Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 859 860 [861] 862 863 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1226611 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12900 on: November 11, 2017, 08:55:14 pm »

died a few times (fucking vultures). but i found some interesting stuff while finding an entrance to the underground. the nearest one is right at the limit betwen forest and jungle. it featured a cabin and 2 hearts. found some topaz and got soem amethysts from a crawler. but i couldnt go deeper because the tunnel goes straight to the underground jungle, almost get killed by a Mudman actually.

so im obligued to avoid going underground for now. what i can do is try to stay in the surface jungle and kill all the bats/piranhas in hope of getting the GPS components. the compass is the most critical for building purposes.

i also got enough Wulfrum to craft the armor set with the melee headgear. it doesnt give too much damage actually but the extra 5 defense when under half health is welcomed for the first boss. the cabin had enough web to compensate building the wooden yoyo too, and got to make the White String accesory. one of the amethysts was used to make a ring (got enough lead in one of the living wood chests to craft the anvil with metal to spare) and then an enchanted ring, the Enchanted Amethyst Ring reduceds damage taken by 4 points flat. which should further help me to survive in the desert and beyond (not to mention that the accesory came with Armored, so its +3 defense on top of that).

i dont have enough NPCs to get the travelling merchant yet, once i get the compass im gonna start putting the layout for the new Amphitheater and start building my house. already got a lot of chests from the surface and underground, but i need space to settle in. mostly for the bed and the crafting stations. the Cook's room was big enough to allow the anvil and the furnace but its getting short on space already.

its gonna be tricky to choose Yoyos on this run actually, since all 3 mods add their own yoyos to the collection. Spirit has the most amount of them, Calamity and Thorium add some with cool effects. and not to mention the vanilla yoyos that i have never used.

EDIT:

well the jungle is clean this time. i can rest for now knowing that it wont be lost in hardmode. if the Corruption spawned on the west side, then i guess its more likely that Hallow will appear on the east side. well, i saw hallow cutting a part of the crimson the last run but one can hope that the jungle will be safe from infection on this one.

i couldnt move more because i got swarmed by enemies. had to drink back to base to not risk all the money i had gotten while exploring. found more chests, wand of sparking, wooden boomerang, flute, climbing claws and aglet. a bit usefull.

a piranha dropped a hook so i can make a grappling tool early, but still no compass. i got enough lead from the chests to craft the Altar of Creation. just need to beat the first 3 bosses and get 40-50 units of primordial magic for making the Solus 1.

EDIT2:

the jungle is followed by a desert with a Pyramid. it doesnt go too deep but the chest has the flying carpet. so there's another item covered for later on. the Reach is Right past it. hopefully this will shield this side of the jungle from another patch of corruption that is a few tiles after it.

i couldnt stay too much in the reach. some of the mobs are too hard, i dont know if this is normal for all the versions of this biome but it spawned with some sandstone slabs or bricks since it was right next to a desert. also, there's a heart sitting in the bottom of the structure. i couldnt take it down because of the enemies. there was a chest with the Forsworn Pendant, but im not sure if i should take it. cant remember if it can be crafted into something else and +3% melee speed isnt much actually.

EDIT3:

well looking at the map the Reach intersects with the Pyramid so that's why there's sandstone bricks mixed with the reach grass. since there's corruption past that then i guess its exploring the tunnel, see if i can reach the underground from there taking in account its on the limit with the jungle. should have enough defense to tank the mobs now thanks to the accesories.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 10:29:42 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12901 on: November 11, 2017, 10:09:00 pm »

Ach, wish me luck. I've disabled thorium and calamity, left spirit on (because biome conflicts are fun, let's break the generation code in half), and turned on, like. Eight or ten new mods. Think only two or three were major content mods, but... still. Going to be interesting to see if it explodes and/or if my computer crawls into a corner and cries instead of running the game.

