Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 862 863 [864] 865 866 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1239047 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12945 on: November 17, 2017, 08:23:56 am »

Today I learned: One of these mods (probably thorium) introduces butterflies that will explode when you catch them. Dynamite level, 422 to 0 hp through 48 armor, just big enough to hit at the extreme range of the golden net, explode. Et tu, game?

E: And later, I'm reminded the enchanted sundial speeds up time rather than skips it. No, game, I wasn't ready for a blue moon about three days into hard mode. Wasn't even able to keep all my npcs alive during the fast forward despite most of the critters spawned being unable to go through doors (or at least the 3 tile high spaces they fill). Rest in pieces, gobbro the second.

E2: You ever get that oddly specific feeling you might be indulging in slime king farming a bit too much?

Yeah, me neither.

... that was the output of a five stack of the ten king summon items, incidentally. So fifty slime kings done one ten set at a time because even two drops so much junk stuff starts to despawn. Checking, I started it off killing the 5250th during the first batch, so there were over a thousand blue slimes killed, just now. Might just be set on light souls for a while, whee~
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:29:59 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12946 on: November 17, 2017, 09:19:38 pm »

doug out the hellevator further until reaching the cavern layer. there's at least 2 minecart rails and one of them connected to a tunnel that linked it to the main tunnel in the tundra. i also finished the second floors on both houses to get the Desert Acolyte and the Merchant.

the Acolyte doesnt sell much until hardmode but the rune is welcomed. i tried to survey the corruption looking for demon altars but none of the chasm i went down connected to the underground part. really weird.

so i genned a small crimson world to check on crimson altars. got enough materials to craft 3 scarab idols but fighting Scarabeus as a thrower is hell. the Sandstorm armor wasnt tanky enough and that thing matching your jumps was really annoying. so i dont know what to do.

probably gonna try looking for Stormlions and kill the Desert Scourge instead. easier to kill and i dont waste so much shurikens.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12947 on: November 18, 2017, 11:17:08 am »

Worried about mechanical bosses, stuff had kinda' been kicking me around so far. Pirates 'bout killed me, there's things in hell that effectively one shot me, armor's only somewhat better than what's I killed the wall with, etc., etc., etc.

Was getting annoyed by lack of hallowed bars though, so I figured, what the hell, midnight or not push comes to shove I've got three extra worms in the bank if I don't have the dakka or it explodes me. Gave it a shot.

End results, between midnight and about 3:45 AM game time, the destroyer died four times. Between a pirate dropped juggernaut (90-ish damage flail that snaps its head off on crits) with an unholy enchant (causes weapon crits to spew poison clouds) and a small swarm of master librams (summons that are basically random late pre-wall/early hard mode spells that follow you around shooting at things), I was apparently much, much better equipped to faceroll this particular boss than I thought I was.

It's good to be wrong :3

E: You know you're kinda' out of it when you expand a spider nest by about 6k backwall and can't get your head to figure out why you did it besides a halfhearted "Spider box?" that's as much of question as answer  :-\

I'd post a screenie but it's literally just a square a few screens in size filled with spider nest backwall. There's some iron ore that got knocked out during the excavation process sitting about in the middle of it.  Spiders crawl up from the floor and try to eat you, but get caught on the platform and your minions kill them.

E2: swept up the drops that piled up while I was typing that.  Collected fangs are at 243. Think I already had like a hundred back home, with spider set built and more than enough to build anything else that needed 'em. I... guess I can sell them?

E3: Incidentally, after getting the last spider banner I could there, did one last sweep, put a few extra in the bank, and did just that. Turns out a 400 stack of spider fang sells for 20 gold. Not. Not the most economical of farming options, even if you include the other drops...

E4: Oh yeah... xant (or anyone that's playing with thorium on), I forget the exact recipe but there's a gun that's either pre-wall or early hard mode called the slugger. You might want to check it out, as it turns out momentum and knockback can get some bit wonky in terraria, and if you point the gun in the opposite direction you want to go and keep shooting, you can do stuff like glide nearly horizontal (i.e. cross near half of a medium map with a single frozen wing wearing jump, and that starting at ground level) or actually tribes-style skate/bunny hop (if you touch down for a short enough period after a jump, you apparently retain and continue to build speed, which can get faintly ludicrous if you can avoid ramming into a wall or somethin'). Very nice for pre-teleport/fast shoes/mount/whatever travel.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 08:53:27 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12948 on: November 19, 2017, 09:52:41 am »

unlike the other worls i've genned, Stormlions are really rare to find, only killed one and it didnt drop the mandible. guess they appear more frequently when raining so yeah, getting to kill the Desert Scourge will take a bit of time.

i got some more antlion mandibles tho, and even a mandible blade which seems that it can be converted into a cool sword later on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12949 on: November 20, 2017, 02:12:22 pm »

... anyone else noticed that solar eclipse possessed interact pretty ruddy oddly with conveyor belts? Because as the third or fourth one in the last minute or two moonwalkglides across the bottom of my screen at slime mount freefall speeds, I'm noticing they interact pretty oddly with conveyor belts.

