Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 829 830 [831] 832 833 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1239256 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12450 on: September 16, 2017, 03:02:03 pm »

3rd time is the charm i guess.

https://imgur.com/gXaNCBQ

this world has been much more slower to run. central part is mostly flatland, the nearest cave entrance was connected to the underground tundra so the first good loot i found were the ice boomerang and the snowball launcher.

the tundra as its expected is a few walk at the east. the west has the desert and was a pain to traverse because of the antlions, most worlds i've played have pretty tame deserts, i dont know if its because of elevation or something but there were antlion swarmers and chargers every time i put foot there. fortunately i was able to make bridges above the antlion nest and got enough cactus for the armor. but cannot go further because of the crimson.

i found some emeralds but this world doesnt have tungsten so no staves for now. think im gonna go with Yoyos instead. right now my priority is to find more web so i can craft a bed, want to make the second floor ASAP for the merchant. then i'll do a hellevator.

EDIT:

forget about that. i died again (fucking boulder trap came out of nowhere, the pressure slab was hidden in the stone WTF)

as for the biome spreading thing. even the jungle can do the same (chlorophyte can convert dirt into mud further spreading jungle grass andd itself, but it wanes once there's a lot of it in the area).

the good thing is that the game more or less keeps the center of the map untainted. if you're fast enough you can shield the center from the spreading the hallow isnt much of an issue and NPCs can live on it.

the corruption and the crimson require much more work around because of the thorns (it can grow up to 6 tiles in all directions).

outside of that i dont see the issue. the most critical thing is to protect the jungle and the oceans, the desert doesnt really get affected by it, same for the tundra.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 03:55:52 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12451 on: September 16, 2017, 06:40:23 pm »

the house in the current run (i hope not to die stupidly this time):

https://imgur.com/fUGHkfg

current equipment is cactus armor, radar, white string, spiked shoes, platinum watch (it came with warding) and cloud in a bottle. cactus sword with murderous and a zealous wooden yoyo. i also replaced my copper tools with tin. have a couple of recall potions but no magic mirror yet.

the backyard has some pots added for plants, missing moonglow and shivertorn seeds (along with moving the daybloom to the backyard. i also added some sunflowers to keep less mobs around, the guide tends to group too much slimes around.

this world has the desert at the west and the tundra and the corruption at the east. havent gone too far for now. want to get at least into Tin/Lead before venturing further.

EDIT:

this game hates me, got me some crystals to extend my health and there were some ores around when a blood moon started. i didnt die because of that, but because of a fucking skeleton that started shooting bones at me. should have stopped there. i just wanted to get the hook.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:29:55 pm by xaritscin »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12452 on: September 16, 2017, 08:18:33 pm »

Ahh, you're doing hardcore AND expert mode? Alone? Heh, yeah, good frickin' luck with that one, padre.

Don't even bother with melee pre-hardmode, it's not worth it. You can't soak enough damage to make getting that close worthwhile, and the longer-ranged melee weapons pre-hardmode are almost universally lackluster (exception: Dark Lance. Also, if you get a basic spear VERY early on it can help push back enemies until you get a real weapon, but killing anything will be a chore and it loses effectiveness after zombies/face monsters). Instead, get a bow ASAP and start pumping out frostburn arrows using ice torches.

At the first available opportunity, pop a crimson heart/shadow orb and then wait for the meteorite to fall. The meteor heads can be a pain to deal with, but getting a full space suit so you can whip out your fully activated spam gun is essential to getting anywhere. If you're in a corrupt world, the musket you get from the orb can almost be useful as a weapon... If you're in a crimson world, the undertaker is completely worthless.