E: it hasn't crashed yet, but I have learned a lesson: Maybe don't try to run the recipe browser mod when you're adding in probably several hundred new items :P

E2: Welp, there it went. Crashed as the recipe thing was nearly finished loading, ha. Let's try this again...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 10:46:26 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12902 on: November 11, 2017, 10:56:50 pm »

found 2 more cabins, one had the extractinator, the other had cloud in a bottle. also found 2 more hearts. but yeah the tunnel goes into the jungle, i was expecting it to at least lead to a bifurcation or something.

im gonna have to keep farming those piranhas until they drop what i want. some of the jungle enemies can be dealt with but Mudmen and Spiked slimes are still too dangerous.

EDIT:

the Grand Thunderbird has been defeated. only had to summon once, and it dropped the Zephyr, however, since the aglest has Warding, im gonna stick to it for a while. sadly no melee drop, but i can still make use of the expert mode item. the yoyo keeps most basic enemies at bay but fliers are a nuissance most of the time, so having a bow is a must. the bossfight took quite a while because of this. i used the flute because of its homing projectiles but the damage was obviously low taking in account im not playing a Bard.

what im glad is that it seems you dont need potions to fight it, so i can save the rest of the few potions i've scrapped for something harder to kill like Scarabeus or the EoC. im gonna see if this bow allows me to get past the corruption to see what else is beyond it.

EDIT2:

the unreal Talon Burst i got from the Thunderbird was more than enough to keep those eaters away. and got an Eater Staff so i can have some backup while doing other stuff. there's 2 corruption patches on the west, the one that extendes past the center which is the biggest as of now, and another smaller that goes past the Dungeon, so yeah, the west coast is fucked this time. unless i do some heavy demolition work on it or something (not like i cant get the materials of the ocean out of the Diverman and some mobs).

the Dungeon spawned as always in a really weird place, right at the bottom of a mesa in the end of a desert, so there's a huge wall that will make fighting Skeletron a royla PITA unless i bulldoze and level that part. the tundra goes right past the first corruption. it is fairly even terrain so it shouldnt be hard to find an entrance to the underground ice there. now that i've built platforms over the holes it shouldnt be too hard of a trip to get Icy shards. the armor you get from those is 3 points weaker than Wulfrum but gives an aura and a freezing effect, the real deal however is being able to make Frost Heart Elixirs which is a buff potion that makes you inmobile (or freezes you in place) while giving +10 defense and +40 health regen. that's massive defense wise. should've known about this before this potion may had been usefull against the Devourer of Gods. but oh well.

from the Spirit side there are Icy/Frost Essences but the armor from that one gives even less armor for a double melee and magical bonus (mana included, but y tho?) so thats straight into cash for now.

there was a enchanted sword shrine but it was a fake one. i only found 1 surface chest while exploring that half of the map but it came with the Radar. next time im gonna see what is past the eastern corruption. since the Reache spawned right before it its probably that there's nothing that can stop it from spreading into the east coast. so both oceans will be infected by the end of the game i think. gotta check further.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 12:50:09 am by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12903 on: November 12, 2017, 01:51:32 am »

Huh. I'm not sure which mod is doing this, but I'm definitely liking it. Started the game with what looks to be three random spell glyphs, which could be stuck into one of four three slot skulls to make a complete spell. Between my starters I had a thing that would spit out four rotating boulders (megaman leaf shield style) with good knockback, multiple hits, wall piercing, and the chance to cause confusion on hit. Expensive-ish for the early game and the damage is pretty sketchy, but very solid utility.

By the time just before noticing it's a quarter to one in the morning, however, I've found something that replaced the plain jane direct straight line firing pattern... with a bat winged eyeball that acts like a summons, doesn't seem to go away, and independently casts the spell with no cost beyond the initial summoning. It's, um. Pretty neat, particularly in combination with the birb staff (which summons a quite ruddy aggressive bird animal, the little white ones) that fell out of a tree. Makes me feel like I made a terrible mistake going gunslinger on a whim with some kind of upgradable starting artifact/class accessory, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12904 on: November 12, 2017, 11:41:25 am »

opened a small tunnel on the tundra, havent found any intersection yet to go deeper. also, i dont know if it was because i was using an older version of Calamity but the stress bar doesnt reset when i die. which is annoying. so i had to put a fireplace in one of the trees so i can shove out the debuffs.

once this thing is down im gonna explore further. there's more chances to get the compass from the ice mobs than waiting on those piranhas (and they appear underground so even more chances). the only tricky part would be dealing with the spiked ice  slimes.

