Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 860 861 [862] 863 864 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1226578 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12915 on: November 13, 2017, 09:53:50 pm »

Kill EoC. Meander for a bit doing little. Decide to open pandora's box (a 20 gold item claimed to be able to do just about anything) because ?.

Receive wyvern. Oh dear.

Kill wyvern after long, long string of mostly single digit damage pings (occasionally 11 damage or a crit in the twenties!), receive souls of flight. Well then. Thank you, based thorium icy arrows. I'm glad I remembered that if you whang a wyvern in the head with a slowing attack it basically stops moving for as long as you can keep it applied.

Bit of a scare at first, though. Didn't think to change arrows, was goomba stomping it to dodge, accidentally fell into a fairly deep digging tunnel. Got out of the thing with one hit worth of health left and potions on cooldown, ehehe.

hmmm according to the wiki Clatterbone has the same defensive stats as Danger. so i dont need that
the travelling merchant also appeared with a lot of stock. cement mixer, dps meter,  dynasty materials and even a Code 1. so i jumped further in DPS. should be enough for the EoW fight.
Wish the guy'd hurry up on my end, heh. Wouldn't mind making the next layer of the ziggurat apartments out of their stuff.

E: goddamnit game

very next day traveling merchant shows up

has no building materials for sale

nothing placeable except a chalice

wish i could goomba stomp this jerk right now
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 10:13:46 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12916 on: November 13, 2017, 10:43:05 pm »

the first phase of the megastructure is finished. i tried to follow the compass indicators and did "160" tiles on each side from the center. had to do some leveling to match both but got to do do the floor for the 2 entrances and the underground tunnel for the Hellevator. everything is made from stone slabs to save on materials (and time).

now i just need two materials. one filler for the arena because sand tends to cause mobs to spawn on the surroundings and the other to make contrast with the bricks. marble is too time consuming to gather. so i was thinking on something else. any suggestions?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12917 on: November 14, 2017, 12:16:31 am »

Not off the top of my head, but if it's worth anything explosives makes marble harvesting go much faster :P

Assuming you can find them, anyway. Kinda' feels like one or more of the mods tweaked world generation on that front, though. Seem to see more granite and marble biomes than I want to with those ones running, heh, at least on medium and small.

Any case might actually consider using some kind of placeholder (processed snow of one sort or another if you're after a mostly white block? Think the traveler occasionally sells white team blocks or something, too.) until the giga drill or rocket 3s or something are available. Then it's faster-than-drill-unit scoot going down.

Alternatively, martian plating. Always martian plating. Martian plating accentuated with pirate dropped gold junk, bordered with celestial blocks and interspersed with spike pillars. Go for a lovely little invasion chic dealio, mod invasion style events bits and bobs and seasonal stuff optional.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12918 on: November 14, 2017, 11:16:19 am »

i think im gonna go with the shiny stone wallpaper sold by the painter. just for the background wall fillers. the rest will be Slab. i've already finished the lateral walls with the sitting space for the crowd.

but now im doing  something with the Hellevator. gonna try to get the first 1000 tiles down walled. then gonna see how much ebonstone brick  i can churn out to make the rest of the descent into the Underworld.

i think im gonna go with Silt for the arena filler. it doesnt spawn anything and it can be found by the plenty (i think). i'll probably have to mine the entire corruption for those bricks, which is good for cleansing the world (not sure if the background walls in those chasms can spread the biome tho).

im gonna finish putting the first 1000 slabs of stone in one of the walls then look for that silt.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12919 on: November 14, 2017, 12:51:53 pm »

Well, after finishing prototype 2 it was back to Terraria.

Finally decided to enter hardmode, so I headed down to visit Mr flesh. ~150 beenades later I got some shitty loot and two stripes of growing problems.

The hallow is no big deal, right where I expected it, but the corruption spawned starting quite a ways away from the spawn, most of it outside the planned containment. This lead to the realization that I really didn't want to deal with this shit, and a few seconds with tEdit later I had two nice vertical stripes of couruption and hallow between the dungeon and the ice. Each stripe starts as forest, and ends in a small patch of desert in the center. Perfect.

Yes, I'm a filthy cheater, but now I have more time for the fun parts :P

Damn, I forgot how much early hardmode feels like starting a new game. Even my trust arkhalis is practically useless.

