Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 863 864 [865] 866 867 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1237276 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12960 on: December 18, 2017, 11:01:40 pm »

the store is done. its basically a 3 house blocks structure with the store, bedroom and basement. im gonna add some decorations once i've got crates and a safe. just for flavor.

Desert Acolyte, Merchant and Cook have joined the party.

bought the Scorpain to replace that Royal Roll. it has less base damage but it has longer reach, throwing time and can poison enemies. with some crafted potions and the protein shake i was able to kill Scarabeus (it was a hard battle still because of having to move around constantly).

so now i have to kill King Slime. but i spent all the platinum making a watch so no way to make the crown. if i increase health, then Blood Moons will occur and the town isnt ready for that kind of content.

i crafted a Butterfly Charm to start catching bugs because no fishing bait in the store until i kill the Desert Scourge (i think, not really sure). then im gonna fill a small depression that was left from filling some terrain for fishing. the good side is that RNG has been generous this run and i got the Sitting Duck Fishing Rod from the Travelling Merchant early in the game.

EDIT:

yeah the charm works and i got to harvest a lot of butterflies, up to 30 possible bait for fishing. made a test with the lake half full, got the 2 old shoes i needed to craft Leather Boots (old shoes + boar leather, accesory, gives some defense, can be used later on to craft another set of boots with a cool effect).

i got some good stuff out of the few crates that dropped. some gill potions, some spelunker potions, a few metals (still not enough for an armor set), a pairof sailfish boots with Armored to replace the flurry boots.

armor upped to 19 (23 with well fed buff). this should be more than enough to face king slime. the only possible issue is not having enough damage or missing on the buff potions but at least 2 of the most needed can be obtained easily just by planting daybloom seeds. and there's also the food from the Cook as backup for healing and buffs during the fights.

i dont have enough metal to make the crown anyways so its basically wait for a Slime Rain. by the time one lands i'll probably be using tungsten at most.

the lake has been completely filled to start farming crates, allthought the depth is still low enough to allow trash to generate (one can never be sure, maybe those Tin Cans or Seaweed will be used for something in the future of that mod).

i was also thinking on seeing if i could upgrade the wooden boomerang but turns out making it a Gold/Plat would be a bad idea, there's an even more powerfull upgrade later on (and its practically a contender to the Flamarang in terms of raw damage).

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 12:30:47 am by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12961 on: December 19, 2017, 01:00:59 pm »

fishing has been bountifull but couldnt get enough materials to make a new set of armor. on the bright side, i got just the amount needed to make the summoning item and got to kill King slime. he actually killed me but since its a non-despawn boss i could finish him off.

now i think this new mod added some extra uses to the Royal Gel. but i dont know how does it work, will have to test if killing slimes while using the item does something or if it has to be placed.

among the loot there was the slime hook and 2 pieces of the ninja set, there was also a shadow diamond for the magic storage system.

EDIT:

yeah turns out the Royal Gel is just for catching slimes while using another tool. but i have to finish the Adventurer quests first.

guess i'll leave it as decoration for a while, the next stop is to hunt the Desert Scourge.

EDIT2:

forgot how many times i've fought that stupid worm, i dont have enough damage, and cant make a higher platform because it will probably despawn. so i've been doing quests for the Adventurer.

there's an assortment of neat stuff you can get from them. the rewards are very RNG (they come in a loot bag), mostly stuff like bones, hearts/stars, gems, potions and watches (dont know why, but its usefull for saving mats in timers). the first item to be bought with his currency is for the nurse but since its revengeance well that's a bad idea.

the cool stuff from this mod however is that some of the quest items can be used. there's a silk scarf that also counts as vanity, and Coconuts with a base damage of 37 so you can go literally nuts with early game if playing thrower (sadly, they cant be used for food, maybe in future updates), they are obtained as easily as just planting and chopping down palm trees in a sand plot.

