Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 861 862 [863] 864 865 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1239093 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12930 on: November 15, 2017, 11:22:21 am »

ok upgraded Calamity to the newest version and added that Magic Storage mod. started all over in a blank character and world. first night has arrived and the house is already done.this spawn is a bit cramped because there's some holes and a tunnel entrance near spawn. the tundra is close to home so i got to harvest that boreal wood quickly.

got several chests from the underground with different stuff, Radar, Boomerang, Aglet, Umbrella and Beginner's Guide to Plant Fiber Cordage. with assorted other stuff that allowed to make a copper hammer and and anvil with a few ingots to spare.

i was thinking on doing a Bard run. but im not sure if it would last past Moon Lord/Ragnarok taking in account there's no post-Ragnarok Bard armor. so the other option is go thrower solely (have like 85 shurikens already to spend here) or go hybrid Thrower + Bard taking in account that Bard weapons will be mostly backup.

EDIT:

yeah im gonna go with that. there's some progression in terms of throwing armors and i can still use Bard weapons semi effectively. already crafted a Wooden Whistle as poking weapon then use shurikens to finish the job. zombies and eyes still need a few more hits to get killed but i guess once i get Rogue Armor it will be easier and cheaper.

EDIT2:

started digging the hill to make space for the Rogue's house. nothing too fancy for now because i may need to descontruct everything later on to make space for the Amphitheater. while waiting for him i explored the surroundings a bit. the Corruption spawned on top of the tundra, so wont be able to go further west. there were 2 living wood trees without any room and the desert is past them.

got to kill some Wulfrum mobs for some shards but since im using Rogue Armor now, it may be wise to convert that Wulfrum into throwing daggers or something.

i dont have the money to buy the accesories yet. it shouldnt take too long.

EDIT3:

still dont have enough money to buy the Rogue's Accesories. but i went and explored further the tunnels and found a good amount of web and killed some crawlers for Topaz. Topaz can be used to make an enchanted ring that bonuses throwing damage, already did the normal version, now i just need some more fallen stars to make the required power to enchant it flat +4 damage to throwing weapons is a good investment for now.

im gonna try and get more copper to craft a Tambourine, already got the required amount of Cloth out of the web i harvested. it should help me greatly to deal with the current enemies. maybe even against the Grand Thunderbird later on.

EDIT4:

found some copper under the houses and in the tunnels. it was more than enough to complete the material requirements for the Tambourine.  killing some slimes and a Topaz Crawler left me with enough extra silver for buying one of the throwing accesories. the other will take time to get.

not that i have a semireliable source of damage, im gonna start farming in the desert for the materials to summon the Grand Thunderbird. i'll probably need to defeat several times to get the next Thrower armor along with the tools and other stuff.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:52:17 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12931 on: November 15, 2017, 06:48:53 pm »

Bard wise... definite suggestion as soon as you can survive it: Go find a marble biome and murder up some bronze alloy. There's a tuning fork you can make with it that's probably one of the best supporting bard weapons in the game, "my pure thorium run was still chucking the things at the moon lord" level good.

What it does is stick a fork onto what you can hit with it, and then give you a cheerful 10% bonus to every damage type against the forked critter. You can stick more than one, too (iirc it's 3 or 4), and they last long enough you can tear out a good chunk with whatever your primary weapons are (though for a while, the fork itself is pretty darn good just as a weapon on its own) before needing to reapply. Quite nice, pretty sure they carried me from around EoW or skeletron through at least the first mechanical kill, and I kept using  'em for a good while longer.

... also there's some tambourines you can make fairly early? I want to say with evil biome wood and some other stuff. Might be next tier or two above the copper ones I belatedly noticing you mentioning, heh. Acts like a boomerang, is quite nice... seem to recall its big trick being you can stack more than one, with regular mechanics for that doing their thing.

Last little tidbit if you're dipping into bard, it's not a bad idea to keep one of the (cheap) homing weapons around (if you're not mainlining them). You generally have enough inspiration regen to let you keep one or two of their projectiles around, and particularly for the few that also bounce, they're really good at alerting you to enemies ahead of time when you're exploring. Not too bad at shooting around corners, too, ehehe.

E: Unrelated, but does anyone happen to have a good idea as to the quickest way to fish up junk? Current mod mess has a really nice fishing accessory, that is itself component to an approaching god mode fishing accessory, that requires old shoes. Fiddling around with fishing power accessories and water size and whatnot, but when I tank my fishing power it takes forever to hook something, and even one additional thing seems to put it over the edge to get much more fish than footwear.

