Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1254236 times)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #7920 on: December 31, 2011, 07:22:13 am »

And never, ever put wooden platforms within your hellevator, especially if you don't have a Lucky Horseshoe, because that will render your hellevator useless.
Or you make it wider than 2 blocks and just place platforms on one side?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7921 on: December 31, 2011, 07:30:11 am »

And never, ever put wooden platforms within your hellevator, especially if you don't have a Lucky Horseshoe, because that will render your hellevator useless.
Or you make it wider than 2 blocks and just place platforms on one side?
You could do that, but IMO, it's tedious, and with a grappling hook and a small pool of water where the hellevator ends, it is rendered obsolete.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7922 on: December 31, 2011, 07:52:04 am »

For this without grappling hooks, I find a side passage with a web brake to be most kind, with a water brake at the very bottom in case they miss all the side passages.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7923 on: December 31, 2011, 09:04:09 am »

You could do that, but IMO, it's tedious, and with a grappling hook and a small pool of water where the hellevator ends, it is rendered obsolete.
Well derp, my hellevator is 4 blocks wide with obsidian blocks wall and back wall :P

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7924 on: December 31, 2011, 10:20:37 am »

You don't need platforms to allow you to stop. Just have a hole on either side wherever you want, and if you move in that direction, you'll step out of the hellevator anyway (taking the fall damage up to that point of course). The idea is that if you do nothing, you fall straight to the bottom.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7925 on: December 31, 2011, 12:22:27 pm »

The only issue is when the helevator crosses a horizontal highway.

But then, for horizontal movement I almost always using a grappling-hook based skyway anyways (momentum, bitches! SO FAST)

Mind you, its been a bit, there's probably faster ways to move around now.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7926 on: January 02, 2012, 03:14:35 pm »

Then I discovered the "highway to hell" my friend had been digging - a path, as straight as he could manage, heading straight down to hell.
That would be a 'hellevator', a most useful addition to any map.
making stops on the different layers for easy access.
Yeah, I found out that it actually has a name. We like highway to hell better, though.

Also, did anyone else find the WoF disappointingly easy? Me and my friend beat it with each of us using like one health potion. I just walked backwards spamming my dark lance and he walked further back spamming demon scythe. Skeletron was significantly harder.

Of course, hardmode is anything but easy. We dumbly started it without hellstone pickaxes so are unable to mine cobalt temporarily, and I'm getting increasingly anxious about the corruption to the west of our base that I had perfectly contained pre-hardmode, especially since my artificial jungle biome is on the west side of our base and I'm sure as hell not losing that. Are there any tips on containing the corruption and hallow?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7927 on: January 02, 2012, 03:18:02 pm »

Four tile brick walls in the ground stop the spread of anything.

Neither hallow or corruption change dirt without touching it.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7928 on: January 02, 2012, 03:19:37 pm »

Hallow can be stopped by mud, corruption can't. Neither can spread through clay. I believe the proper breech wall/gap is 4 blocks across for isolation. Keep in mind, the vines and thornbushes that grow in both can spread the biomes if they're touching a spreadable block. Also, corrupter spit can make patches of new corruption.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7929 on: January 02, 2012, 03:21:42 pm »

Gr, I was hoping there was something easier than making walls completely surrounding the biomes. Oh well, welcome to hardmode.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7930 on: January 02, 2012, 03:27:09 pm »

Alternatively, you can preemptively plant Hallow to contain corruption, as the Hallow mobs are much less annoying. My main world is entirely corrupt/hallow, and I don't have any problems with it. A proper dart trap & active stone setup will make your base entirely impenetrable, as well. One thing to keep in mind is that Wraiths are the only HM surface mob that can pass through walls, and they almost never spawn if you have Hallow surrounding your base. Additional plus to that is that Hallow won't spread through mud, so your jungle will be safe.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7931 on: January 02, 2012, 03:36:30 pm »

Wraiths only spawn on non-hallow blocks,

clay, ores, dirt.

If you cover everything in pearlstone and hallow dirt, including clay and whatnot, you can stop wraiths from ever spawning.

You have to dig for caves though.

and be thorough, spawn range is large.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7932 on: January 02, 2012, 03:40:11 pm »

Alternatively, you can preemptively plant Hallow to contain corruption, as the Hallow mobs are much less annoying. My main world is entirely corrupt/hallow, and I don't have any problems with it. A proper dart trap & active stone setup will make your base entirely impenetrable, as well. One thing to keep in mind is that Wraiths are the only HM surface mob that can pass through walls, and they almost never spawn if you have Hallow surrounding your base. Additional plus to that is that Hallow won't spread through mud, so your jungle will be safe.

Hm, this sounds pretty good actually. And I just discovered that snow is immune to both, making our base completely protected since it's in a snow biome (minus my jungle).

Also, why is everyone recommending four-thick walls when the hallow/corruption can only spread three blocks away? Did I misread that?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7933 on: January 02, 2012, 03:46:48 pm »

Probably as a precaution for those thorn bushes in corruption. Not sure though.

Also I built my crystal farm in this pattern (P is pearlstone):
Code: [Select]
P.P.P.P.P.P.P
.P.P.P.P.P.P.
P.P.P.P.P.P.P
............. Walkable space
P.P.P.P.P.P.P
.P.P.P.P.P.P.
P.P.P.P.P.P.P
Do you think it'll work? Crystal shards can grow next to each other, right? (C is shards)
Code: (like this) [Select]
P.
CC
.P
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7934 on: January 02, 2012, 04:54:50 pm »

Any one up for a homesteading of A world with just raw characters?
Ill host one right now if any one would like to
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 887