EDIT3:

fished until running out of bait, still no good stock of metals to make armor but i got enough gravitation potions to probe the sky. worldgen has been quite generous this time, found 3 floating islands in a row. one is a desert based one that is unique to this mod, the other were normal floating islands, one had the Lucky Horseshoe  and the other had the Skymill and Starfury so now i can up my damage against that worm. gonna test if this is enough.

the Demolitionist and the Painter settled on those sunplate cabins for the time being, i ran out of potion so cant explore further but this is more than enough.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:30:35 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12962 on: December 20, 2017, 08:50:41 am »

new Antiaris update is up.

i hate how this game makes stuff difficulty with certain items. i had to use grenades to kill the Desert Scourge because not even the Starfury helped to kill it, current melee weaponry is just too slow. if yoyos has piercing habilities i wouldnt mind or maybe i should have used a Trident but the damage isnt awesome anyways.

the EoC is the next boss in the list but first i want to get the Dryad. im trying to find the living wood tools in small worlds because the main one doesnt have giant trees.

already replaced Wulfrum with Victide which jumps defense to 25, should be more than enough to tank the next boss but since i dont have enough health, it would be wise to spend at least 5 hearts. the issue is having to deal with the blood moons after it.

i need the Confused Zombie tho...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12963 on: December 20, 2017, 10:15:19 am »

Scourge... that's the early game calamity worm boss, innit? Could swear there's a summon or two at that general point in the game that does pretty well against it, most of the ones that rely on touch damage does decent against that sort of boss. If you've got some diamonds and can scrounge up the throwing knives, there's also crystalline, which iirc despite not being piercing does pretty well. The damage is alright, and it's fast firing and multi-projectile (so long as you miss the first shot, heh), so it can stick a good amount of damage into something big, for that point in the game.

Want to say there's some ranged weapon or another that does pierce at that stage, too... maybe one of the sky island weapons the mod introduces? Don't quite remember, just recall there being something or another pre-EoW (and mostly by extension EoC, I guess) that minces worm bosses. Probably not melee, though... most pre-hardmode melee weapons are honestly kinda' trash, even for pre-hardmode weapons :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12964 on: December 20, 2017, 01:01:59 pm »

i wanted to keep it melee only. had the butterfly staff crafted just in case but  didnt want to rely on them. i was using the bow drop from the Thunderbird because well, expert mode loot.

still genning small corrupted worls to see if i can find a giant tree with the needed tools but worldgen is being an asshole.

also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiFzyf2Iua8

WHAT THE FUCK.....

EDIT:

finally got a world with the tools. i only needed the loom to make living wood furniture and other props but the others were needed. wanted to do a big tree above a mound with the Dryad living under it.

the funny thing is that since i havent killed the EoC, the Dryad wont spawn so i've already prepped myself to the needed arrival of the blood moons. the spawn is flat so it will be easy to find a spot where mobs can be killed without attacking the town.

the nurse has already joined too. i still have a little bit of space to put her house in between. with a rough idea of how it's gonna be. probably will use Snow brick this time.

EDIT2:

the mini hospital is done. 3 room house made out of snow brick and boreal wood. patients are stored in the basement with 2 beds and small tables while the nurse's personal room is in the second floor. the living is well. its an extra but could be the receiving room. that's 3 more NPC slots.

the night is falling so im going to check for bosses or blood moons.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 02:23:28 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12965 on: December 20, 2017, 04:09:52 pm »

also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiFzyf2Iua8

WHAT THE FUCK.....
... okay, how that critter took out the destroyer was kinda' hilarious. Reverse gravity, spam clouds. Good stuff. Railroad as grapple targets is legit, too. Forgot that could be a good idea, heh. Teleport thing with the golem was good for a chuckle, and that thing with the cultist was downright tricksy. Also amusing how the last two they just went more or less pure summons, heh. Most of it pretty straightforward, though. Kinda' surprised when the flamethrower types got busted out but everything else didn't come much out of left field, so to speak.

