Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steam  (Read 1113 times)

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Steam
« on: May 17, 2011, 12:03:50 pm »

Continuation of http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84826.0
I changed topics and felt a new thread was a good idea.

So I was thinking of playing with steam (by using it as a power source). And seeing what I could do. But I read aside from saunas and some traps there is almost no use for steam and toady dosen't want to add it.
But under the current game mechanics it should be possible to use it to power windmills as far as I can figure.

Are there any othe ways I can use it? Like with pumps (can you pump gas?)? or with mods?

I'd really like to build some awesome steam machines. Im sure others have thought about this.
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 12:34:07 pm »

Steam is basically useless now. Back in 2d, it was basically the ultimate defense, but since the switch to 3d and the massive realism overhaul with temperatures and such, its been toned way back.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 12:40:53 pm »

Im mostly interested in it to use as a power source. Steam engines, turbines, ect
I only play legends mode

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 12:42:48 pm »

Im mostly interested in it to use as a power source. Steam engines, turbines, ect

Steam literally does nothing, you simply cannot use it as a power source, period.  Sorry.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 12:45:15 pm »

No can do. I admit at one point I was looking forward to that. Now I know more about the limits of the game.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 12:56:01 pm »

I just found an old thread about this same thing.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=48258.0
It really wouldn't be that hard to do. Turn steam into an upward falling liquid that you cant drown in. There's your steam.
I dosen't have to be steam punk (what toady wants to avoid).

All you would have to do (if steam worked) is create a pool of water near enough to a large heat source (magma) for it to boil. Then have a room above for the collection and preasureizeation of steam. Then have machines that could use it. Ie pistons, tubines, gas pumps, ect.
Imagine how awesome having a steam works would be (pipes running to and fro to cary steam to the needed machines)?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 12:58:03 pm by Zaphod »
I only play legends mode

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 12:58:20 pm »

I just found an old thread about this same thing.
It really wouldn't be that hard to do. Turn steam into an upward falling liquid that you cant drown in. There's your steam.
I dosen't have to be steam punk (what toady wants to avoid).

All you would have to do (if steam worked) is create a pool of water near enough to a large heat source (magma) for it to boil. Then have a room above for the collection and preasureizeation of steam. Then have machines that could use it. Ie pistons, tubines, gas pumps, ect.
Imagine how awesome having a steam works would be (pipes running to and fro to cary steam to the needed machines)?

You have now stepped completely out of the realm of gameplay questions, I would suggest continuing this duscussion in the suggestions forum.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 01:00:56 pm »

well to be fair it started out as a question  :P.

I make a post there about it.
I only play legends mode

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 06:20:58 pm »

But having steam act as a new source of power is pretty darn cool (and dwarfy)

Something like every unit of water evaporated --> 10 units of pressurized steam?

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 06:34:27 pm »

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 06:39:04 pm by Zaphod »
I only play legends mode