Nearly every trap will kill you if you set it off by accident even once, until you're at 400 health and have decent armor. If you want to Not Die, you need to be exceptionally vigilant at all times, which is a massive pain and also an unreasonable thing to expect of anybody. Luckily, there's now the mechanical lens item that will point out every single trap in the game! Unfortunately, it's only sold by the mechanic, who only shows up after you've defeated Skeletron, and Skeletron is murder on expert mode.  Instead, try to get an alchemy station going as soon as possible and stock up on shiverthorn and cobwebs for dangersense potions. They help, a lot. They'll even help point out places of interest like spider dens and whatnot.

Build little rope-accessible watchtowers at regular intervals, especially around dangerous areas such as the crimson or deserts, so that you have a bolt-hole ready for any sort of large spawning event or difficult enemy. DO NOT go anywhere near a desert during a sandstorm, the enemies there can and will butcher you in seconds (and cannot be outrun) and the wind screws with your sense of movement.

Also, regarding the jungle's own abilty to spread... Technically it can do that, yes. In practice, chlorophyte clusters will readily get overpowered by an encroaching corruption/crimson, and chloro's ability to spread is considerably less powerful than that of the properly spreading biomes.  And even then, most of the jungle is unprotected by chlorophyte even when it does begin spawning, so a fair whack will get converted anyways.

But again, as stated before, it's predominantly a matter of principle regarding the fact that the world you've grown to know and love has decided to permanently transform itself into something completely different, and there's not much you can do about it that doesn't require drastic measures. The dryad pushing you to "fix it" just rubs it in.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12453 on: September 17, 2017, 12:11:32 am »

i just wanted to test myself but it seems that even the most stupid situation can be deadly. guess its part of the challenge.

https://imgur.com/itr6n8g

this spawn has been mostly calm, got enough cactus for armor and sword to replace boreal, have the tundra and the desert nearby so it was easy to come for building materials. however it took a time to find enough stone and ores to make the necessary equipment, furniture and crafting stations. the good part is that i have a pond nearby and its big enough to allow adequate fishing. already got an iron crate from it (bait and the ginger beard, meh, it can be sold for good money tho).

the corruption is right next to the tundra so i cannot move further west. and i got against a dirt wall in the end of the desert so there's either mining down or exploring the surface a bit. im gonna keep looking at fishing since its more or less a safe way to get materials.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12454 on: September 17, 2017, 05:39:00 am »

Yeeaaahh, hardcore expert is... basically another way of saying "I hate myself and want to experience the most miserable this game can be." There's not really many ways to make the game less enjoyable, and option wise (as opposed to personal challenges, like a pure magic run or whatever) there straight up isn't without modding. Most of the game wasn't designed in any way, shape, or form, for it to be played that way. It's there because folks asked for it, but it's seriously piss poor so far as design and balance integration goes.

So far as a thorough treatment of biome spread goes... honestly? If the presence basically anywhere on the map bothers you, just. Use a map editor. Either delete the spreading stuff outright, or take a few minutes (as opposed to hours or days of raw time) to ring the junk with something they can't spread across. As noted, the in game means to deal with it is expensive and inconsistent. Pretty genuinely not worth your time, unless maybe you're willing to cheat up infinite money and/or ammo so you don't have to deal with the logistics involved.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12455 on: September 17, 2017, 09:58:36 am »

https://imgur.com/in9U4ek

the house is more or less finished, just need to add a bathroom and the roof. first basement is workshop (missing an extractinator), second basement is storage (need more iron for chests), first floor just decoration but im gonna put the cooking pot there. second floor is supposed to be bathroom and bedroom, need to organize it.

been fishing for sometime and got up to 4 wooden crates along with sailfish boots and frog legs. gonna keep on it for a while.

EDIT: (havent died yet)

got past the dirt wall at the end of the desert, most of the terrain past it was forest, found like, 6 chests with basic starting loot. several seeds, potions, shurikens, herbs, an umbrella, two wands of sparking and one spear. added some of that to the inventory.

i also got some iron to craft the cooking pot and the reinforced fishing pole. so i can now focus on getting ores for armor/weapons (im still missing on crafting a trash can). i also got several danger sense potions so i can at least be aware against traps.

also found the jungle. its at the easter end of the map. i didnt go further so cant be sure if there's corruption growing on it. what i can be sure is that in that case, the dungeon must be on the western end of the map. i found an entrance to the underground also but since its past the desert, i'd rather build a hellevator.