Kinda' wonder if the playback was sped up, though. If it wasn't, bloody hell but my rig slows things down for this game. Crap moves probably 2/3rds to 3/4ths as fast as that vid, sometimes slower. Which makes things hella' easier than it would be at full speed >_>
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12966 on: December 20, 2017, 05:03:50 pm »

yeah the video must have been speed up. some of the boss AI patterns go too quickly.

also it seems that for the Supreme Calamitas he was using Exo Armor (Summoner) which is a set that will come in a future update. so that part is a bit cheesy i think.

what i find most funny is that Yharon's fight doesnt look too difficulty from the video compared to the DoG. dodging the firenados seems more plausible than dodging those laser walls and the massive contact damage.

props that they guy even seems to skip the Blumbird phase because i think those spawned during the end of the fight, not sure.

also, wasnt expecting to see the Slime God before WoF. that slime gun thing is nuts for damage then, he was just spamming that stuff all over the bridge.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12967 on: December 20, 2017, 05:46:15 pm »

ok, it took me a bit more to setup against the EoC but i was able to kill it by spamming grenades on it (again, too much damage to survive on melee range). counterscarf equipped gives more or less the same damage boost as using the ruby ring so it was a better replacement. shame that it doesnt apply to yoyos but i can understand (it applies to the Forest Claymore tho, the Shield of Cthulhu gets a whooping 42 damage boost with that thing equipped too but i would loose some stat if i used it so im kind of 50/50 on that one).

i will have to fight it extra times in the other world because i need corrupt seeds but it should be far easier to do there. specially if i get Clatterbone armor (have to check the stats compared to Victide tho). also, there's the possibility of doing the goblin army but i have to gather the materials.

the good part is that the Dryad sells a yoyo so im going to be able to replace the Scorpain with something else. i also got the Rocket boots from one of the Adventurer's reward bags (those quests keep on giving big stuff, sadly no slime catching tool yet)

EDIT:

done, well, only got a single seed but that should be enough to spread for a while. the Dryad, Blacksmith, Cobbler and Dye Trader arrived. replaced the curent sandstone tools with steel, still not enough to mine obsidian but they should be able to do the harvesting job much faster than the others.

bought the Sunleaf yoyo to replace the Scorpain. im going to see if i can farm some lens to summon the Eoc for some more corrupt seeds then farm those goblin scouts. there's also the thing that Crabulon is the next boss but i havent found a mushroom biome yet.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 07:22:16 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12968 on: December 20, 2017, 06:48:39 pm »

Vis a vis the jungle lizard, it's a good bit nastier than that vid made it look, heh. Those firenadoes instakill you; they're not so much attacks as boundaries to the fight. Fellow that made the video also seemed pretty well spec'd for speed (and solid at getting around regardless), which makes it look easier to avoid yharon's attacks than it actually is. The critter's pretty fast, too... want to say generally faster than the devourer. Few other things involved, a (fairly lengthy) invincibility phase, ferex.

Any case, I've definitely found the DoW to be the easier of the two. Way easier to vomit damage onto the DoW until it dies (I've had goes hit six digit DPS vs the worm, heh, when the baseline at the time was more low 10ks or high thousands), and for all the contact damage with the worm is huge, it's also generally notably easier to avoid than yharon's junk. Lizardbird's decently placed difficulty wise, imo, basically.