Amazing luck is mine! Way back when I started this run I got the reaver shark on my second cast in the ocean, just now I got the toxicarp on my ~10-15 try, then I moved over to the hallow fishing spot and got the crystal serpent on my very first cast... Lets see, 0.5% chance each, one after the other? I hope my luck holds at that level...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12920 on: November 14, 2017, 01:46:49 pm »

the filling is almost complete. just need like 10 units of silt to finish. then its making the background wall.

i went to the jungle to search for silt there. only found a handfull of it but got plenty of other stuff there. one mahogany tree had the spiked shoes, got some units of wood from the ents and a bezoar from a hornet. i also found a large chunk of Thorium which coupled with some bags of potential was more than enough to make the anvil and a Pax (pickaxe + axe). it doesnt have the power to remove ebonstone but once its upgraded it can mine up to hellstone. so its the better investment right now.

the Code 1 was enough to keep jungle mobs at bay and the Danger Armor set bonuses makes me inmune to a lot of debuffs including poison which is one of the reasons one doesnt explore the jungle early.

i also found 2 more hearts to complete the 5 i needed for maxing health for now. im gonna need more for the lanterns anyways. gonna have to check further from the other entrance.

EDIT:

the other entrance tunnel to the underground jungle ended too early. only found like 1 heart and a beehive but no silt. found the remaining amount while looking in some familiar pockets underground.

i also starteddigging the other side of the hellevator walls. reached the granite cave and left it. was gonna go to the edge of the map to farm goblins but remembered i havent finished the first part of the Ampitheater yet. so i took some of the stone i harvested while digging and made more slab walls. was just closeto putting the slab frame when a slime rain started. gonna see if i can fight King Slime with current equipment on the arena.

EDIT2:

well that fight didnt take too long actually. got the slime hook and the usuall stuff. finished putting the slab frame and bought some sparkling stone but it looked weird so i replaced it with fancy gray stone wallpaper. it look more in line with the rest of the materials.

im currently camping the dungeon since there's a water candle placed already. already got two goblins but one spawned from the other side of the wall so it despawned when i tried to go for him.

also, turns out the Solus and its upgrades are magic weapons. the melee artifact weapon is actually the Shard of Thanos. i havent got the remaining materials to craft the artifact anyways but its good to discover this.

im still missing on fighting the EoC again since it didnt drop the artifact material. and after that i have to kill the Vinewrath Bane boss but first i have to do the goblin army and summon the EoW.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 03:39:35 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12921 on: November 14, 2017, 04:07:02 pm »

Please stop killing the butterflies I need to make a better one of you, butterfly staff. I get that you don't expect a 5 hp component piece to be flapping around in a caverns level granite zone or whatev', but I need those to hire your replacement make you a prettier stick.*

In other news, but I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread that magic storage is kinda' amazing. I'd just like to report that, yes, while the material constraints involved can be annoying (gib diamond gib silver stop screwing with me game), it is indeed kinda' amazing. Put the pieces together and get a searchable/filterable/sortable list of whatever you shove into the system? Yes, yes thank you. Go to hell chest pile clogging up my everything.

* Though yes, I know you can cancel summons buffs to get rid of summons. Sometimes you don't scramble quick enough :-\
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12922 on: November 14, 2017, 07:35:13 pm »

dont forget that you have to catch a golden butterfly for the final staff.

ok after 3-4 days camping near the Dungeon i finally got enough tattered cloth to make the battle standard. the goblins were tame to kill, mostly because i had a platform in the arena to keep distance from them, the Code 1 had the necessary dps to shred all but the tankiest goblins.

sadly these guys didnt drop any yoyo. got plenty of Yew Wood so im going to check i can do something out of that. if not, im gonna used it to build. dont want to rush to the Eater of Worlds yet because i need some more NPCs. mostly the goblin and probably the adventurer and the others.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12923 on: November 14, 2017, 08:00:26 pm »

dont forget that you have to catch a golden butterfly for the final staff.
Yeaaah, if that doesn't get lucky early enough I'm probably going to drop a zerg pot on the NPC apartments during daytime. Enough residents there and they mostly squelch hostile generation, which means you get 30x critter production interspersed with the occasional slime. If you need gold critters and you're real tired of being patient, that's the way to do it.

... also the mods I've further stacked on top of everything has at least one double rate accessory. Going to be reeeeaaaal interesting to find out if that's additive or multiplicative, ehehehe.

And hey, weird one tile hole in the ground ultimately going about a fifth of the way down the map led to a sword grotto thing. Arkhalis get!

E: Huh. Not sure I've seen this before. Total ocean chests (y'know, the water ones along the ocean floors) in this world: 0. None got generated.