Particularly inclines pushing they opposite direction they're going when they land on them. Causes 'em to superspeed screw off to wherever the end of the belt is. It's amusing, but also somewhat disconcerting.

E: bugger double posting

Anyway, yes. This erilipah... thing. It's a mod, adds some neat stuff, new biome. Biome's definitely interesting at least in the sense that you don't quite expect it when you first encounter enough devil rock the biome filter kicks on. Kinda' boring once you figure out what's up and actually find something that can mine it, but at least in the beginning it's pretty neat, something I'd put in the plus column for a modded run.

You might have noticed some of the caveats, there. Some point post wall, it apparently starts spreading. Despite a patch about two screens at most from my spawn, I didn't notice until a good while after killing plantera. The trick to it that takes things from just another spreading biome to something I would probably enjoy setting fire to, is that rather than spreading like your normal sort of aggressive biome, it spreads primarily a) by way of backwall, b) intentionally staying behind other blocks, and c) will happily convert player placed, house viable walling.

Which is to say I noticed the spread right about the time the filter kicked on in the right side of my base, at which point it had apparently spread behind probably 3/4ths of said base, cheerfully ignoring open backwall right up until the point the tiles making up walls and floors and whatnot had been converted.

That filter is basically a light dimmed negative filter, or something like that. While interesting as something to encounter, I call it the devil rock for a reason and it's pretty obnoxious to spend much time in. Quietly taking over your base, to all appearances intentionally trying to stay hidden until most of your shit is fucked? Massive. Dick. Move. Fixing would take a map editor or functionally tearing apart (as in completely replacing the backwall inside all the blocks my base and a bunch of other crap) my junk/relocating the NPCs well elsewhere.

Just... anyway. Don't. Maybe at some point it will develop further and have a means to manage the crap, but currently they don't and the shit's immune to clem solution. If you happen to ignore containment or some gets in anyway, it becomes a complete pain in the ass. The neat stuff and interesting when static and only when static biome ain't worth this shit.

Much later E2: The top speed of a slugger propelled ufo across a medium map's ceiling (without messing with portals or something, anyway) is roughly 865 mph. Knowledge is power, yo' joe it well.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:30:25 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12950 on: December 16, 2017, 08:59:53 pm »

calamity has been getting some new stuff with the most recent updates. hopefully some of the bosses will be less of a headache to get around (still bummed in not being able to kill the DoG but oh well).

there should be an update for the spirit mod at the end of the year but im not sure when. also, Overhaul is being beta tested by donators so yeah, 2.0 version is coming at last.

as for the official game, 1.3 for console has been finally deployed.

i updated the game and decided to give a try again. problem is that i dont know which class to get now, got lucky with a godly copper shortsword and and antlion dropped a Mandible Bow. so maybe i should go ranged this time.

EDIT:

nevermind, gotta start all over again because i send all my current stuff to the trash thinking i was using a chest...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 09:24:09 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12951 on: December 17, 2017, 01:02:08 am »

it took a bit of time to get the needed materials for a proper house in this spawn point. everything is more or less distanced by elevation. there's crimson on both sides from what i've explored. the east side is mostly desert until it reaches the jungle, which is intersected by crimson in the middle. it will be a royal pain to deal with that later in hardmode.

the jungle is so displaced that it goes straight into the ocean, so yeah, very tropical location. i've only found one entrance tunnel in the tundra and its intersected with a crimson hand, so far the crimson mobs have been tame to deal with and i was able to get 2 hearts deep in the ice.

im going with melee again in this run, since the world is crimson, i'll have to make an artificial corruption to summon the EoW and the Hive Mind but that means i wont have to get a bugged battle and will be able to kill the worm without loosing the expert mode loot.

so far only found 3 chests. very few accesories on them, just an aglet with Guarding and no iron bars either so i had to make an anvil myself.

right now im already in melee Wulfrum Armor (glad they revised the material requirements of that set, i may use the rest of the mats to craft the new pickaxe), Ruby Ring (soon to be enchanted if i get the required stars) for melee damage and the Family Heirloom.

only weapons avaliable right now are a Fruitcake Chakram (first time i get the christmas event, gonna save the presents for now, the weapon is good enough) and a Frostblade Katana (early game broadsword from Thorium using Icy Shards from tundra mobs, 9 base damage or so, no autoswing but it can apply Frostburn).

