Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1239041 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12885 on: November 09, 2017, 12:11:06 am »

Spoilered for size, but.

I think my witch doctor just died. Pretty sure the witch doctor died. Doc totally died. In a fire. Dead as all hell.

---

So far as the lasers go, I want to say you can go under or over them, if you have room to dash the same direction they're going and pull down/up as hard as possible, without needing to teleport. 'Bout the best I can offer for that one, though. I may be giving my solid try to dodging, generally, but I also said to hell with it a long ways back and set to freezing my HP. Mostly dealt with the lasers by ramming the lasers, heh.

... alternately, if you can kill it fast enough, either the lasers don't come or there's few enough you can tank what does if you can't dodge it. As harped on repeatedly, a white dwarf setup can do it. Probably best with an elemental disk for the first kill, but a molten whatsit (the providence drop) or shadow dagger can manage.

But yeah, dwarf set bonus + that disk and optionally (double) throwing book (probably the collection and the best single one) will basically straight up delete the devourer. Iirc it can spike into six digit DPS for that fight and maintain 30k+ per second with ease. The friggin' thing only has at most a million HP per notable phase. Can potentially kill it so fast the invincibility that kicks in when the smaller worm comes in doesn't have time to activate. It's faintly absurd. And beautiful. And performance wrecking, ehehe.

The combo's not as strong versus small(er, at least segment wise) enemies (mind you, it still wrecks several different kinds of face), but the dwarf set will just demolish worm enemies, the bigger the better, and with it the elemental disk in particular is just a barrel full of chainsaw monkeys hopped up on PCP and trying to hump every square inch of the boss. Just make sure it's the throwing version of the disk, heh.

E: Though now that I check, the second worm doesn't actually make the DoG invincible, just hides its health bar. Still, the dwarf/disk combo can kill it faster than the obfuscation goes active, so... yeah.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:17:18 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12886 on: November 09, 2017, 06:41:06 pm »

Any tips for setting up containment pre-hard mode or containment in hard mode? I read the wiki and am in a large world and it does not paint a pretty picture....

Put another way, what vanilla biomes should I really care about preserving?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12887 on: November 09, 2017, 07:29:20 pm »

Basically, you want to either 1) create a 3-tile-thick barrier around any biome you want to preserve out of unconvertable materials, such as bricks, or 2) dig a 3-tile-thick hole and leave it empty if you're short on materials. I think the biome you probably wanna preserve For Definitely is the (Underground) Jungle, because Corruption and Hallow turn mud into plain ol' dirt, IIRC.
Black lives matter.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12888 on: November 09, 2017, 07:31:32 pm »

Oi.....

How about, anyone know what the current best world modding program is right now? :P Is TEdit still pretty much the best? I just don't feel like putting in 30 hours of digging.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12889 on: November 09, 2017, 07:38:26 pm »

If the character has the money and you're not that concerned about aesthetics, a good ten stack or so of dynamite straight down on both sides of whatever you want to preserve, and then taking sticky dynamite and connecting the bottom (and top, if you're doing it underground), works just fine. Much faster than trying to dig through it. Conceptually you could want to go deeper, but in practice a ten stack hole will give you more space than you'll probably ever need. And if it turns out you want more later, that's also how you cut out a chunk to clentaminate without having to worry about missing something or more stuff infecting the joint afterwards.

Trick to it all is that 3 tile or whatever is the technical necessity, but that is a hell of a lot of digging and entirely too goddamn much attention to detail. Blow a bomb tunnel around whatever you want to keep and call it a day. Takes a few minutes and you get to blow up a decent chunk of the landscape.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 07:41:02 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12890 on: November 09, 2017, 08:45:37 pm »

That works ok for your stuff. But preserving other biomes after the game generates its diagonal lines of Hallowed and Corruption takes a little more work than just bombing a hole.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12891 on: November 09, 2017, 09:50:03 pm »

I like to sink 2-3 shafts on each side of the spawn. That way the hallow and corruption will both end up as vertical slices and be prevented from growing out of the center third.

Using stacks of explosives to dig the shafts is by far the fastest way, unless you cheat in (or bring from another world) a drill containment unit mount...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12892 on: November 10, 2017, 07:57:52 am »

Or run a few mods, containment unit wise. The game has room to dig significantly faster than that thing manages by default, yeah. Most of the means I've seen are post secondary infestation, but eh.

Any case, means of preserving other biomes I'm recommending is to just kinda' not try for the whole thing. Pick a chunk that's untouched and treat it after the spread, or blow out a chunk prior and clentaminate the manageable bit that gives afterwards. You only need so much of it for critter et al generation, heh, and it's waaaaay less trouble to keep or make a handful of screens in a few spots clean than try to save the whole thing.