E2: Alright then dye man. My character has now taken on their true calling: Shiny Hypnosis Themed Supervillain. Shame it looks kinda' ass without the moving bits. Blue acid on an archaeologist's hat, red cape, and slime mount, reflective copper on my armor, leggings, and the glowing shroom shell I've got on my back that makes me look like a knockoff doctor octopus. This is serendipity.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:24:03 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12924 on: November 14, 2017, 08:42:54 pm »

made the Goblin's house using the Yew Wood and some other stuff (rich mahogany for some furniture because aparently, Thorium doesnt have a full set of furniture for this material). current residents are the Goblin of course, the guide and the party girl.

for the next house im gonna build the Restaurant again. which means i have to kill the EoW and get the Tavernkeeper. shouldnt be too hard. what i like about this spawn is that i have plenty of flat land to expand the town on both sides. there's no lake but i  can do that later on. so i can build on both sides of the Amphitheater because both Corruption and Desert are at a fair distance.

i also need to start thinking on where im going to put the Crimson in this world. now that im gonna get access to a nightmare pickaxe, i  was thinking on doing a bigger megaproject which is digging the eastern corruption completely and making some sort of contained habitat megastructure that goes down to the underworld layer then infect it with crimson.

EDIT:

i fought Crabulon and warded the accesories to prepare for the fight but i dont know what happened because i was legitly killing the worm but somehow i didnt get the treasure bag or the announcement saying i defeated it. i got a lot of scales and ore but not enough to make an armor out of it, and i ran out of vile powder or mushrooms to make another summoning item. seems i'll have to wait if a blood moon occurs to buy it from the Dryad. it was really weird. maybe it was the terrain or something. gonna have to fight it at the entrance of the biome which is mostly solid ground. i got the legendary weapon (an spear) but no treasure bag, basically a part simply despawned or something, really weird.

i got to make my Enforced Thorium Pax to mine the corruption blocks but its still too slow.

anyways, seem its the waiting game for now.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:02:27 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12925 on: November 14, 2017, 10:09:21 pm »

Sweet hell I've built magic storage's crafting access. The sentiment may have already been expressed in the thread, but this is goddamn glorious, of the "I don't entirely know if I'll be able to play this game without it" variety.

Image for a moment if, instead of dicking around with the guide and wikis and fifty thousand chests with god knows what who knows where and a dozen crafting stations you could, instead. Shove all your shit in a single, search/filter/sort enabled, box, jam crafting stations into another box, and then that second box will tell you exactly what you can build with those stations and all your shit. Said all things, again, search/filter/sort enabled.

Quality of goddamn life just spiked having done this, is what I'm saying. One of the more time consuming and clumsy parts of terraria, bloody close to just straight up fixed. Friggin' great. Would heavily recommend anyone still playing this game to stop hating yourself and get the ruddy magic storage mod.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12926 on: November 14, 2017, 10:18:49 pm »

if its as good as it sounds i'll try it. well, it seems Calamity will have its next update tomorrow (it changes a lot of stuff regarding Yharon and the DoG, allthought from what i read it seems still too much unfair, there's a few new things and some re-spriting, and a few fixes to the AI of some bosses).

i think im gonna wait until that patch arrives then start all over again with a thrower character instead. this yoyo run was good but the EoW bug thing and the landscape bored me.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12927 on: November 15, 2017, 12:37:21 am »

The grappling hook the steampunker sells? I bought it on a whim, and it is pure distilled awesomeness.

It has a long reach, and it freezes you in place rather than pulling you to where you fired it. This sounds like it could be bad, but you can use the movement controls to move back and forth along a straight line from where it is attached. Just to make it absolutely perfect, if you are hanging from it and you fire it again to get a new hold, it doesn't let you drop.

If you use a grappling hook for mining caves, or for construction, or anything even remotely similar, you owe it to yourself to spend the 50 gold to get this thing. It makes traditional multi-hooks look like annoying toys.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12928 on: November 15, 2017, 01:24:40 am »

In other news, but I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread that magic storage is kinda' amazing. I'd just like to report that, yes, while the material constraints involved can be annoying (gib diamond gib silver stop screwing with me game), it is indeed kinda' amazing. Put the pieces together and get a searchable/filterable/sortable list of whatever you shove into the system? Yes, yes thank you. Go to hell chest pile clogging up my everything.
The diamond part is somewhat alleviated by the fact that you get shadow diamonds from bosses you kill for the first time. Those count as diamonds just for the purpose of that mod. The best part is that once you get a half dozen storage units, you're basically set. The upgrades for storage massively increases it basically at every point you open up more of the game. And far endgame you basically get to access it like the money trough.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12929 on: November 15, 2017, 10:23:26 am »

And in today's episode of medium world dungeons gone wild,
Spoiler: The Horizontal Tangle (click to show/hide)

Why you go so far that way, dungeon? I'm going to have to dig holes to you to farm worth a damn if I don't get access to teleporters before the point I have reason to farm.

Also yeah, once the initial resource hump is over it's pretty smooth sailing. Think my limit's either 400-ish or double that, finally, so my everything is now in the box and I've got a while before I have reason to do much upgrading.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 860 861 [862] 863 864 ... 887