Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 867 868 [869] 870 871 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1229097 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #13020 on: April 18, 2018, 07:13:42 am »

Least if it's working that day, the mod loader has an in-game browser and handles most mod conflicts more or less by itself. Less sure on antiaris, but the rest are basically as easy as checking a box.

Beyond that, kinda' repeating myself, but the mod loader most of those require makes things stupidly easy these days even if you don't want to or can't make use of the browser. You literally just stick a .tmod file and maybe an assets folder in the mod loader's mod folder and that's it. The loader itself handles most potential mod conflicts, apparently.

I'm having what seems to be some old-computer hardware issues, personally, but beyond that installing like all (except antiaris, anyway, but it's nothing major, either) that plus another dozen or so other mods took (sub-half hour) minutes and the only headache was waiting for the game to load and world to generate. Both of which are much smaller headaches if your machine isn't a decade-ish old piece of vista laden trash that's starting to have what looks suspiciously like hardware failure.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:15:46 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13021 on: April 18, 2018, 04:25:31 pm »

Yeah, its actually really easy and painless as frumple says.
All you have to do is download the mod loader then install it. Once you do that it edits the game main menu so whenever you open terraria there are buttons to search for, download and finally activate whatever mods or combination of mods you want to use.

The major mods I am using are mostly the same as xaritscin, but with a few added utility and quality of life mods that make the game far less painful.
In order from most to least important:
Recipe browser, which lets you look through all the recipes in the game allowing you to search by ingredients, name and mod. It also shows you what enemies drop what items. It is super useful in figuring out what you need to build, and will mean that you don't need to check the 5 different wikis from every mod every 5 seconds.
Magic storage: A very useful item management system that will remove the need to have dozens of different chest all filled with random things as well as removing the need to spend 5 minutes searching through them all to find that one item you have in a chest somewhere but you just aren't quite sure which one.
Auto-trash, which lets you select items to auto trash instead of picking up so your inventory won't fill with random useless crap that there is literally 0 use for.
Bags of holding, which lets you craft bags that pick up items by type and store them in the bag instead of your inventory  aslong as you have the bag in an accessory slot. Losing access to an accessory slot to use one is a pain, but the fact that with say, a mining bag your inventory won't fill up with 15 different ores, gems and stones its worth the tradeoff.
Helpful hotkeys which adds hotkeys for stuff like auto-placing a torch at the closest location to your cursor that it can, or a hotkey to toggle autopause on or off.
Fargo's mutant mod which adds an NPC that sells all the boss summons once you have already beaten the boss which is very useful for grinding the bosses (note his versions let you summon the bosses anywhere and as many at a time as you want to). The mod also adds lategame extremely powerful accessories that combine literally hundreds of accessories into single slots.
Omniswing, which makes all weapons have auto-swing/shoot as long as you are attacking so you don't have to click 100 times in a row.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13022 on: April 18, 2018, 07:53:10 pm »

If you think you'd still enjoy playing it, definitely suggest it. Magic storage alone tells vanilla to go fuck itself. Everything else is basically cake.
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13023 on: April 18, 2018, 09:52:40 pm »

Handful of UI/quality of life things of note, passel of fairly pure content mods, few mechanics (RPG, overhaul fiddling with a bunch of stuff, etc.) mods, some cheat options if you're tired of digging. Decent spread, and the mod browser lets you sort by popularity to see what folks are using most.

It's a fairly developed/long-lived modding scene, albeit one intermittently disrupted by new versions, with most of what you'd expect from that.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13024 on: April 18, 2018, 09:53:54 pm »

What's even out there? I've never looked into the modding scene for Terraria; hell, I hardly knew that one existed outside of a couple of things in this thread.

a little bit of everything honestly:

1. mods like Thorium or Spirit try to add more content to the game in order to for example, bring more life to certain biomes or add extra events and bosses to help with the progression of some classes that are more or less weak compared to the main melee/ranged/magic trinity. Summoner and Thrower get some neat new weapons, armor and accesories while some new classes are birthed like Bard or Healer which are also designed around multiplayer.

2. mods like Calamity try to add a similar thing but they  focus more on try to give a narrative inside the modded world with lore items that explain the existance of certain mobs and bosses while adding a new layer of difficulty to the player. thus things like Revengeance and Death mode where not only the mod bosses but also the vanilla ones get significantly beefier and get new gimmicks to test your skill.

3. mods like Calciphos (Kalcifoz? havent used that mod yet) and Overhaul add a new layer of mechanics to the base game in order to add new layers of complexity, things like season and wheather along with new mechanics for weaponry or things like stats and item improving/repair for a game where items are the main markers regarding player powerlevel make for a completely different experience, i would dare to say, close to what Relogic wanted to achieve with Otherworld.

4. mods like Magic Storage or Boss Checklist try to add new tools for the player to deal with some stuff like information about game progression or what is basically an universal storage and crafting system that is also tied to the player progression in terms of materials.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 09:55:40 pm by xaritscin »

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13025 on: April 22, 2018, 07:12:50 pm »

I haven't played in a long while, so I started a brand new character in Expert mode for extra challenge. It's hard...  ::)

Just finished digging the hellevator to -2000. Keep procrastinating and delaying the boss fights.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13026 on: April 22, 2018, 07:26:33 pm »

Not sure which mod it is off the top of my head, but there's at least one that has an item that'll auto-build a hellevator for you, by the by. It's nice. Makes a much prettier one than I'd bother making by hand, and on medium or large maps at least usually takes less time to make, too.
Ask not!
Ask!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13027 on: April 24, 2018, 07:31:15 am »

Honestly, with the smart cursor and larger stacks of cheaper bombs, hellevators are a lot easier in vanilla now than they were before. Not to mention the glory that is rope!

