Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 828 829 [830] 831 832 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1229390 times)

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12435 on: September 14, 2017, 11:32:21 am »

gonna fish heavily in the meantime. the faster i get the water bucket and the sponge the better. also, need money to fund the demolitions.

FYI, both of those tools are hardmode-only quest rewards.

To get them before hardmode, you could have an old character donate them.  Or you'd need to use an inventory editor.

On the topic of hell platforms, I like to build one around 2000 to 3000 blocks long and four blocks high, made out of standard stone with ebonstone on top.  Tedious, but I'll use it later. 

I try to make sure there are no ash blocks exposed to air.  This prevents hell mobs from spawning.

After I get the Clentaminator, I make one half of the platform hallow with a single block layer of ebonstone on top.

This works amazingly well as a soul farm.  Hardmode corruption mobs are much safer than hardmode hell mobs.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12436 on: September 14, 2017, 01:02:04 pm »

gonna fish heavily in the meantime. the faster i get the water bucket and the sponge the better. also, need money to fund the demolitions.

FYI, both of those tools are hardmode-only quest rewards.

To get them before hardmode, you could have an old character donate them.  Or you'd need to use an inventory editor.
Or gen another world for your character, pop it into hardmode, and open the boxes over there.  The game only checks what a fished-up box contains when you open it, rather than when you first fish it up.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12437 on: September 14, 2017, 06:22:34 pm »

what? ugh, i thought the only hardmode reward for fishing were the wings and the hot line fishing rod.

the demolition work has been sucessfull mostly, 90 units of sticky dinamite are more than enough to open the cavern, less if you take in accound natural holes inside the rock. the only annoyance is the large amount of monsters that accumulate while you're trying to perforate and without the cobalt shield the bats are a bloody nuissance.

it took me another run of farming 20 jungle crates to finally get the staff of regrowth. i also gained a lot of money from it to further buy dinamite. unfortunately i lost a fiberglass rod i had sitting in a chest, dont know what happened, maybe i hit the restock option or something. i dont remember selling it but ok.

no angler earring yet. next thing im gonna farm is probably sky crates, finding floating islands is cool but due to the graphics in this PC i cannot explore the sky as i wanted. fortunatelly i found a skylake early and at a low enough altitude to not get annoyed by harpies (i think).

the only downside is that i have to find the islands for the Sky mill (and i have to make another world until i find the Living Wood Loom too). but its not a priority.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12438 on: September 15, 2017, 12:27:54 am »

In my current run, I beat the WoF with little trouble (meteor gun/armor + assorted other magic weapons) and thought "hey Hardmode can't be too bad, right?"

Cue two hours of dying horribly to everything.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12439 on: September 15, 2017, 12:47:37 am »

In my current run, I beat the WoF with little trouble (meteor gun/armor + assorted other magic weapons) and thought "hey Hardmode can't be too bad, right?"

Cue two hours of dying horribly to everything.

again, Harmode is practically starting all over again, never underestimate what the game can pull once you kill the WoF.

i demolished more than half of the ceiling road but got short on gel so i cant make more sticky dinamite, gonna wait for a slime rain. in the meantime i mined sand from the nearby deserts (also leveling the terrain for easy travel) in order to make the first island. the idea is to make it a kind of bazaar island to house the merchant, dye trader and arms dealer.

the basic foundations are done, now im building the first structures. but i may have to change some stuff here and there. there's no shape yet. also, its a shame that trees cannot grow underground. guess i'll have to use patches of mushroom grass until i get giant caps (if they even grow in a few squares).

if not i'll have to resort to the living wood wands to make artificial palm trees.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12440 on: September 15, 2017, 07:19:53 pm »

dropped the whole Unterzee thing. too much stuff to move and the furniture sets are very limited. i hope, that i'll be able to pull this mega project in Starbound as it was originally planned.

now, instead of that, i decided to do a hardcore expert run.

here's my first night house, this world generated with corruption and also, got the tundra right at my frontyard so i could do a bit of variety in le typical starting box

https://imgur.com/R0eEt3w

now the thing i cannot decide is if going melee or mage.

EDIT:

here's the box after a using some stuff i found around

https://imgur.com/JkbydxY

im saving on copper for a broadsword, i could technically go for the cactus sword (and the cactus armor) but since its hardcore and expert i would probably die so im gonna go safe with this. funny thing is that i also avoided dying to a boulder trap by getting hit by a slime.

most of the essential stuff is already there. the pot is for growing daybloom early.