... also, slime catching tool? Is that new to something? Don't remember seeing it in... whatever it is that adds the adventurer.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12969 on: December 20, 2017, 07:24:51 pm »

its a bug net that you can use to catch slimes but only if wearin the Royal Gel. that slime and another item made of emeralds can then be used to get a cool set of armor. problem is getting it from those loot bags.

also turns out there's 2 adventurer NPCs one is from Spirit mod and the other is from Antiaris.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 08:00:40 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12970 on: December 20, 2017, 08:40:19 pm »

welp turns out you cant use goblin statues to spawn scouts. even tried to use a detonator trap wires to set it up but nothing. guess its camping te edge of the map.

on the other side i was able to get a good amount of corrupt seeds to start putting the corruption in the main world. it will be blocked by Crimson in both sides to evade further infection. the other Adventurer NPC arrived to the base and iw as able to buy some good stuff like an armor pen item for melee that can be later used to make a cool damage accesory. also bought the Depth Meter. was gonna think on buying the Gator Pistol he sells but im not sure if this would allow the Arms Dealer to come into town, specially taking in account i dont have more empty rooms.

EDIT:

refurbished the Guide's house to have 3 more floors up (including the attic), Tracker and Arms Dealer joined after that. so the Gator/Gatling Pistol worked as a valid weapon to mark the NPC. anyways, since i deleted the other world, i have had to go all the way to the ends of this one to track goblin scouts, but so far only 1 has appeared and i dont have access to water candles. so yeah, gonna have to wait a bit more.

i also explored the underground and found a mushroom biome, gotta check if its big enough for fighting Crabulon but with the proper equipment i shouldnt have to worry about that boss. if not i'll probably have to do the good ol grenade spam fest.

EDIT2:

yeah you can fight the cancer crab there but i got stomped 2 times even when he was close to dying. not enough DPS. so im going to farm the remaining goblins then see if reforging the equipment helps me to get the extra power i need. just crafted a Life Leech sword to replace the Forest Claymore because it was getting outdated (also life steal), gonna check if Steel armor can get the job done compared to Victide.

the idea is to try and keep dodging him while dishing damage. the problem is that i need to get too close to hit him, so maybe getting a better Yoyo from the Goblin Army could help, the Sunleaf is good but not enough with that 17 damage (unless i reforge it).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 11:24:36 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12971 on: December 20, 2017, 11:48:26 pm »

If you're doin' yoyos gobbo invasion should probably be a pretty high priority, heh. Need that tinker's workshop iffin' you gon' put the yoyo accessories together. Yoyos have their shtick but it's kinda' sketchy damage wise until you get the whatever it is together and better than double your potential output, yeh.
Ask not!
Ask!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12972 on: December 21, 2017, 12:08:35 am »

Didn't yoyos claim the highest DPS for a long while?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12973 on: December 21, 2017, 12:26:17 am »

Blazes if I know, especially regarding vanilla at this point. Least with some of the mods xari's running there's not much chance of that without the yoyo bag whatsit, though. Be real surprised if yoyos were taking top place without that thing even in the base game, really... they're competitive with it, but not having it like, what, cuts your output to something under half? It's the game maker accessory for the things, heh.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 12:28:52 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12974 on: December 21, 2017, 01:18:02 am »

well one of these mods adds another yoyo accessory actually. just crafted the dungeon related component. there's 3 more and theres both version one for crimson and one for corruption. looks quite cool, still, yoyos are just a support weapon in case i cant fight in melee range.

the crab is kill btw. Steel Armor + Life Leech was enough to keep me tanking until the fucker started jumping all around.

it didnt drop any weapon from what i saw, only the expert mode accesory and some other stuff. but now im open to go around with the next progression. im 3 cloths out of being able to summon the goblin army but first im gonna add some more Storage. i've already ported all the chests ive been using into the magic storage system but there's still some stuff saved in the dresser, will need at least 2 more chests for that with enough extra space to save anything later on for a while.

the adventurer hasnt dropped the slime catching tool yet. but got some weird stuff like a vanity mask called "Ink Monster Mask" (its a Bendy reference) and a 34 base damage magic spear. i wonder how much stuff is there in that loot table because im getting almost everything, including hardmode potions.

anyways. gotta go rest for a while.

hey, there was an update for Spirit Mod BTW, something regarding changes and additions to the rune system of that mod.
Pages: 1 ... 863 864 [865] 866 867 ... 887