Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261313 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - It's out! And there's a 4 pack
« Reply #2115 on: May 25, 2011, 09:17:39 pm »

I don't put much stock in that, given that it's a wiki, but...

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/goblin-invasion.6047/#post-111143

Nice find!

To summarize, for people who don't like reading code:

* There's a 1/15 chance each day to get a goblin invasion. There is no possible way to increase this chance, and (short of preventing invasions entirely) there is no way to decrease this chance, either.
* At least one person on the server must have 200 or more health for an invasion to happen. Each person with more than 200 health also increases the size of the invasion.
* Invasions will only occur after you have smashed at least one Shadow Orb.
* Invasions will not occur if you've had one recently. 'Recently' means you had an invasion in the past 7 days.

So, there you go. Pass a few checks, and there's a 6.7% chance per day of receiving your own green-skinned army, delivered straight to your doorstep.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 09:19:19 pm by Thexor »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: May 25, 2011, 09:22:41 pm »

Nice find!

*snip*
So, there you go. Pass a few checks, and there's a 6.7% chance per day of receiving your own green-skinned army, delivered straight to your doorstep.

EDIT: Wiki says -
1/15th chance at dawn

You must have at least one person in the game with 200+ current life

You must have smashed at least one Shadow Orb. If you have recently smashed a 3rd orb and killed the Eater of Worlds, you must smash one more orb as the orb counter in the game will reset to 0, and you will be unable to get an invasion.

You must not have had an invasion within 7 in-game days.
Huh.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: May 25, 2011, 09:30:16 pm »

Nice find!

*snip*

EDIT: Wiki says -
1/15th chance at dawn

You must have at least one person in the game with 200+ current life

You must have smashed at least one Shadow Orb. If you have recently smashed a 3rd orb and killed the Eater of Worlds, you must smash one more orb as the orb counter in the game will reset to 0, and you will be unable to get an invasion.

You must not have had an invasion within 7 in-game days.
Huh.

Hey, I'm just sayin' - it's not just "well any old person can write something on the wiki", it's somebody who claims to have decompiled the code and checked the condition.  ;)

Oh, and one more thing: The condition that you have to have smashed a shadow orb? Yeah, apparently it's possible for shadow orbs to be smashed during world gen (or, at least, the moment you load the world after world gen), presumably by them being placed in impossible locations or something. These count, so it's entirely probably that you'll get an invasion without personally smashing an orb, even though it's technically one of the conditions.
(I'm also a little fuzzy over the "Smashed (X%3 == 0) orbs, no invasion" thing. Sure, the integer count of smashed orbs resets after every EoW attack, but the guy who provided the code commented that there's a boolean and a counter, and it's the boolean that the code's checking...)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: May 25, 2011, 10:06:43 pm »

On a related note, it looks like water candles don't affect the chance of eyethulu spawning, of blood moon happening, or of goblin invasions occuring. They don't appear to do anything when sitting in your inventory, either. The only time they have any effect at all, as far as I can tell, would be when they're someone's selected item, and even then it looks like (from looking at the code) they only affect spawning monsters around that particular player - I think.

They decrease the spawn rate to 0.75x normal and increase the maximum number of monsters to 1.5x normal, and bypass the low cap on both spawn rate and the high cap on maximum number of monsters.

Interestingly, night time applies a 0.6x multiplier to spawn rate and 1.3x multiplier to max spawns. Blood moons apply a further 0.3x multiplier to spawn rate, and 1.8x to max spawns. Everywhere, but it caps out:

Spawn rate cannot be below 0.1x default unless you're using a water candle (its multiplier is applied after the limit is enforced).
Max spawns cannot be above 2.5x normal unless you're using a water candle (its multiplier is applied after the limit is enforced).

Dungeons have 0.1x spawn rate and 2.1x max spawn; invading them at night would only push the max spawn up to 2.5, which isn't much of a change. Invading them at night with a water candle as your equipped item, however, would increase max spawns to 3.75x. But again, putting water candles in your inventory or putting them on tables doesn't appear to do anything, as far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 10:08:29 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: May 25, 2011, 10:18:03 pm »

Heh.

I mined out a meteor after a couple of attempts. Then I went east some more and  a giant skull ate me. Maybe I should have listened to the old man.

I'm making an obsidian tower with a simple stone-brick-wall bacjround. I'm not sure how tall to make it and what to do with all the space.