EDIT 2:

died by knockback from a zombie and a demon eye. so fucking frustrated, everything was coming along so nicely goddammit.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:00:57 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12441 on: September 16, 2017, 10:41:41 am »

ok so i started all over again in a blank world, this one has crimson again, it was a bit hard to find materials because of elevation but i got plenty of stone for bricks and a bit of sand for glass. the desert is a few walk at the west and the jungle is far and untainted as far as i've explored. the first patch of crimson i found is right on top of the tundra but i got to cut down some boreal wood.

the current base looks like this atm: https://imgur.com/OrD15ZU

trying to be carefull this run, havent found boulder traps but plenty of dart ones. the good thing is that the first cabin i found had the magic mirror so i can spelunk without worrying about the way back.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12442 on: September 16, 2017, 11:19:53 am »

Ow. Werewolf hurt. Hurt lot.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12443 on: September 16, 2017, 11:40:50 am »

Ow. Werewolf hurt. Hurt lot.

they are pretty tough for starting hardmode and the bleeding debuff is annoying unless you have extra regeneration. they drop some needed items tho.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12444 on: September 16, 2017, 11:45:28 am »

Hardmode is... Hard. Everything keeps killing me. I'll be barely escaping some armor then get a perfect recreation of robot unicorn attack etc. The desert even kills me and before that was like a safe zone. Maybe I should restart and properly prepare for this stuff, I kind of was rushing to get to hardmode... My edge of night's not even got a quality, it's just normal...
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12445 on: September 16, 2017, 11:54:21 am »

Hardmode is... Hard. Everything keeps killing me. I'll be barely escaping some armor then get a perfect recreation of robot unicorn attack etc. The desert even kills me and before that was like a safe zone. Maybe I should restart and properly prepare for this stuff, I kind of was rushing to get to hardmode... My edge of night's not even got a quality, it's just normal...

that's the point of hardmode, you can ease the pain by having pre-WoF armor like crimson/molten which can give survivability, also, well fed buff and some defense modifiers in accesories.

but yeah, its not supposed to be a walk by  the forest. you dont have to restart, just be carefull at night.

if you have fishing gear you could look for crates during the day, once you hit harmode the ores appear in crates too. so you can have that option in case that looking for them in the underground is not possible.

did you smash the altars with the pwnhammer?

EDIT:

fuck i have to start all over again, fucking demon eyes entering the house... -_-

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12446 on: September 16, 2017, 11:58:17 am »

that's the point of hardmode, you can ease the pain by having pre-WoF armor like crimson/molten which can give survivability, also, well fed buff and some defense modifiers in accesories.

but yeah, its not supposed to be a walk by  the forest. you dont have to restart, just be carefull at night.

if you have fishing gear you could look for crates during the day, once you hit harmode the ores appear in crates too. so you can have that option in case that looking for them in the underground is not possible.

did you smash the altars with the pwnhammer?

EDIT:

fuck i have to start all over again, fucking demon eyes entering the house... -_-

Ah not yet, I was scared of the ghosts I read about. And crates drop the ore? Might not even do it then, I have a ton of wooden ones I got too lazy to open when searching for golden and iron crates.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12447 on: September 16, 2017, 12:00:37 pm »

yeah hardmode ores and bars can be found in crates. it doesnt mean that you will get full titanium/adamantite in a few boxes but you should be able to at least get some cobalt/palladium to start kicking.

now about the altars. they Wraiths appear a few seconds after you smash it. you could just smash the most amount you could and then just teleport back home.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12448 on: September 16, 2017, 01:22:45 pm »

I never saw the point in  being so conscientious about halting the spread of the biomes, except maybe a little area around your home. Otherwise they spread slowly enough that by the time they've taken over most of the world, you've got the gear that they aren't an issue. Maybe people just play a lot more slowly then me, or leave their servers on or something, but I found that in my medium world even by the end of my play though there was still quite a bit of uncorrupted area left.

At least for me, it's not a matter of difficulty. Yeah, you'll absolutely be able to handle the mobs and other dangers by the time it's taken over most of the world, so it's not so much that as it is the principle of the matter. This is *my* world, I've put a lot of time into it, and I've taken to liking it the way it is... I'd rather not have it just decide to stomp all over everything and convert the entire world into one of two biomes and make it so I can't escape that damned music.  And trying to clean it up after it's contaminated something? Hah, not likely... The clentaminator is bloody expensive to purchase and use, doesn't have a large enough AoE or reliability to make it worth using outside of controlled projects, and is fighting against a spread that's so fast you can actively see it reclaiming the blocks you've just hosed down.