E2: Or not, heh. Actually torching it out and making an exactly 75 tile large pond to fish in seems to have helped enough I'm no longer quite so tempted to try to get an autofishing script running.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 07:15:26 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12932 on: November 15, 2017, 07:40:40 pm »

yeah the minimum is 75 tiles to be able to fish with a malus.

went to the desert to get those antlion mandibles and vulture talons. turns out the Tambourine is good enough to fend off all the enemies (even Angry Tumblers). but yeah got swarmed during the sandstorm and died because 7 defense is not enough.

im running low in storage. well, i have 1 chest running right now. i havent got into the Magic Storage yet but im planning to do it once i have the geolocation to start putting the limits of the Amphitheater. until then, im gonna see howmuch i can take out and put it in my character to save space. i really need to get a compass this time.

EDIT:

finally got another fallen star to make the Enchanted Topaz Ring. now i just need to get 3 more Topazes and some rotten chunks to craft the yellow gauntlet which should up my throwing damage another 7-8%

im also close to getting enough gold to buy the other throwing accesory from the Rogue. im gonna use all of that to see if i can farm in the desert without dying (i think).

EDIT2:

took some exploration supplies from the chest to make space. went to the tunnel to search further for any mob that dropped compasses. well turns out this tunnel near spawn goes down close to a Spider Nest. no, i didnt die, but i wasnt taking any chances.

on the good side i got enough gold to buy the last Throwing Accesory from the Rogue.

made a trip to the desert, platformed the Antlion Nest with cactus and killed some desert mobs in the way. there's 2 deserts and some forest with 2 sword shrines before reaching the jungle. i didnt went further because of the sun setting already.

i yielded enough talons to make the Grand Flare Gun and a Storm Flare. so gotta try and be cautious when fighting the Grand Thunderbird since i dont have defensive modifiers. i also found another chest with the Flute on it. good backup weapon taking in account that the Tambourine doesnt consume any inspiration so i can use both for combat then throw some shurikens.

the homing toots from the Flute should help me during the Hatchling phase, then use the Tambourine for poking the big bird. shurikens should be the main source of damage but i have to check when to throw them since its a flier and the starting throwables tend to be rather low on range.

EDIT3:

hmmm these spiders had a tough defensive system in their nest, one dart and one boulder trap (WTF worldgen). didnt die tho. but yeah cant advance much from there.

and it seems im gonna need Wulfrum to beat the Grand Thunderbird, it has killed me 3 times because of lack of defense. Rogue armor doesnt really live up for its investment. i need something more protective. i dont have any potions either so its mostly  dodging thing.

EDIT4:

yeah wulfrum was the way to go to beat this bird. got enough sandstone ingots to make the Sandstorm Armor. it gives the same defense stats as Wulfrum but sacrifices the defense set bonus for a double jump set bonus.

i went and explored the underground tundra to see if i can get the compass there, found 2 hearts and a node of Thorium. gonna save until i can craft the anvil then see if i can get some better stuff before scarabeus (the double jump would be good to have in this fight tho).

i died to a spiked ice slime but i found  some tungsten ingots and the extractinator. if i can farm some more icy shards i will be able to craft the Glacial Piccolo to replace both bard weapons. and then have it saved later on for crafting the Song of Ice and Fire.

as for the Thunderbird's other drops. got the expert mode drop and a sword that can be fused with Thorium ingots later on to make another sword. im not melee so i was thinking on selling it later.

and now that i have some hearts i cold increase my health to enable Blood Moons. the problem is surviving them. Lead Shurikens from the Rogue have like 18 damage with current equipment, i dont remember how much damage those zombie hands have.

EDIT5:

got enough shards to make the Glacial Piccolo. also, foun another heart and some slush. forgot to bring topazes from the tundra but i can do that later. decided to carry the sword just in case i need to dish some melee damage.

made a exploration of the underground desert in order to get antlion mandibles, got to kill a Cnidrion and but a second one stole my gold. in terms of damage the Glacial Piccolo is good even without damage modifiers because of the frostburn and the defense buff.

im gonna test it against Scarabeus later. and im still in need of getting a compass.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:06:17 am by xaritscin »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12933 on: November 16, 2017, 12:17:05 am »

I hope this game updates to a new version number soon.
I keep getting all excited at first glance, thinking the ss13 thread has seen some activity, only to realise my mistake. :(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12934 on: November 16, 2017, 07:20:54 am »

... yes, yes, come in and wish that the major discussion point for the last few pages gets screwed over.

Condolences to your regular reading failure, but it'd be real nice if mod compatibility didn't get broke yet again any time soon.
Ask not!
Ask!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12935 on: November 16, 2017, 03:15:38 pm »

Speaking of mods: MechTransfer.

I use it with vanilla conveyor belts to make fully automated farms, in particular a glowing mushroom farm and a statue powered gel farm. Other uses include avoiding problems with the 400 item limit in my event grinder, and condensing coins from the same grinder into golds (otherwise the chest fills with copper and silver way, way too fast).