i would go for Yoyos but there's not enough web for making even the wooden one so im going to wait until i get the merchant to buy the Fool's Gold (it was hard to pull out the last time anyways, allthought it served me well).

went melee mostly because of the heavy tanking accesories, the most recent additions to Calamity have some good stuff that i could use to tank the bosses but they require melee as far as i've seen. besides, i havent really delved into that class, specially the imbuing thing, and there's a lot of melee weapons i could get, mostly swords.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12952 on: December 17, 2017, 04:28:39 am »

Santa acquired, yeeey.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12953 on: December 17, 2017, 10:49:16 am »

the Antiaris mod has been released:

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/antiaris.59884/

guess its testing time. hopefully it wont mess around with the other mods.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12954 on: December 17, 2017, 10:39:29 pm »

well, havent advanced much but the mod adds some cool stuff. first stuff to happen was that i died when activating Revengeance (that's one weird interaction) right at the start of the run.

there was also an instance where i killed one of the mod enemies and a slimer spawned right after it died (dafuq).

i have yet to update to the latest version of the mod.

landing site has been complicated because of no good tunnels into the underground. but have found a lot of chests already and the terrain is tame enough for allowing exploration. current armor is Wulfrum (melee) with the Family Heirloom, Enchanted Ruby Ring and a pair of Flurry Boots.

initially i crafted a Frostfire Katana out of icy shards but the new mod has a 15 base damage broadsword with autoswing that summons a damaging bush when hitting enemies. it has quite a big sprite size so it was a proper replacement. the only materials required were some leaves, wood and some essence dropped by a night mob.

digging a hellevator will be a pain tho. because the mod makes some sort of "starting structure" which is basically a half destroyed cabin right at the spawn point with the guide. i would have to destroy the thing to make the hole.

anyways, im gonna update this thing and keep going. there's some neat stuff ahead from what i've seen in the crafting list of the guide. totally recommend this mod.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12955 on: December 17, 2017, 11:59:26 pm »

If you're running some other ones, there's one mod or another (think it's either calamity, thorium, or grealm, but I'd have to check) that adds an instant hellavator -- takes dynamite, desert fossils, rope, and torches, iirc.

Really useful, one click and you got a five wide brick hole, lit up the whole way and with a rope down the middle, from wherever you use it straight to the very bottom of the map -- and as near as I've noticed it takes the starting point as horizontal with your character, so you can start it underneath something else (like a starting structure) real easy. I tend to just put it a half screen/screen away from whatever I end up using as as spawn point, though.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12956 on: December 18, 2017, 07:31:52 am »

naaa i think i'll just make a basement in the guide's cabin and start digging from there. just to not mess around with the garden.

well there's a bug regarding the Antiaris NPCs so i cant bring the Merchant. gonna have to wait until they add the latest bugfix.

so i went to check the Magic Storage page to see the recipes and how it works. turns out i need a lot of gems, gonna have to start putting the other chests to use somewhere while hunting crawlers.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12957 on: December 18, 2017, 08:58:46 am »

Magic storage doesnt need as many gems as it seems. One good pocket of each will have you set, and it adds in special diamond drops from bosses to cover your diamond needs. Five hellstone storage units is an insane amount of space, in general.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12958 on: December 18, 2017, 12:46:31 pm »

still waiting on the next Antiaris patch (need to get rid of that NPC housing bug).

i only have like 4 diamonds and a ruby. im hoping to get some Crawler mobs from Calamity to spawn in the underground since they tend to drop a good amount of gems each one. if not, i have to probe for an Extractinator and start stacking Silt/Slush wherever i find it.

made basements for the two houses in the center. one is the storage room which should be updated once i can start replacing chests with storage units, the other is a small workshop with the few crafting stations that i could cram there.

the workshop has an opening to the hellevator since i got lucky and a piranha dropped the compass. the main problem now is that there's a limited supply of rope and i cant get the Merchant until the housing bug is fixed (the Adventurer NPC is occupying both slots in the other house and i cant remove him).

so im waiting until theyput the update in the forum. i would got and fight the Grand Thunderbird but need a Yoyo or something to hit from afar because this Forest Claymore is a non-projectile sword. i got the Ice Blade in a chest but i feel more enticed to craft a "Royal Roll" which is the second best wooden yoyo from all the 4 mods (there's a whole set of wooden yoyos, including this one which is made with Dynasty Wood, sadly, there's no Spooky Yoyo made of Spooky Wood).