EDIT 2:

now i died (a jellyfish spawned right wen i was descending throught an aquifer. however, outside of the spear i wasnt carrying anything that couldnt be recraftable. so i think im gonna start in the same world, the downside is that i lost all the money and potions i had saved on the piggy bank.

EDIT 3:

sold a golden bunny i had sitting around in a chest. bought the katana from the travelling merchant along with the DPS meter and the bug net. i lost a lot but gained much better stuff, im gonna farm the night mobs with this until i get enough bait for fishing. spelunking my ass.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 11:45:17 am by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12456 on: September 18, 2017, 09:41:10 am »

new world, new run, new base:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

trying to play safe with this, no bold moves. last time i died was because of getting locked with a jungle slime (how the hell does that happen?)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12457 on: September 18, 2017, 12:08:57 pm »

Wow, the cactus armor makes you look like a lizardman. I can't tell if those are pauldrons or a frilly neck.

I just started a fresh char/world. Ended up starting with a Legendary copper pick.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12458 on: September 18, 2017, 12:21:27 pm »

Wow, the cactus armor makes you look like a lizardman. I can't tell if those are pauldrons or a frilly neck.

its the best plant armor barring Pearlwood or Spookywood in terms of defensive stats. i dont like the aesthetics of it honestly, it looks well, it looks everything except cactus. i wish that it could have some sort of mesoamerican design taking in account that the Cactus Sword kinda looks like a Macuahuitl. i hope Relogic will update this set one day.

i was thinking on using boreal wood armor as vanity but i needed the wood for the house. 

EDIT:

welp i died again. there was a boulder+dart trap in an underground cave. i was hit by the dart but dodge the rock, healed, and tried to move the slab but turns out wire mechanisms work even if its not over the item. should have placed that thing far away.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 01:19:47 pm by xaritscin »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12459 on: September 18, 2017, 05:09:26 pm »

After not playing Terraria for years, with my new compy I gotta catch up.

Lessons learned, including that a big cluster of thin ice do break all layers under your weight till you make a gory splash on the very bottom. But hey, boreal lanters are cool!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12460 on: September 18, 2017, 07:48:08 pm »

After not playing Terraria for years, with my new compy I gotta catch up.

Lessons learned, including that a big cluster of thin ice do break all layers under your weight till you make a gory splash on the very bottom. But hey, boreal lanters are cool!

pretty much, its the same thin ice that carpets the water in the zone so it is logical to think what would happen if you jumped over it. however, i think you can bypass that with the ice skates, cant remember.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12461 on: September 18, 2017, 09:24:23 pm »

boulder traps shouldnt have the trigger on an ore node, another run that goes down the drain, had evaded and deactivated 2 dart ones and cant distinguish the slab of this one in a gold node. goddammit Relogic.....

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12462 on: September 19, 2017, 04:51:29 am »

Try to get some dangersense potions. They'll light up traps, pressure plates, and spider webs.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12463 on: September 19, 2017, 06:37:08 am »

Or you can keep a pressure plate in your hotbar and switch to it periodically. That will light up any wiring on screen.

It's not a constant effect like the Dangersense potion, but you don't have to worry about quaffing a bunch of valuable potions every few minutes.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12464 on: September 19, 2017, 08:39:32 am »

Doesn't help much for a while, but just using some of the... mechanic, I think? Their buyable stuff. The junk that you can stick in your inventory and toggle off and on to display wiring and whatnot. Renders traps more or less a non-issue, no potions or item fiddling required.

Though re: trap on an ore node, ehehe. The boulder traps aren't the real kick to the crotch, there. If y'haven't ran into one yet, you'll know it when you see it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 829 830 [831] 832 833 ... 887