Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 878 879 [880] 881 882 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1229426 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #13185 on: June 08, 2020, 07:27:08 am »

'course, once mods get in it's just a matter of building an instant hellevator item and poof, done :P

But yeah, lacking QoL improvements like that, bombing straight down is absolutely the fastest way to make a hellevator prior to having, like, lunar tier pickaxes or the mining drill mount thing or somethin'. Maybe even still then, the mining mount is kinda' shitty in vanilla, tbh. There's mods (well, for 1.3.5) that significantly increase its digging speed, and it's pretty nice.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13186 on: June 08, 2020, 06:33:01 pm »

Why not just... dig? It doesn't take that long, even on a large map. I dug ours and then lined it with brick and nice brick backwall part of the way down, to the underground cavern city.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13187 on: June 08, 2020, 07:22:10 pm »

It takes longer than I'd want to be holding a button down staring at the character slowly inch its way downward, especially prior to actually having a digger worth a darn. Also with explosives, you have the bonus of there being, y'know, explosions :P

I've dug the things before (hell, probably dozens of times by this point), and the reason you don't just dig is so you don't have to friggin' dig the bloody thing. Imagine, for a moment, just. Not. Digging that thing. Ruminate on it. Breath deep and throw down an instant hellevator and not have to deal with it. The play experience becomes better. Digging one isn't that big of an issue. Digging your sixtieth becomes a gigantic, "Naw, screw this nonsense." And there's options to screw that nonsense, either with explosions or (if you play last patch) things that are actually quick and relatively painless.
Ask not!
Ask!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13188 on: June 11, 2020, 06:22:35 pm »

So I decided that I may as well play 1.4 since 1.3.5 was going much better.  Im definitly the kind of person who likes to explore and take my time, and the game doesnt particularly reward that.

I have to say that, insofar as early game is concerned, I was killed by the dead mans chest, the dandilions, I fell off a cliff because the pixies that are completely harmless started chasing after me underground, 2 cheeky boulders, several GD cactus from the desert underground, and zombies now properly jump when you try to jump over them again.

The antlion of 135 is not the giant antion, which I can appreciate the change because that knockback resist meant I needed to be able to out-damage this tanky monster.
In fact, desert underground has probably been one of my favorite new places to go early game.  Grenades solve so many problems with dps in there.  Almost as many as they create, if you go too early.

Basically, cacti are a 1shot kill on you in expert mode, the sandlion larvae will be painfully scary if you are not in silver or better armor, and a sword and spear/mace combo are your best bets for melee.  One for the flying drones, and the later for the chargers and worms.  Grenades are great underfunded since a lot of time space is tight and there are many overhangs for the ai to get stuck on.

Going in there as early as possible has been a blessing insofar as getting mobility items and the occasional weapon.  those houses are a godsend, and 1.4 seems to pair houses up into small communities so that you can usually get several chests at once.  With judicious use of recall I make off like a bandit as soon as I can get a hold of metal armor and the demolitionist.

My current world has a world seed of my name, and it genned a very interesting looking living tree.  Usually I focus more on collecting npcs and finding an 'interesting' place to build my functional base, but in this world I found one a short walk from spawn.  Right next to a hilly cave entrance are 3 living trees, so close as to initially block my path.  They intertwine several times with each other and the cave.  The cave leads out to the snow biome and then winds back and through a mushroom.  Lava is directly below this, which strikes me as still too high up, but Ive noticed higher lava on occasion in this new version.

There was a diamond gem tree, which Im up to 9 trees in a farm now.  The mushroom biome is huge as far as minibiomes go, easily long enough to be several screen lengths.  The site is marvelous, and barring the depths of the jungle and the crimson which I havent fully mapped out the best place save a desert by one ocean, but I just finished building a desert fort in 1.3.5.

Expert mode . . . at least eg up to hardmode has not been as painful a transition as I would have thought.  Its all very doable with some prep work, and last game even hell itself, which started as an exercise in pain, became just run of the mill.  Ive gotten much more proficient with my timing and familiar with the ai.  Even a lot of defensive structures I like to make have been refined.

1.4 though, what a transition.  its not a new game entirely, but I feel like they've balanced towards a different direction.  Ive just put down the cthulu brain, and look forward to the rest of the new stuff.  I feel like I die at least once to every new thing they put in....