Though apparently if you really want to keep the whole jungle, hallow doesn't convert mud? Could conceptually line the thing with hallow and call it a day, so far as jungle preservation goes. Also... the spread generally isn't that fast. If you're on a large world in particular it's fairly unlikely you won't finish whatever it is you intend to do before it becomes much of an issue, so just... not worrying about it, is pretty viable.
Ask not!
Ask!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12893 on: November 10, 2017, 10:23:45 pm »

If you're super lazy you could probably load up a terrain editor and just delete land that's in the way.

I still recommend dynamite.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12894 on: November 10, 2017, 11:11:36 pm »

a bit of messing around has shown that you can tank the Devourer of Gods underwater because of some accesories giving greater resistances underwater. you can practically sit still with the only issue being oxygen.

fighting him in the ocean gives enough space to dodge the final phases but i cant react enough to that thing resummoning itself while dodging those lasers everywhere. seriously i dont get whats the point of making these bosses to absurd both in damage and resistance.

anyways, im gonna see if i can take replace the 7th slot with the celestial shell so i can take it down without having to move from the water.

EDIT:

hmmmm i need all the damage reduction i can get so the celestial shell doesnt do much here, gill potions and the bloody worm scarf seem to be the way to go. i hope i get to the final phase this time

EDIT2:

fuck i was so close. i dont get why such a bullshit boss has to have like 5 phases taking in account the amount of damage it puts and how time you waste bringing it to low health. it doesnt make it challenging it makes it unbearable to fight.

EDIT3:

ok that's it, im uninstalling Calamity. i cant keep up with this shit. crafting the Heart of The Elements was nice and all but i cant deal with this amount of whacked stuff. fighting The Ragnarok was much more bearable than this fucking worm. if the rest of the roster pulls the same stupidity of this one then i dont see the point of playing. its just masochistic. im not gonna use cheats or change to another class, i i cant kill this thing with summoner and extra ranged support then the mod isnt doing any good. 7 accesory slots and over 800 health is useless against these guys. its a waste of time.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 12:31:08 am by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12895 on: November 11, 2017, 07:19:44 am »

Ehehe. Yeah, yharon is arguably worse than the worm (if for no other reason relative to this mod trio that the elemental disk + white dwarf set explodes the worm*), and while I haven't even attempted the bullshit of the final boss, I'll note again it will auto-kill you if you get hit 30 times and has damage that scales. On top of some other things. The wiki apparently calls it a "superboss", which seems to be code for "utter bastard".

The birb's not that bad, though, I think. Least of the three post-worm bosses. You pretty much need something like the rag chariot to handle it, but if you've got that you can mostly kite it without much trouble. 'Course, if you don't have it the little shit will instapop you through like 900 health if it touches you but hey, that's calamity's end game (when it's not just flat instakilling you, anyway).

* Though I would totally say try that at least once for catharsis before you uninstall, heh. It's nice to see the worm get squished after it screws you over a few times.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 07:23:58 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12896 on: November 11, 2017, 11:19:43 am »

i decided to give one last try to the mod. see if i can beat the last part with another class. was thinking on mele with Yoyos this time. thrower sounds cool and all (the plague doctor armor looks cool) but i need extra defense to see if at least i can tank those final bosses long enough to recover. so melee is the way to go. gonna see if i can craft the Asra Nox artifact weapon (really nice reference, Spirit mod).

so far the center of the map is calm. 3 living trees, 2 with the room and one with the sap. but im not playing summoner this time. at least one seem to connect direct with the underground via the room (need to craft an entrance). the other tree has 2 demon altars on both sides, and found a pocket of diamonds while opening the tunnel to one of them.

on the other hand, the corruption stats at the west, and there's a huge vertical elevation at the east. gonna check if i can get Wulfrum armor just for the extra stats early.

EDIT:

the desert is past the mountain which is actually crossed by a tunnel. also turns out that these surface entrances are dead ends. they only lead to pockets of empty space inside the soil. i found 2 chests so far. one had a starting healer item, the other had the blowpipe. gonna take a time to find a compass here, what i can do is either farm for Wulfrum or go for Cactus. the wulfrum part is safer and the mobs that drop it tend to appear rather frequently.

in terms of NPCs. as always, the Cook was the first to appear because of mushroom harvesting. having food early may help a lot right now taking in account i dont have enough hearts, it could help to survive travelling the desert.

another option i think is to find the tundra and harvest icy shards for crafting frozen armor and items.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 01:09:42 pm by xaritscin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12897 on: November 11, 2017, 05:33:56 pm »

If you're super lazy you could probably load up a terrain editor and just delete land that's in the way.

Like I asked above, anyone know which one is current? I went looking for an updated copy of TEdit and got led a lot of different places looking for it.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12898 on: November 11, 2017, 05:47:10 pm »

As far as I know, TEdit is both current and probably the best to use.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 887