EDIT:

started exploring the antlion nest to see if i could find anything usefull. found some web and rope. an antlion dropped the mandible bow and got to craft the Royal Roll but this yoyo isnt actually that good. it has a fairle short range so i cant use it against the bird, it also as a fairly short throw time. since i need another 30 to make the white string, i went to fight the Grand Thunderbird with the bow instead.

no bugs so far and the fight was easy thanks to some potions i've collected from chests. the boss didnt drop the Zephyr but that's an optional item so its ok, got the Thunder Talon sword which is one point below in damage compared to the Forest Claymore but its a projectile sword that i can later upgrade with Thorium Bars.

as always the thunderbird drops the Talon Burst bow (expert mode drop). it has less base damage than the Mandible Bow, the difference is that this one converts arrows into storm bolts that hit the target twice, since it does 12 damage including the ammunition, then it would do more damage per hit compared to the other bow.

anyways, now that the Thunderbird has been slain, the next boss is Scarabeus, but im gonna need more health and buffs to defeat it. and that means getting better armor. Thorium armor would be the best lead because i may need gold/plat for something else.

EDIT2:

welp, someone in the forum seems to have found the issue with the NPCs. the other NPC from that mod causes an obstruction where it tries to claim a house even when you havent found it yet. after travelling to the west end of the map and talking to him the NPC management started working as intended. the downside is that he still occupies a room despite being unable to be unlocked from his spawning place (need to complete the quest for it).

so yeah, gonna have to build another house. no big deal actually. im doing small housing this time (too time consuming to make a full house with all the props).

the hellevator is advancing but it has gotten obstructed in some parts by an enchanted stone material. probably requires platinum/gold lvls of pickaxe power to clear out, but i havent found ore nodes yet and cant fish because no merchant either.

so its either digging or building for now.

EDIT3:

there was a quest from the Adventurer that i could finish (just needed some boar leather, yes, there's a boar neutral mob that spawns in the purity), the rewards were quite weird some potions, 12 copper ingots, a bone pickaxe, a hook and an iron coin or something like that, you can buy stuff from him using those.

the bone pickaxe was able to mine those enchanted shards or whatever it was. but turns out that is a material for a mage armor, not much use for me right now. so i kept going with the hellevator. now that i have a grappling hook i can get to the air pockets quickly so i went further down. there was a marble cave and after that some more cabins but no mirrors yet.

turns out that in order to finish the pirate captain's quest you have to kill the first 3 vanilla bosses (King Slime to EoW/BoC). that's out of my league right now. so im going to see how deep i can get before settling to do the rest of the houses.

EDIT4:

reached the magma layer at last. but i ran out of rope so im gonna leave it like that for a while. found enough Thorium to make the anvil and the shield so i have a bit more buffer health and defense. sadly there's not enough ore to make good armors so i'll have to stick to what i have right now.

a good part of the tungsten went into making some storage units. right now i have the heart and 3 storages. im gonna try and put all the woods, blocks, metals and materials there and leave the rest in the remaining chests so not to overfill the basement with units until i can upgrade them.

next thing should be to do the Merchant store. then check if i can fix the metal shortage with fishing.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:40:39 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12959 on: December 18, 2017, 09:19:50 pm »

Unit wise I've been finding a good nine or so storage units to be pretty good at keeping up, even if you're basically hoarding the everything. Last couple new worlds have ended up with a 3x4 box of boxes either under the floor or on top the ceiling of wherever I put the bed, with the closest layer being the heart and crafting modules (one for a while, but eventually two, one for most workhorse stations and another for specialty stuff like the decorative block junk or demon altar stand ins or whatev'). It's maybe not the most aesthetically amazing thing in the world, but it also doesn't look that bad, and having my entire storage and crafting mess contained to the space of about a room and a half of minimum-size NPC housing and shoved under the floor is, uh. Real convenient, ehehe.

That said, yeah, the gem input isn't that bad. Want to say it's like six or nine diamonds for that setup, seven emeralds, and 14 sapphire? Plus whatever the eventual upgrades ask for. Oddly enough, I generally find it to be the tungsten/silver outlay that slows things up the most, since a three by three of storage is 90-ish bars.

One interesting quirk with upgrading, by the by, if it hasn't been changed in a recent patch: Upgrading removes the platform-ish effect of storage units, which can remove (or add, depending; the first time I noticed it, it was from upgrading something that was plugging a hole, causing me to fall through into the storage chamber) some design concerns.

... all that said, there's like... at least two mods that adds a NPC that sells gems, ehehe. Pretty sure one of them even has its gem critter also be an arena store, that sells stuff like buckets of honey and water candles and such rot. Hella' convenient, massively so if you're running revengence and functionally have all the monies forever.

Also, now that I remember it. Just throwing this out there but there's a vein miner mod out there, now? Freakishly useful. Hold a button, dig a tile of a bunch of connected ore, the lot of it gets dug out. Hilarious (and a bit laggy) when used on meteors, but so very, very much time saving while still needing some exploration. Great stuff.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 862 863 [864] 865 866 ... 887