I've been holding off on taking out the Wall in my reboot world as well, trying to build up everything as much as I can, and I also have ideas about trying to partition the world into manageable blocks with contamination barriers in place, in order to minimize the ridiculousness of biome spread. This is made more difficult by the fact that one of the crimson biomes spawned smack dab in the middle of the jungle, which has prompted a mass excavation project, which in turn needs to be followed by a forestry initiative to replant the scoured area and maintain jungle integrity.

Bluh.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13028 on: April 24, 2018, 11:33:18 pm »

Not sure which mod it is off the top of my head, but there's at least one that has an item that'll auto-build a hellevator for you, by the by. It's nice. Makes a much prettier one than I'd bother making by hand, and on medium or large maps at least usually takes less time to make, too.
Its the instavator from fargo's mutant. For the cheap price of about 10 gold worth of store stuff (dynamite, rope, torches) and some fossils you can mine from the underground desert it will dig you a 7 wide hellevator lined with stone walls (so nothing from outside can get in to attack you either by physically blocking your path or by shooting at you), a stone background (so nothing like webs or enemies can spawn directly in it), a rope going down to the base (so you can get back to the top no matter your equipment) and torches lining it on both sides every 10 blocks or so (so its prettier and you can see its immediate surroundings).
Its especially useful with mods installed as well because there is a significant chance that there will be at least one bullshit hardmode/molten pickaxe ore that spawns in the path of your hellavator requiring you to make multiple detours on the way down.

In short its basically a masterpiece that is about ten times better then mine would ever actually be and takes less then 5% of the time I would need to make a crappy one, much less one as good and solid as it.
Just as importantly, you can just make like 5 of them pre-hardmode and use them all as soon as hardmode starts to contain the spread of the corruption/hallow without having to spend a huge amount of time, which both A) Saves you from spending a bunch more hours digging like 5 more hellavators and B) stops them from spreading in the time that you would spend digging them/procrastinating about digging them.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13029 on: May 01, 2018, 06:24:48 am »

I figured I got the hang of the expert mode, and restarted for a proper experience.

Made all the potion buffs, got the Enchanted Sword and a Ruby Staff, and beat the Eye of Cthulhu easily enough.

Went for Skeletron. Nope. Spawned the goblin invasion to get the tinkerer, and reforged all the gear to legendary/warding. Nope. Rebuilt the arena. Nope. Potions ran out so I made another set of buff potion stacks. Nope. Got him to like 2000 hp. Nope. Got him to 150hp. Nope. Forgot to buff a second time during the fight. Nope. After like 10-15 tries, Skeletron was defeated.

I just can't use the grappling hook properly, so I can't beat him like all the youtubers do. I have my E key bound to inventory, and there's no other convenient key to use for the hook.

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13030 on: May 01, 2018, 06:38:07 am »

Why in the name of all that is holy did you bind inventory to E? The grapple key is essential for anything beyond making an RP village of dirt houses.

Also, I wouldn't be too focused on reforging everything to Warding in expert mode. Sure, 3/4 of armor value is converted to damage reduction, but enemies deal at least 2x as much damage. Mobility and excessive damage are much more useful.

Also, the worm scarf is pretty great. If you're playing on a crimson world, it's worth generating a corrupt world just to go there and raid a scarf for your character. Percentage-based damage reduction is very handy, simply because of the very large raw damage numbers getting thrown at you.

Also, I had a lot of trouble with Skeletron as well, until I discovered the incredible utility of the slime mount. The incredible vertical mobility, both upwards and downwards, allows you to traverse a platform arena quickly enough to dodge his attacks. Also, you can bounce on his head for extra damage, although I wouldn't necessarily recommend that...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13031 on: May 01, 2018, 07:33:56 am »

Yeaaah, the head stomp damage collision is sketchy as all hell. Real nice when it works, but it fails often enough trying to use it is basically suicide.

Though yes, it's real nice vertical mobility, early on in particular. It plus the eye shield dash makes a lot of expert notably more viable. Incidentally, said dash is much more reliable than a grapple much of the time, heh.

... that said, full defense can help plenty in expert, it's just that you definitely need the mobility as much or more. Damage you can skimp on if you can maintain dodging and have a bit extra room to screw up, usually. Percentile damage reduction is indeed notably more valuable in expert, tho'.
Ask not!
Ask!

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13032 on: May 01, 2018, 09:30:17 am »

I bound inventory to E because I open it so often. It's my standard inventory button since Minecraft. It's nearly impossible to let go of that habit, it's just not comfortable.

My world has corruption, but I don't have the worm scarf yet. I thought Skeletron would be easier than going into the corruption tunnels.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13033 on: May 01, 2018, 06:51:37 pm »

The corruption tunnels are pretty much nothing compared to Skeletron/the Dungeon, and the Eater of Worlds is probably the easiest Expert Mode boss because it really doesn't gain much in the way of new tricks.

Honestly I'm not quite sure what your plan is, here.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13034 on: May 01, 2018, 06:56:31 pm »

Slime mount can also spontaneously destroy the Eater of Worlds if it pushes you against the ceiling. It's pretty funny.

But yeah, EoW is always the weakest boss, and expert mode really doesn't change that. I'd suggest going over to pick on him a bit.

Also, beef up your fishing. Fishing is stupidly unbalanced and can give you lots of nice things, like a hellstone-equivalent pickaxe from just fishing in the ocean.
Pages: 1 ... 867 868 [869] 870 871 ... 887