P:

have to say though . . . easily one of my least favorite parts of the update are the new music tracks.  too loud, for one thing.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 06:25:34 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13189 on: June 14, 2020, 02:38:36 pm »

Hey Pisskop, glad to hear you enjoy the game too. I haven't played it in a very long time, so at times I was not sure if it's something new or something I forgot.
I've also finally killed the Moon Lord, something I've never done before, and now I am only left with building beautiful towns with machinery and mini puzzles. Reading your post was entertaining.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13190 on: June 14, 2020, 06:15:42 pm »

For the gem trees you can actually make gemcorns with an acorn and gem of whatever type you want it to be.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #13191 on: June 19, 2020, 01:59:14 pm »

I just saw a cloud shaped like a skull.

And in the game meme, yes.

What are your favorite Easter Eggs?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13192 on: June 30, 2020, 09:42:36 pm »

I've been playing the Calamity mod recently, and oh god is it so much better than the base game. Granted, the mod is stuck on the patch before Journey's End, but holy shit is it so cool. Like 23 new bosses, and 10 mini bosses, and a changes to existing bosses to make them harder and cooler; and they need to be hard, you have so many more items now, many with complex crafting trees and just keep combining things together. And some of the more onerous aspects of Terraria are helped out, by including crafting recipes for accessories you'd normally have to find in chests but aren't really worth turning the world upside-down looking for, and the inclusion of Blood Orbs that allow you to craft any kind of potion easily, so you don't need to be constantly on the hunt for ingredients.

I just really love it, I can't wait for the mod to finally patch itself up to Journey's End, so we can have all the cool shit from that too.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13193 on: August 02, 2020, 08:49:26 am »

A new update for the Calamity mod has released: Rust and Dust

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJcq6H2Hj7o

Change logs: https://calamitymod.gamepedia.com/1.4.5.001

It'd be cool if anyone here would be interested in playing a new multiplayer world with all the cool new stuff. It might be buggy, so I'm not sure how viable it is, but it's worth a try.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13194 on: August 02, 2020, 10:56:06 am »

Eh... maybe once it (and other mods) works with the new patch?

You'd want at minimum magic storage as well, for what it's worth, possibly recipe browser, too... calamity (most of the giant mods, really) is mildly miserable to play without that, imo. All the extra stuff just makes the problems with vanilla inventory management and crafting that much more evident :-\
Ask not!
Ask!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13195 on: August 09, 2020, 04:38:13 am »

Well I think I can say I've officially beaten Terraria.

Still probably a couple dozen banners I haven't earned. Tons of biome/event/weather specific enemies and drops I've yet to run down. A few bosses I haven't yet gotten around to Summoning (namely Betsy and the Flying Dutchman.) And one or two items on several bosses I've yet to farm up despite all the RNG buffs I can find. Like three armor sets I haven't completed. And still all the Expert and Master Mode drops to farm. Probably a couple different kinds of fishes I haven't yet caught and mounted on a wall. Several statues and plenty of paintings left to find. I certainly don't yet have every object in the game duplicated in Journey mode. The bestiary isn't completed.

But by and large everything else is done.

Making stuff in a map editor pretty much removed any reason for me to duplicate every block and furniture item in the game. If I want to make it, I just do it in a map editor.

With a good arena with all the fixins and buff objects, Moon Lord was pretty much a joke. Once you get a couple things from the Celestial Pillars crafted it's a done deal. I went the Summoner route this time and it pretty much trivialized the latter half of Hard Mode.

Good times though. I can't imagine I'll have much motivation to fire up Terraria again after this, unless I get the creativity itch and wanna make something pretty then look at it in game.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 04:44:50 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13196 on: August 09, 2020, 07:36:19 am »

You have only finished the beginning! Now, you mod :P

Or not, but seriously if you do get something of an urge in the future, I'd recommend it. There's seriously robust mods for terraria that add a lot of content -- more biomes, more enemies, more bosses, more cosmetics, etc. -- to the game. If you're looking for a fresh run with stuff you just haven't seen before, well, the option's there.
Ask not!
Ask!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13197 on: August 10, 2020, 05:52:18 pm »

I'm waiting for the time when the modding catches up with 1.4.x

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13198 on: October 13, 2020, 03:11:59 pm »

They've released a new update. A new NPC, some new achievements, some bugfixes and rebalances.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13199 on: October 13, 2020, 03:27:03 pm »

This is supposedly the very last update for Terraia
Pages: 1 ... 878 879 [880] 881 882 ... 887