Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1254339 times)

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm saving resources for something big, like PVP or npc groups or whatever.
Everybody!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm looking forward to NPC towns and weather. Especially if said weather can make water appear in holes in the ground.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile

Personally I want specialized PVP. The current PVP isn't much fun when the other person pulls a star cannon and blows your head off, leading you to go get your own star cannon and then it just devolves into a star cannon party.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Personally I want specialized PVP. The current PVP isn't much fun when the other person pulls a star cannon and blows your head off, leading you to go get your own star cannon and then it just devolves into a star cannon party.
Still better then a dynamite PVP. I've come across one, and ... it wasn't really fun. We did get to the Hell pretty quickly though.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile

Say, anyone figure out this port forwarding stuff? I'm accessing a hotel router, so I don't know if I can do this port-forwarding thing.

I've tried Hamachi, but the connection is ungodly slow, considering that the people I'm hosting the server for are only a room or two over.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Say, anyone figure out this port forwarding stuff? I'm accessing a hotel router, so I don't know if I can do this port-forwarding thing.

I've tried Hamachi, but the connection is ungodly slow, considering that the people I'm hosting the server for are only a room or two over.
Nope, you can't port forward then. You need full access to the router to set it properly.

Also, Hamachi's own drain on the bandwidth is next to nil.
(Terraria's server is in itself kinda laggish, independant of latency. Maybe your connection speed is fine?)

However, if they are just a room or so over, wouldn't they be in the same network?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile

However, if they are just a room or so over, wouldn't they be in the same network?
I wouldn't say it's a definite, as I've seen some bizarre network setups in my time (my workplace being one of them...  even knowing networks as I do, I cannot figure how what they've done works) but that should be the case, yes.

I would imagine a moderately large hotel would have several nodes, but enough (alternatively: badly designed such) that people in nearby rooms don't share one?  Not sure.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Besides, like I said, Terraria's Server software is complete and utter shit.

I've had LAN servers where monsters teleported around and stuff.
So maybe you're misinterpreting your connection problems through Hamachi?

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile

I wouldn't say it's a definite, as I've seen some bizarre network setups in my time (my workplace being one of them...  even knowing networks as I do, I cannot figure how what they've done works) but that should be the case, yes.

I would imagine a moderately large hotel would have several nodes, but enough (alternatively: badly designed such) that people in nearby rooms don't share one?  Not sure.

Assuming, hotel network = wireless: you're probably prevented from directly communicating by the access point. Since the AP functions as a 'traffic cop', it's fairly trivial to block communication between 2 wireless clients. You rarely see the feature on home devices though (I've only seen it was in a hands-on lab in a networking class).

Easiest solution would probably to use an ad-hoc network, but you wouldn't be online then...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

I have found a way to create water efficiently and infinitely! It involves a large structure composing of a large basin for additional water on top, 2 hollow chambers for holding water and a maze like "pipe section" in between the first and second chambers.

I don't have a pic with me right now, but in the middle of the basin should be a single tile wide drain leading to the middle or the first chamber.

The maze should only have openings a single tile wide, zigzagging around until it reaches the second chamber. It is preferred that your maze has multiple routes to the second and final chamber.

In the second and final chamber should be a hole, one will suffice, but you can increase that amount to three.

The device's basin itself must reach beyond the top of the screen, AKA unseen when viewed at the bottom.

I flooded a dungeon with that device with water while using the frameskip trick/exploit, to speed up the process.

If in any case my explanation wasn't clear, I'll edit my post to include a schematic of the device.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile

Since the AP functions as a 'traffic cop'
I see what you did there.

But, yeah, I hadn't thought of that.  They probably do prevent you from accessing other computers on the network directly, for security reasons.
Besides, like I said, Terraria's Server software is complete and utter shit.

I've had LAN servers where monsters teleported around and stuff.
So maybe you're misinterpreting your connection problems through Hamachi?
I had localhost (127.0.0.1) servers where monsters teleported around and stuff.
They fixed that shortly after release.
Are you misinterpreting old bugs for connection problems?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've only just found how awesome the lucky shoe is.

I get to swandive into corruption pits much safer than before.

Oh, and for some reason the EoW spawned and insta-died. I wonder why.
Everybody!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've only just found how awesome the lucky shoe is.

I get to swandive into corruption pits much safer than before.

Oh, and for some reason the EoW spawned and insta-died. I wonder why.

The Lucky Horseshoe is one of the items I always carry on me in emergencies.

I am glad I started playing before now... they are turning some items that were mildly annoying to collect and turned them into a marathon so tedius that you can quite litterally not have enough resources in an entire world to get.

Which isn't a bad thing, it is just that I really dislike long term digging.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:52:58 pm by Neonivek »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile

What, you mean like Jungle? It's not that bad if you just hang around in the underground jungle with some spelunker pots.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What, you mean like Jungle? It's not that bad if you just hang around in the underground jungle with some spelunker pots.

Naw underground jungle isn't so bad once you find it (though finding it is an uttar pain). I just build it appropriately (Though finding Jungle seed is tougher now...)
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 887