Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 876 877 [878] 879 880 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1238063 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #13155 on: May 23, 2020, 07:21:51 am »

Looked up a world seed+coordinates of a sword shrine to get an Enchanted Sword. The randomly-generated name the game gave that world was "Insecure Bank of Kindness". How... appropriate.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13156 on: May 23, 2020, 09:14:12 am »

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:20:15 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13157 on: May 23, 2020, 09:28:54 am »

Looks like the only beneficial thing for forest is .
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13158 on: May 23, 2020, 10:19:29 am »

Is it a secret? Should I be spoilering? What is SHITTY SPOILER MECHANIC good for anyway?
Love, scriver~

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #13159 on: May 23, 2020, 11:22:17 am »

Is it a secret? Should I be spoilering? What is SHITTY SPOILER MECHANIC good for anyway?

It's probably still a secret.  The full list can be found here, on the Terraria wiki.

Quick takeaway of the main effects:
Spoiler: Shitty Mechanic (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:23:56 am by 0x517A5D »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13160 on: May 23, 2020, 04:10:57 pm »

Speaking of
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I only ever encountered three of them or so.
How rare are they, exactly?
Then again I only have one of those
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
in my main world.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 04:12:46 pm by Ultimuh »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13161 on: May 23, 2020, 04:35:29 pm »

They seemed pretty common around the living trees, playing on the seed mentioned upthread that has, like. A dozen of them or something, spanning several screens worth of tree estate. Dunno about other joints, or maps with less prolific trees.
Ask not!
Ask!

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #13162 on: May 24, 2020, 04:30:26 pm »

Gnomes are the only mobs that can spawn inside living trees.  I suspect the spawning condition is based on living wood walls.  Living wood walls can be created at a living loom, which are commonly found in living trees. 

If player-placed living wood walls are the same as world-gen living wood walls, you can build an arena which will spawn gnomes.  I'm going to try this.

Edit: no success.  I tried two farm designs.  The first was a 200x3 room floored with living wood, living wood back walls, and a platform ceiling.  The idea was that a gnome would spawn, try to jump up out of the room, and turn into a statue.

I stood on a platform ~25 tiles above the room, so that the room's ceiling was just off the bottom of the screen.  I placed a gnome statue and a water candle, drank battle potions and luck potions, and held another water candle.  No gnome spawns in a day and a half (daylight hours only).

I modified the room into a 200x4 that had living wood as floor and ceiling.  Gave it two more days, daylight hours only.  Again, no spawns at all.

I'm open to design suggestions.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 05:58:06 pm by 0x517A5D »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13163 on: May 24, 2020, 06:21:19 pm »

It requires natural backwall, apparently. Any may work, but living wood works much better.

Recommendation I saw after a quick look was to just dig out/blow up like half a living wood tree down to the chest room/root/whenever topside depth stops on your world, then open a bunch of the neighboring non-tree backwall to air, and chill while gnomes lemming themselves to their doom. Apparently it can help to drop down enough meteor ore to trigger heads showing up, on top of water candle and battle potion?
Ask not!
Ask!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13164 on: May 28, 2020, 09:42:04 pm »

So I updated, and I havent played since . . . 1.2?  idk, some time ago.  Before sandstorms and the butthurt they induce.

Me being me, I did Eye of Cthulu and King slime before loading up expert mode and promptly getting shut down by sandstorms.  Why in the world is a tumbleweed that runs faster than I can fly 2shotting my naked character.  Why are beetles that 2 shot me running around.  Why are vultures doing 30 damage a hit.  and what is that unholy abomination that flies at me.

My other terror is spelunking.  Bats that do 40+ damage and can knock you to your death, or into a pit, or through thin ice are a nightmare.  A good kind, but.

I have a very love/hate relationship with expert mode in general.  Some things I love, like more enemies more attack patterns and more debuffs.  And more armor value.  What I dislike are the massive damage bonuses enemies get.  The extra hp doesnt help.  If I could turn off one or the other of the enemies hp/damage buffs Id probably still find it challenging without feeling like I need to resort to munchkining my way through the game.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13165 on: May 28, 2020, 10:13:34 pm »

Should I play Terraria vanilla or Terraria Overhaul?

I heard Terraria Overhaul's worlds are a bit more ... alive? As in they have seasons. And fire. I might be wrong tho.

ANy input?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13166 on: May 28, 2020, 10:59:54 pm »

Like, I'm not super fond of overhaul, personally? I like to mod the hell out of the game, but didn't particularly enjoy overhaul, specifically, when I gave it a shot. It does indeed have seasons and fire and a host of other stuff.

Still, particularly if you've already spent some time in vanilla just... give overhaul a try. Bonus for overhaul I think you can run magic storage (and auto-trash, and vein miner, and boss checklist/census/recipe browser, ha) with it, too, for that exponentially-better-than-the-base-game experience. Or other mods, for that matter. Vanilla's, well, vanilla, heh. it doesn't have magic storage or auto-trash or vein miner
Ask not!
Ask!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13167 on: May 28, 2020, 11:39:07 pm »

What I'm looking for is mods that make the world more "alive". In that sense I liked the description of overhaul's fire and season system. Is there anything better in this regard?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13168 on: May 29, 2020, 12:15:07 am »

Dunno, heh. Pretty sure there's some cosmetic mods that spruce up some of the weather effects and stuff like that, but I haven't used them. There's certainly plenty that adds more stuff, more critters, enemies, invasions, biomes, etc. At least one that adds a new moon event, probably other things I'm forgetting.

Not aware off the top of my head that goes as far as overhaul in regards to what overhaul specifically does, though, ala seasons or burning down your house. There might be, but I can't recall playing any off the top of my head.

All seriousness, especially with modloader being on steam now just popping overhaul on and seeing if you like it should be pretty painless, especially if you're not trying to throw a bunch of mods together and have no reason to struggle with out of memory issues.
Ask not!
Ask!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13169 on: May 29, 2020, 01:22:11 am »

*shrug*  just tried it and it removes enough QoL features from vanilla to make me disregard it. Even if I find the enhanced weather and fire mechanics interesting.

I'd play vanilla with enhanced weather snd fire.
Pages: 1 ... 876 877 [878] 879 880 ... 887