EDIT:

no cabins on the way down. it took some time to find the cavern layer, too much aquifers around. ran out of arrows to keep probing for openings. found a heart crystal and the skeleton merchant spawned with a purple counterweight so there's another yoyo accessory (it came with warding when i bought it, noice!).

i got a lot of junk while surveying there but for the whole trip you have to make just to get a chance for the compass it would be best to just sit in the jungle and wait for the piranhas.

EDIT2:

well it didnt take too long, i got packs of 3-4 piranha while waiting in a jungle lake, the mini eater did the job. already marked the 160 tile limit on both sides of the spawn. fortunately they didnt intersect with the trees. im gonna build the house past the closest one (the one where the cook is living). already added some dirt to flat the terrain and put the base flooring. now it just need to wait for the boreal wood to grow for making the walls.

with that settled i can get the Merchant and the Desert Acolyte. both sell a yoyo with a damage difference of 1 point i think (allthought i think the one sold by the acolyte can inflict poison).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 02:47:45 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12905 on: November 12, 2017, 03:24:28 pm »

Hrm. Well, crash giving thoroughly unhelpful error message mixed with some UI issues (of the "wait a tick, where the buggery did half my inventory go" sort, among other things) with the RPG one I was checking out, and I'm re-enabling calamity (on top of the rest, so I'm at trio-thorium+like-eight-other-mods, assuming it doesn't crash while reloading) because because. Also one of the other RPG ones I grabbed to peek at.

K one (never bothered to actually pay attention to the name, but it's the only K name I can recall) was nice so far outside the interface problems, if fairly low key on the actual stat gain side of things (less so surrounding mechanics, heh), but those interface problems were a thorough pain in the arse. No autopause unless you want little things like the shop interface to disappear, intermittent problems with the extra inventory pages that looked to have caused the disappearing inventory trick, some other stuff including incompatibility with magic storage which I really want to check out. It's fairly well done design wise and mostly works, but mostly doesn't cut it very well when it takes like 10 minutes or more to load all this mess, heh.

... or not, since mod loader seems to have updated and calamity and spirit are noping out during initialization. Grumble grumble. Also the mod browser self-update in-game thing is itself crashing, so... fix later. Generate new world now.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12906 on: November 12, 2017, 06:59:21 pm »

oh yeah, got to start digging a long part of the hellevator and got enough boreal wood from the artificial farm i've settled up. the first floor and the two basements were completed. should have enough space to house all the crafting stations im gonna need, along with enough storage so i dont have to fill the third floor with chests. time will tell.

the merchant arrived as expected, "Fool's Gold" is a nice upgrade from the Wooden Yoyo for now, it has a longer reach (i think), slightly bigger damage and shoots projectiles (in a random pattern). once the next generation of boreal trees have grown im going to work on the second floor. since i havent used any heart the next NPC should be the Desert Acolyte. he too sells a yoyo, so i guess the Fool's Gold will go to the collection later on.

now that i have a place to save the junk, i should be planning on getting more metals or explore the underground desert. hunting Cnidrions should be a priority since i need to improve my armor. Wulfrum was the best in terms of defense, but i need something bigger to kill Scarabeus. so the most logical solution should be to get Victide (there's a yoyo made from it). the materials from the other bosses arent of use for me because Chitin is used for a Summoner armor and Sandstone is used for a Thrower armor. another option would be to mine/fish for metals (i have to anyways because im running low on lead and have to craft the bathroom props, not to mention the platinum/gold for the watch).

EDIT:

finally reached the cavern layer. found a cabin with the magic mirror anda bookcase. had to demolish part of it because it obstructing. also, there was an explosive trap that yielded a massive stock of lead. but still i dont think its enough for the bathroom. anyways, later on the hellevator goes in the limit between a granite and marble caves. there was also a minecart rail in the path. the mini eater found a spider cave a few tunnels west of the rope and there was a heart. it seems that one goes deeper but i'll check it later.

most o the boreal trees have grown, just missing one sapling. im gonna see if i can reach the magma layer before building further. im keeping an eye on any cabin to get the band of regeneration or the spiked shoes.

i also got to kill a Giant Shelly and a Gilded Bat so there's 2 contracts fulfilled and some danger fragments. allthought i think danger armor is for ranged, have to check.