Basically the mod adds item collection, movement, and sorting, as well as auto-crafting, just like you could do in properly modded minecraft.

No more need to stand in the bottom of your grinders to collect the items or risk losing them, now you can be a productive part of the fight. No more need to keep visiting your glowing mushroom farm to harvest, just stop by to empty the chest when you need more.

Next I think I'll build a second copy of my gel farm for jellyfish. It should bring in lots of very sellable glowsticks and necklaces.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12936 on: November 16, 2017, 04:13:10 pm »

Muh little server has 3 towns and and and I made a spiffy manor \o/

Now to build a castle or something :vc
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12937 on: November 16, 2017, 04:51:39 pm »

Heh. I'll probably take a picture when NPCs stop coming, but my inverted ziggurat apartments are at the seventh or eighth layer at the moment. First two or three floors are a bit muddy room wise (there's five between the first two, three on the third), but after that it's been +1 total rooms on floor per layer, a new layer getting added every time the last gets full. The current topmost layer only has a room or three left open, too... and there's at least one guy I've got that doesn't seem to want to leave the eastern ocean.

The insides are mostly mostly-econobox rooms (because if I was doing much else I probably wouldn't have killed the EoW yet or some such nonsense) with fairly uniform furniture for each individual layer (which on the whole is, of course, fairly atrocious and clashing if you consider the entire onstruction), barring some consistently inconsistent ones, but the scale of this thing is starting to get silly even for box apartment complexes and I'm not even in hard mode yet :V

If you've ever wanted to motivate yourself to build in this game and can only manage it when there's NPCs to house, jamming a bunch of mods in your game is apparently the way to go.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12938 on: November 16, 2017, 06:06:19 pm »

a second small incursion into the underground tundra finally paid out. discovered some more tunnels, got a massive chunk of gold from an explosive trap and got a compass from an undead viking.

the bad side is that according to it, the houses are inside the range where the Amphitheater should be so im gonna have to demolish the whole hill  and flatten beyond there to be able to set up the town. i've already started demolishing a floating piece of it along with its background wall.then it should be adding filler to the rest of the tunnel or use the tunnel when building the demolitionist house. im not sure to be honest.

i was also going to try and fight Scarabeus with the Sandstorm Armor and the glacial piccolo but forgot i dont have access to a demon altar unless i venture into the corruption.

EDIT:

took a bit of time but i did it, mined almost a stack of dirt blocks out of it. then used it to fill a good part of the remaining tunnel. the rest of the dirt is being saved to lvl the rest of the terrain past the hill. there's a little more than 300 tiles worth of dirt to place to fill some waterspots and a little depression.

what im gonna do is mark the distances then demolish and start building at the mark of 200 tiles. that gives 40 tiles of distance from the east end of where im going to put the Amphitheater. im gonna try and do the same later on with the other side if i dont get enough building space.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 08:13:55 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12939 on: November 16, 2017, 08:13:37 pm »

Bloody goddamn hell. More or less fatfingered a zerg potion. Promptly panicked, didn't want it to go to waste (currently don't have the sludge to make another), only one thing I could remember wanting to farm... an obsidian rose.

So, of course, I immediately jumped down the hellavator. Way down was mostly uneventful except roadkilling something I didn't notice before it died and spending some time in a place or two goomba stomping something that had managed to jump in below me.

Exit was hopy shit levels of congested -- I had used that instant hellavator thing to make it, so the side exits were only the 5 tiles high or so I dug out the 1 tile thick wall. They were buried in slimes, bats, imps, three or so bone serpents humping the land trying to get to me, etc. Digging out further up was a joke, as everything above those entrances were basically layered in flying enemies. Demons, more bats, those gluttony things, crap falling in from the caverns above, so on. Normal zerg rush environment, basically.

Now, I try to clear enough space to get out (I've been constantly forgetting to get a knockback canceller, so I couldn't just walk out and tank it very easily). This actually lasts for a bit, as I had done up the surroundings pretty well to prevent voodoo trigger, and eventually my summons manage to stop humping the wall and start woodchipping the mass of meat trying to agglomerate its way up to where I was hooked to the hellavator wall.

Amusingly enough, I'm pretty sure that's what caused what most reading has already figured out was going to happen. When my seven-ish stack of dank creeper and blood clot started chewing into the enemies swarming into the bottom of the hell shaft, slimes started dying so fast that, despite the fact most of the bottom and surrounding area were vented to let lava drain, lava was not just collecting but rising up the hellavator by sheer dint of collective slime death. And, of course, spreading its way into the surrounding area.

So said obvious thing happened. Something killed a (okay, probably several between the point the first appropriately placed one dropped the doll and it landed, the spawn rate was actually more than just the 30x zerg effect) voodoo demon. The slime genocide got its last laugh, as I then got to experience the wall of flesh, mid zerg rush, with it starting with me still inside the hellavator, without knockback immunity, unwilling to cancel the potion effect, and the exits (and land outside, and air, and ceiling, and...) buried in things that wanted me dead.

