Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261289 times)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.2 now out!
« Reply #10710 on: October 14, 2013, 08:02:20 pm »

Argh!

I've just given up on farming for a bezoar. Started off in hardmode killing hornets. Earnings thus far, along with drop rate according to wiki (cf. bezoar; 1%).

I spent a while trying to get bezoar and nazar, killed lots and lots of hornets and skulls and no luck. Then I started a new world. First 3 skulls got a nazar, first hornet got a bezoar....., and this world is the only one which has spawned a pyramid for me as well as having sandstorm in bottle, and the flying island had red balloon. This is now my new world of choice.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #10711 on: October 14, 2013, 08:04:20 pm »

I messed around with crabs a bit earlier, I don't think they trigger pressure plates anymore.
What color pressure plate were you using?
I was attempting to make a Goldfish farm, and using transistors trapped a Crab in a 2x2 space with pressure plates. It could bounce, but I didn't hear the clicking noises. The plates were gray.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10712 on: October 14, 2013, 08:17:03 pm »

That would be why. Gray and brown pressure plates are only triggered by players.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10713 on: October 14, 2013, 09:54:43 pm »

Found a RoDiscord. Shit, this thing's awesome.

Now, to think about what to do with my contained patch of Underhallow.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #10714 on: October 14, 2013, 10:56:04 pm »

To be fair, I used Ice Armor up until I got Turtle Armor. It's better than anything you find until that point as far as defense values go, and even ignoring armor and going with bonuses it's pretty dang awesome.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10715 on: October 14, 2013, 11:10:24 pm »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10716 on: October 14, 2013, 11:10:40 pm »

Yeah, the metal bosses were nerfed quiet a bit in the move to 1.2 since they are no longer the final bosses.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10717 on: October 14, 2013, 11:56:15 pm »

The desire sensor has followed me from MH to here. In 10 Golem fights, we got:
1 Staff of Earth, 1 Sun Charm (i think), 2 Eyes of the Golem, 3 Styngers, and 3 Possessed Hatchets.

Darnit.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10718 on: October 15, 2013, 12:06:34 am »

I messed around with crabs a bit earlier, I don't think they trigger pressure plates anymore.

The pressure plates out in the world were all changed to player-triggered-only ones, so if you were using those, it wouldn't work. You need red or green (anything activates those), or yellow (players do not activate, anything else does).

I have a bunny statue set up with pressure plates and bomb statues, and they press the pressure plates properly (you can hear it, and the bombs spawn).

My test setup with bunnies (chiefly to test the design - I hooked it up to bomb statues to mass produce them, although it doesn't take advantage of their rapid cycling):
With wires: http://puu.sh/4QvVV.png
Without wires: http://puu.sh/4QvZI.png

The switch makes them start spawning, and as they jump on the pressure plates they act like a rapid timer. The high speed button pressing is utterly wasted on bomb statues, obviously, due to the long cooldown they have. (The layout around the platforms, the open space, and the stairs are important to making the bunnies jump onto the platforms and jump around on the pressure plates)

As an aside, when I had it on during a bloodmoon the number of (corrupt) bunnies appeared to grow exponentially, because they were triggering their own statue every time they jumped on one of the pressure plates, and the population limits on the statue were no longer in effect. I assume there was a maximum pop for the area which they eventually hit, or something, since the game never crashed (of course I was killing them too, but they were spawning faster than I could kill them!)

Due to the absurd number of corrupt bunnies spawning in a blood moon in this device, I suspect you could hit an ridiculously high rate of panel pushing (not sure what to test it with).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 12:08:13 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10719 on: October 15, 2013, 07:15:54 am »

My treebase is taking shape.

This is the home of Sparkle the party girl.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...I am no longer sure that the shape of the skull-room was an accident.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10720 on: October 15, 2013, 09:16:45 am »

I'm seriously wondering how you deal with those 'high-flyers' which can go through walls.

But that is one good treebase.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10721 on: October 15, 2013, 09:35:25 am »

I'm seriously wondering how you deal with those 'high-flyers' which can go through walls.

But that is one good treebase.
I don't, not yet. This is a pre-hardmode world, with a different character.

This is a Large world too, so I might not even reach the "airborn Fun" altitude with the populated part of the Tree. The unpopulated part will probably be full of mobility ropes and other similar things to facilitate fighting the things - that's in addition to paved cloud roads and maybe even a teleporter network up there, if I manage to beat any of the bosses.

Haven't actually managed to kill any of the upgraded hardmode nasties yet, btw. I don't like setting up arenas, but my icebergship made for a hilariously broken vantage point against the Destroyer. It reached very high up with its loops, probably using my access rope as a foothold, but it hung juuuuuust beneath my ship's bottom, so I could theoretically do whatever I wanted with it. Unfortunately, I wasn't as patient as the situation required, so its lasers ultimately sniped me off, but I was in a surprisingly good position against it that time.

The Twins, though, beat me rather soundly in firepower. That character needs bigger guns. Did get Spazmatism into orange-level health once though.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10722 on: October 15, 2013, 10:28:55 am »

Without Wings you cannot "truly" fight many of the hard mode bosses mostly because without them the game's TERRIBLE CONTROLS come into play and you won't be able to dodge anything.

Second you will need a hard mode weapon higher then adamantine quality.

You absolutely need the "Increased invulnerability time" item. There is no way around it, it is one of the few items that will have a permanent slot in your inventory along with the wings and speed boots. (Yeah, I know it is sad that three slots in your inventory should reasonably be filled at all times leaving only two truly optional accessory slots)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10723 on: October 15, 2013, 10:30:58 am »

Without Wings you cannot "truly" fight many of the hard mode bosses mostly because without them the game's TERRIBLE CONTROLS come into play and you won't be able to dodge anything.

Second you will need a hard mode weapon higher then adamantine quality.

You absolutely need the "Increased invulnerability time" item. There is no way around it, it is one of the few items that will have a permanent slot in your inventory along with the wings and speed boots. (Yeah, I know it is sad that three slots in your inventory should reasonably be filled at all times leaving only two truly optional accessory slots)
None of this is true. I've killed the destroyer twice without wings and beaten many of the other hardmode bosses without exploiting the invulnerability time items. Just because you're bad at a game doesn't mean you can bash it and claim that your way is the only way to play it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10724 on: October 15, 2013, 10:36:25 am »

I never said any of the exploits (none of which still exist)

You need the wings to do dodges without an area the only replacement is the bundle of balloons but then you would need the horseshoe, the wings actually eliminate a slot.

You need the invulnerability frames to stop chain attacks, if things go wrong you will be chain hit a lot and die.

You need the speed boots because, you need speed boots.

These items are not optional because there is nothing more "optimal" regardless of your build, these slots are no negotiable.

. I've killed the destroyer twice

So have I what is the point? He is the most exploitable hard mode boss and can be killed in a few seconds with the right items (Harp and Shadowbeam, but also a few swords tear into him in a few seconds). In fact I am curious if you killed him without using any exploits or Post-Adamantine items.

Ehh who am I kidding... No one fights him without exploits.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:39:59 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 887