrier around it has been a massive pain. I've also paved/beautified a few of the tunnels and hellevators with smooth granite because shit's renewable, yo.

I also haven't even started making a Wall arena to get things started.  I DO however have about 3-4 different methods of trying to beat the thing, but seeing as this has been a 100% expert-mode run so far, I suspect the fight will still be a massive pain.

I don't intend to break any altars come hardmode. Saw a vid with a dude who had something like 40 wooden chests and 20 iron chests, and the sum total he got out of that was 77 adamantite bars. I burned through a little over 200 wooden chests trying to get a radar to drop so I could make a gorrang cell phone, so I've only got about 30 of them left... However, I do have some 120 iron crates and 40 golden crates to go on, so I should be able to make a suit or two of the necessities.

Provided my calculations and research are correct, I *should* stand a chance of keeping this world from immediately going completely to shit and losing all the underground to either hallow or crimson...  Hopefully. If I allow myself a bit of fantasy, I might even be able to imagine myself sectioning off the contaminated areas and being able to hose them down with the clentaminator, thus asserting true dominance over the environment.

All of this is, of course, dreadfully tedious... Especially when you're doing it in singleplayer. Ack.  I wonder sometimes if I actually know how to play games.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12417 on: September 12, 2017, 01:13:01 pm »

My solution was dynamite. Just blow up a nice barrier between the corruption and hallow. No problems.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12418 on: September 12, 2017, 01:14:32 pm »

living in a large world isnt as tedious if you know what you're looking for. it takes less than half a day in game to reach the edge of the map once you get a mount or boots. the main problem is passing the terrain and the monsters but after that its pretty easy to reach the coast or the jungle.

also, remember that you can get some stuff from biome crates instead. there's still some stuff that is hard to get like those items found in ice and gold chests. but there's plenty of sites to find those. i havent found a lava charm myself, i may have to keep looking but its not really mandatory because i dont have the water walking boots either.

the most important i think its the band of regeneration because of the charm of myths and the mana regeneration band. that is like, the only crucial item you have to get from the underground. i wish there was an ice crate and cavern crate but that would probably kill the spelunking part of the game.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12419 on: September 12, 2017, 01:39:44 pm »

My solution was dynamite. Just blow up a nice barrier between the corruption and hallow. No problems.
Definitely, definitely this. I like to take a few stacks of the boom, blow holes 10-15 sticks deep on each side of whatever I'm trying to protect, then sticky the dynamite I've got left and bomb my way across to make sure nothing comes up from the bottom.

You can do precise tile counting and careful digging and yadda yadda yadda or you can explode things until it's no longer a concern. Even from an entertainment perspective it's the better choice :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 826 827 [828] 829 830 ... 887