Not only was the wall coming with its normal stuff happening, most everything between ceiling and floor (and below floor) was covered in so many enemies it was like there was another wall of flesh in front of the other, except made out of demons and bats and shit. Extra fun bonus points, the direction the wall was moving? I hadn't explored more than like a half a screen or so, yet, and I had no intention of freezing my health and shitkicking things that way.

So yes, vulgarity started flowing copiously as panic mode left easy modo 30x spawn rate and went into extra hard, I jammed my character into the mass of death (which ate about half my 424 health even with a 100 point heal) and did my damnedest to flee and chuck whatever I could in the other direction.

Now, no spoiler here, this ended with my ass hella' dead. Despite everything I made it past three buildings and a hill before the last bit took me. What was pretty goddamn amazing, imo? Wall's HP at the end, expert mode and all? 366. I almost got the blighter even though my total prep was farm proofing going the wrong direction, whatever crap I was carrying at the time, and a knee-jerk jump into the hell hole after forgetting the all buffs button includes the zerg potion.

Overall, even dead as hell at the end of it, the experience was pretty damn great. 9/10, would panic jump my way face first into a 30x+ spawn rate pre-wall hell again.
Ask not!
Ask!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12940 on: November 16, 2017, 08:30:47 pm »

I need to try that mod, if only for the zerg potion...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12941 on: November 16, 2017, 08:40:24 pm »

I... think it's calamity? That has it. It wasn't active (nah, just a battle potion and water candle on top the zerg, ha), but GRealm also has a 2x accessory you can build early-ish and something in the mess I'm running has a 10x one, too, though that's hard mode (and maybe post moon lord, been a bit since I saw the recipe).

Still, riding out a zerg potion is definitely one of the more enjoyable things I've done in terraria. Consistently great watching everything pile in from everywhere, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12942 on: November 16, 2017, 09:17:47 pm »

ok the area related to the Amphitheater and the town has been flattened. allthought i ran out of dirt while filling a natural hole. i still need to level alot of terrain past it. it also took a bit of time to move the houses around. but i did it and now can start thinking on expanding the main house, then work on the other one.

once the next morning arrives im gonna start digging the basements and expande the first floor to make space for the second floor foundations. the Rogue's house is at a proper distance from my house as far as i put it.  mining the basement floors should yield enough dirt to finish filling that hole. if not, i can always start working in the hellevator, since im gonna need lots of stone to make the slab walls (even at that 1x1 material efficiency you need a lot of the damn thing to build the structure at its basic lvl).

expanding the houses should yield the rest of the NPCs i was needing (Merchant, Cook, Desert Acolyte)...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12943 on: November 16, 2017, 11:34:35 pm »

... man, the rng seems terribly sentient sometimes. I needed the jungle fishing pole to finish an item. I, I'm pretty sure thanks to a divining rod, raided every single jungle chest in my medium world jungle. No pole. I spent a good half hour+ abusing the fishing bug* I noticed looking for autofish scripts. Probably around a dozen jungle crates opened. No pole.

Frustration sets in. Decide to go raid a small world I had made to fight crimson bosses. First. First goddamn jungle chest I find, after emptying a medium world of jungle chests. Fishing pole.

I'm glad I found it, and found it quickly during the raid, don't get me wrong. But seriously, go screw yourself, game. Jerk.

* Autopause on, cast lure, open inventory, throw something out of inventory with it still open, close inventory. Hey presto, two more lures. Forty+ lures in one go is surprisingly unhelpful for fishing up crates.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12944 on: November 16, 2017, 11:46:41 pm »

finally finished building the house. secon floor is ready and got the merchant. now i need to make the backgound walls for the basements. the problem is that i ran out of stone (and i only have a bit of iron because i had to crafte some extra chests).

once i've finished the required amount of chests im gonna start messing around with the Magic Storage thingy. but for now i need them in physical form.

im gonna start with the hellevator since i need to get more dirt (ironic, its one of the most numerous blocks and i need it to keep going with the landscaping) on top of that stone. i also need boreal wood again (because the game is weird and decides to consume the less numerous woods when i need it to eat the big stack of normal wood).

EDIT:

dug until the crossing with the tundra. found 2 cabins, one with the magic mirror and the other with the spiked shoes. also, got to kill 2 sapphire crawlers for extra materials. most of the descent was solid blocks with only a few pockets. so i got a lot of dirt and a bit of stone. im gonna go deeper tomorrow. it only scratched like 200-300 blocks down (dont have a depth meter to measure it yet).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 12:31:00 am by xaritscin »
Pages: 1 ... 861 862 [863] 864 865 ... 887