A large enough contaminated area is pretty much a lost cause; trying to turn it into something that ISN'T corruption or hallow is just going to be an exercise in monotony at best, futility at worst. You're better off just blowing it up as far as time and resource investments are concerned.

I just don't like the game deciding that it's going to steamroll all the varied and interesting environments in the game and turn them into a gigantic monochromatic blob of heightened-spawnrate annoyance, and that I don't really get to have a say in the matter.  Even killing off Plantera just slows the spread, it doesn't stop it or revert it to the manageable pre-hardmode spread that doesn't go through stone blocks.  And it even affects the gameplay, technically... You can effectively lose the underground jungle thanks to how corruption/crimson spread works, meaning that all the resources, mobs and fishing tables for the jungle get lost unless you build your own artificial version with blackjack and hookers.

And there are also a number of quest fish that only spawn in underground "forest" areas, meaning an area that is neither hallowed nor corrupted. Those areas can get increasingly difficult to find if you're not staying on top of the problem.
indeed, Jungle Armor is the end of Pre-Hardmode for mage, well, Meteorite Armor is good too but its mostly built around the Space Gun. the Wizard set (and the Gypsy Set) are more for early game. 15% increase magic damage is good but unless you're good at dodging its better to have more defense.

the Diamond Staff is like the Platinum Sword, its the best bang for your buck on the early game but you will have to move onto other magic weapons as you advance. if you reached hell the Demon Scythe should suffice unless you want to go for the Bee Gun or the Dungeon related ones.

i wish they would buff the Amber Staff. maybe even put it above Diamond in terms of quality, yeah a Diamond is the most rare and powerfull gem but for all the annoyance of harvesting the fossils the Amber should be the higher end from all the gem based staves.

Actually, the wizard set with gypsy robes can hit considerably higher crit and damage levels for magic items if you give them meteorite or even jungle pants. Remember that the "set" is just two items, so you can slap on any shoes you feel like wearing, and the overall bonus is actually quite significant. Yes, the jungle set will have slightly more mana (anywhere between 20-60 more mana, all depending) and defense (I believe it's 8 points difference if using jungle boots, don't recall offhand), but the jungle suit DPS can't compete with gypsy+wizard hat.  And in Terraria, especially in expert mode, the best defense is a good offense... Dead enemies don't bite.

As for amber vs. diamond, yeaaah... It's kinda hard to say. Yeah, I had a diamond staff before I had an amber staff, but the only thing standing in the way of making amber staves is getting that first extractinator. If you're lucky with chests, you can find an early extractor and start spewing out amber staves like nothing.

The whole gem staff line is honestly a bit of an oddball.  Generally speaking, unless you're specifically aware of where you're going and what you're doing, by the time you've scraped together the resources to afford a decent gem staff, you'll already have a couple alternatives that are far more attractive... Hell, I'd probably rather go for meteor suit+gun over a different magic set with a staff just because of the utility the spam gun gives you.  A vilethorn with a decent modifier would also be far more up my alley than a frankly rather mana-expensive gem staff.

I'd probably just as soon use the fossils for making a spare fossil armor set or some javelins/throwing daggers. That armor set is actually capable of some pretty beastly pre-hardmode DPS thanks to how it works, and it's all sorts of pound town with the bone glove in expert mode. Just buying a stockpile of grenades and using those can be frighteningly effective, and I'd argue that they're the best candidates for using the hive pack thanks to the huge bonus the set gives to using beenades.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12449 on: September 16, 2017, 01:51:16 pm »

Heh... Now, see, that'd work for any jungle that wasn't like the one I've got in my world, with its own personal miniature crimson biome smack dab in the middle of everything.

Also only works if you get lucky and don't have an altar spawn a corrupt splat somewhere on the inside of the barrier.

At least corruptors don't actually corrupt things with their loogies anymore, holy fuck that was disruptive...  Had to build "corruptor palisades" everywhere to catch stray spitballs on the surface.

As an aside, regarding explosives, for as much fun as dynamite is (as well as providing very nicely-sized excavations), bombs do seem to be the more economically efficient method. You'll get a fair number from pots and whatnot, plus bomb statues can give you even more free explosives, but even if you did pay for every one the bombs will actually clear more blocks for your money than an equivalent purchase of dynamite.  Plus, 99 stack size vs. 30, and bombs have a shorter fuse time so the whole process moves a bit more quickly.

Plus you get them thar boomfishies in decent amounts if you're as avid a fisher as I am. Pulling up stacks of 20+ in a single cast can quickly amount to a fair amount of piscine detonation, even with their comparitively small chance of getting hooked versus other fishing spawns.
Pages: 1 ... 828 829 [830] 831 832 ... 887