EDIT2:

had to stop digging because of those flamekin mobs. but that means that im already reaching the magma layer. i returned to the surface and harvested the boreal wood. turns out i had gotten enough lead to make a full bathroom set with some spare ingots for making the fishing rod. as it was expected the Desert Acolyte arrived to the base so now i have a Scorpain yoyo (has longer range and slightly higher damage than Fool's Gold, it throws indefinitely and can apply poison to targets).

im gonna wait until the stress has disappeared then venture into the underground desert. need antlion mandibles to craft the items for Scarabeus and the Desert Scourge. then see if i can kill some Cnidrions too for getting the Victide armor.

EDIT3:

well, from the wiki it seems that Victide is actually on the same lvl as Wulfrum the difference is that Wulfrum gives some extra bonuses while submerged in liquid. so yeah not much of an upgrade. im gonna have to go with an ore armor instead. probably Thorium if i can get enough material. if not, i'll have to go fishing.

the antlion entrance is quite long actually. the hole goes down up to the point where Tomb Crawlers start spawning. ive killed at least 4 Cnidrions, allthought mosto f the mobs here hare still too tough for the Scorpain to kill (the antlions are an exception and die rather quickly). there's also an underground pond here, for some reason the entrance is filled with water. it could be a cool fishing spot actually (shame there's no desert fish or crate ingame).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 12:21:07 am by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12907 on: November 13, 2017, 03:22:12 am »

I'd probably recommend double checking about that desert fishing, heh. Pretty sure it's the fishing 2.0 mod I'm running, but the mess I'm running actually has desert stuff you can fish up. Might be something new you can pull out the water.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12908 on: November 13, 2017, 11:50:39 am »

i only have those 3 big content mods. nothing more, but i recall there's some new fishables in the Spirit biome and a lil guppy quest fish for the angler.

anyways. tried to fight Scarabeus with the current equipment (with some help from the antlion mount i got to drop again). it took 2 kills to get the artifact material. i dont think im ready to fight the Desert Scourge so im going to keep farming for that Victide armor instead.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12910 on: November 13, 2017, 12:48:04 pm »

well turns out i could kill the Desert Scourge just by putting a long vertical rope and kill it with the yoyo aimed down. he didnt drop the wind stone but got enough material to craft the Victide armor which turns out to be better in terms of stats to Wulfrum (that wiki lied). i spent some hearts to boost health to 200 so i bet the blood moon will come soon.

among the boss drops i got 2 pieces of the angler set and the summon weapon. there's no yoyo from this thing so i'll have to wait at least until the goblin army (unless i get a Rally). so for now i'll have to keep fighting with the Scorpain along with the Talon Burst and the new brittle star summon.

next boss should be the EoC.

EDIT:

im 4 hearts out of maxing life again. wanted to make a ruby gauntlet (it gives like +8% melee damage) to complement equipment but havent found any gem spot or Ruby Crawler mobs. i've farmed a lot of silt to see if the extractinator gave them but nope. got enough gold to make the watch tho. the only GPS component left is the depth meter but the bats always take a time to drop it.

for now i've replaced the climbing claws with a Molten Scale (fair amount of defense, setting enemies on fire when hit is a plus too). gonna check if i can kill the EoC with this equipment. i dont think im gonna need potions for it because of the accesories and the armor bonuses. the only downside is not having a good yoyo but 13 damage should be enough, besides, i have a summon as backup just in case.

EDIT2:

several salamanders and shellies later, still no Rally. i got more than enough danger shards to craft the armor set but need an Arcane Fabricator which means killing the EoC first and having a space avaliable for the Blacksmith.

i almost get the amount of rubies needed for the gauntlet. just need to kill one more crawler. or get some of it from silt/slush. i found another set of tunnels but no hearts and a cabin with nothing interesting.