Is the minishark any good?
Everybody!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: May 25, 2011, 10:25:55 pm »

Armor makes low damage but high firerate weapons kinda problematic. Especially in this game where armor can get pretty high on most enemies.

It can be upgraded with meteorite and stars to make a really powerful weapon though.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: May 25, 2011, 10:26:48 pm »

Heh.

I mined out a meteor after a couple of attempts. Then I went east some more and  a giant skull ate me. Maybe I should have listened to killed the old man.
[Talk to him during the day, and he mutters about his "curse" and "not entering the dungeon". Talk to him at night, though...]

I'm making an obsidian tower with a simple stone-brick-wall bacjround. I'm not sure how tall to make it [there is no such thing as too tall!] and what to do with all the space. [When in doubt, build a second tower inside the first! Yay redundancy!]

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: May 25, 2011, 10:27:04 pm »

If you have a handgun and a decent trigger finger, handgun is better. If you don't Minishark is decent.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: May 25, 2011, 10:33:05 pm »

Handgun eh?

Hmm. That reminds me, is there anything on the far-raght of the map usually?
Everybody!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: May 25, 2011, 10:41:17 pm »

Depends on if the dungeon's over there or not, if you count that as far-enough right. Otherwise, it's the same as what's on the far left. Water and a decline.

Anyway. Pretty much anything not-musket is better than the minishark, really. Well, maybe not the flintlock, but definitely the laser. Even with the high RoF, the damage is just crappy on the 'shark. Handgun + autoclick is far and away better, and 'nix blaster just embarrasses the 50 gold ripoff.

But it can be upgraded to the starcannon, which, if you can provide ammo, just murders everything, or so I hear.

I'd still prefer a flamarang to pretty much any of them, though. No extra inventory slots used up :-\ It murders everything just fine, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: May 25, 2011, 11:26:30 pm »

Flamarang is a tool of mass destruction, sure, but only at close range. At medium range, the slower re-fire time makes it inferior to guns - not to mention, you're screwed if you fire it at a distant target and miss. In general, I like to think of the Flamarang as a more versatile melee weapon (outdamages most melee weapons with an autoclicker at close range, and does > 0 damage at medium range), rather than a reusable ranged weapon.  ;)

Also, re: inventory slots: guns take up two slots, one for ammo and one for the gun - surely you can spare one extra slot for an epic ranged weapon! Bows take up two slots if you're stacked on Unholy/Jester arrows, but three slots if you're firing flaming arrows (third slot for the extinguished wooden pickups. And no, last I heard the Molten Fury was bugged and wooden arrows still only dealt wooden arrow damage when fired from it, so that doesn't solve your problem.  :P ).

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: May 26, 2011, 12:01:52 am »

Star Cannon is cool, I made 154 damage to a friend wearing Meteorite Armor, but never tested it on actual pvp.
Since it shoots stars you can run out of ammo randomly, which is not nice.

Phoenix Blaster (that gun made of Hellstone?) is very cool by the way. I use it for random PVP with friends and SunFury against PVP, so I guess I'm all set...for now. muahaha

And meteorite bullets ricocheting is very funny too
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: May 26, 2011, 12:11:48 am »

And no, last I heard the Molten Fury was bugged and wooden arrows still only dealt wooden arrow damage when fired from it, so that doesn't solve your problem.  :P ).
It just shoots flaming arrows instead of wooden arrows when consuming wooden arrows.
If that's bugged, I'm seriously confused about the state of their code, because it worked fine before.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: May 26, 2011, 12:27:30 am »

And no, last I heard the Molten Fury was bugged and wooden arrows still only dealt wooden arrow damage when fired from it, so that doesn't solve your problem.  :P ).
It just shoots flaming arrows instead of wooden arrows when consuming wooden arrows.
If that's bugged, I'm seriously confused about the state of their code, because it worked fine before.

Sorry, but I just tested it. (Literally - the game is paused and the slime gel is still sitting on the ground.)

Wooden arrow + Molten Fury against a blue slime: 33 damage. Looked like a flaming arrow.
Flaming arrow + Molten Fury, also against a blue slime: 35 damage. Also, obviously, looked like a flaming arrow.

So, yeah. They may look like flaming arrows, and they have a chance of dropping a flaming arrow after hitting an object, but they deal the damage of a wooden arrow.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: May 26, 2011, 12:37:58 am »

Where do I use worm bait?

I ''used'' it in a highly corrupted area (the sky was dark yellow) and it didn't do anything.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 887