EDIT3:

made a house for the Guide. its missing the Bathtub but it helped to open slots for the nurse and the dryad (which sells a 17 damage yoyo, noice!). the EoC didnt drop the artifact material, so i have to kill it a bit more, probably will do it in a world with crimson for the seeds. it dropped a sword instead but since this is a yoyo run i sold it. the shield is good because its melee and thus i can increase the damage but until i get the Goblin Tinkerer the Molten Scale is better, at least in terms of defense.

i re used some of the dirt i mined from the hellevator to fill some holes and prepare the terrain for further expansion to the east. now the plan right now is to get that blacksmith. there's some in the underground so im going to skip fishing. if i cant craft the Danger armor, i can always harvest Clatterbone from those post- EoC mobs. the other option i think is getting Floran Armor but im not sure.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 06:27:50 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12911 on: November 13, 2017, 06:54:04 pm »

Trying to get the mask from the slime king. First dozen or so attempts, nothing, so I decide to dump the 53 gold and see exactly how many "several" is in this overcharger thing's description.

... it turns out the answer is ten. Ten slime kings, ah ha ha.

Oddly enough, I think it might have been an easier fight than a single one. I'm at barely gold tier in terms of weapons (and not even that for armor), so I've mostly been using the mount to goomba stomp my way to victory, raining arrows and debuffs from above. Turns out when the floor is king slime it's notably easier to stay in the air. Who woulda' thought? Though I did end up bombing part of my next door plains to get rid of the remnant carpet of those spiky slimes. Probably should have thought through the lingering aoe concern to a larger degree than noticing I had a few bombs in my inventory part way through the fight :V

E: oh sod off

flush with victory I head into the partially constructed inverted ziggurat that is my NPC apartments

walk through the front door

"You feel an evil presence watching you..."

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 06:59:01 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12912 on: November 13, 2017, 08:25:29 pm »

you made me remember i missed king slime before killing the EoC. gonna have to summon him or wait for a slime rain.

anyways. i had to start another construction proyect because the Painter took residence in the Guide's bathroom. had to start setting up the Merchant's store and the blacksmith arrived there. most of the second floor is ready to settle but first i need to farm more boreal wood.

in the meantime i crafted my Danger Armor and went hunting for those rubies. only found one Ruby Crawler but with that i was capable of crafting the crimson gauntlet i wanted (that 7-8% damage increase isnt noticed tho, what a waste). it was just what i needed because a Blood Moon finally fell. the Guide died while i move away of the settlement and he was replaced by the Cobbler instead.

i got the Money Trough but not the Shark Tooth Necklace. got a yoyo/boomerang hybrid weapon called "Plague" (it kinda looks like a Drippler, the thing is that the boomerang and yoyo stances are random). got the 2 books you get from killing the Patchwerk miniboss and some other trash loot i dont need.

now that Patchwerk is dead i can get the Confused Zombie and thus save having to go to the Corruption/Crimson and farming lenses. but first i need to make more housing.

what im gonna do now is see if i can clean the corruption in the ends of the map.

EDIT:

well fuck, the eastern corruption is too big, it goes all the way into the coast. gonna have to try cleansing the other one. try to save one edge at least.

EDIT2:

ok this wont work. the chasms are too big. guess i'll have to live like that. at least the Aquatic Depths seem unscathed.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:55:37 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12913 on: November 13, 2017, 08:55:19 pm »

Oh nice. This... grealm, checking (what mod is this is a godsend, heh), thing has a dowsing rod. That points to the nearest plain, living, or water chest in a 200 tile radius. It's, uh. It's nice.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12914 on: November 13, 2017, 09:22:47 pm »

hmmm according to the wiki Clatterbone has the same defensive stats as Danger. so i dont need that one.

finally got enough boreal wood to finish the Merchant's house. the Confused Zombie arrived before night time, and bought some vertebra and chunks to give to the cook. now that this one has been finished and there's 2 more slots avaliable, im gonna start building the new Amphitheater.

the travelling merchant also appeared with a lot of stock. cement mixer, dps meter,  dynasty materials and even a Code 1. so i jumped further in DPS. should be enough for the EoW fight.
Pages: 1 ... 859 860 [861] 862 863 ... 887