Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Bugs, UI issues and Minor Suggestions  (Read 26139 times)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Bugs, UI issues and Minor Suggestions
« on: May 17, 2011, 04:26:32 am »

(aka BUMS)

I think there used to be a thread where people posted bugs and minor suggestions so they were neatly in one place. I think we could use such a thread.

I will try to collect all posted BUMS in this very post. Please don't propose large changes (new sites, new issues, new super secret easter eggs) in this thread, as they need to be planned a bit more carefully than minor tweaks, flavortext and bugfixes. Note - finding more BUMS will result in the devs playing less and working on the source more, and while the best BUMS hunters probably won't get a medal, they certainly deserve one.

Open

* UI consistency needs work - every screen should scroll and exit using the same keys
* Elections/political situation should be visible during prison/hospital time. Perhaps the waiting screen should be substituted with a modified version of the disband screen?
* In trunk, Dodge skill has special messages. They should be expanded with new messages depending on what type of attack (melee, bullet, flame?) was dodged.
* Flag burning gives a criminal flag even when L, and past flag burning crimes won't be nullified until L+
* Z - key seems to stop scrolling at Robert E. Lee bunker (or any last safehouse on the list?)
* Make street sense see through character disguises and reveal CCS membership
* Military sleepers stealing equipment causes vector subscript out of range during certain conditions (see Tylus' post below)
* Sleepers may be promoted to leaders, which causes nasty death-by-waiting if they're the only people alive
* Major abuse hole: It seems to be possible to move squadless liberals from safehouses under siege to another safehouses.
* Ammo for Deagle and Machinegun should be available somehow (expensive mercenary supplies?)
* Quick wait key for basemode (Wait until end of month or something), site mode (wait until encounter)
* Make important screens (sieges etc) not skip when holding waiting key
* Make S key not skip the encounter appearing text (to avoid unnecessary loss of life)
* It is possible to have money not transformed from loot into actual money (happened to me after a siege)
* Running away from cops may result in multiple chase screens, Liberals getting away and another one popping up
* CCS safehouse Conservative response is gang units, not vigilantes. Crack houses get death squads (possibly other police when laws are Liberal enough).
* CCS safehouses contain valuable stuff even after taken over, abuse holey.
* Datenap messages: Liberals threaten to "blow their brains off" with a flamethrower. Other variety could be implemented as well.
* CEO may return after converted, needs to be confirmed and fixed.
* Sleepers recruited by sleepers show up as "downtown" in R -> 5 screen, while the Activate Sleepers screen they're in their correct location?
* Advance warnings (from CIA, possibly others as well) may use the locations' pre-business front name

Resolved in trunk

* Portrait sketches have the wrong help page (one for street music is presented)
* T-shirt help file mentions cost, but that feature has been removed
* Teaching fighting won't train first aid and dodge, unlike documented
* In Teaching liberals screen, keys 2 and 3 seem to be reversed
* Locksmith character, a fairly easy recruit with guaranteed security skill (all the current security characters are either random or tough to recruit)
* Missing strings in hacking text (Liberal has  a corporate website)
* Surrender screen from siege may say that the Firemen confiscate everything, even during police siege
* Sometimes, the death of a squad leader may cause all followers to become leaders

Needs clarification (ideas, suggestions, how-it-would-work)

* Ammo waste from reloading should be mitigated somehow
* UI overhaul for reducing tedious repetition
** Default action for each liberal has been suggested, so you can set, for example, hacking as a liberal's default activity and activate it without menuing through. Perhaps the main base screen should have a key for "order squad to do their default activities" which would cause everyone in the squad to do their default action?
** Improving the bulk activity screen?
* Game needs more ingame documentation
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 04:11:19 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Elodie Hiras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, UI issues and Minor Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 06:13:17 am »

Hello!

First aid and dodge teaching don't work. I trained my founder up to 3 dodge (angering then dodging random conservatives), and had 2 first aid (answer D to the last question), and then make her learn teaching (1 point in that skill), then made her teach urban warfare. And then no recruit got an increase in dodge, nor first aid (And I made sure all of them were at the same safehouse).

Thank you!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 06:28:08 am »

Hello!

First aid and dodge teaching don't work. I trained my founder up to 3 dodge (angering then dodging random conservatives), and had 2 first aid (answer D to the last question), and then make her learn teaching (1 point in that skill), then made her teach urban warfare. And then no recruit got an increase in dodge, nor first aid (And I made sure all of them were at the same safehouse).

Thank you!

This is very true, looking at the source. I'll mark this up and fix it as soon as I get home (which is a bit late today). Thank you!
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Elodie Hiras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 12:16:29 pm »

By the way:

Flag burning will get you a criminal record at L law (when flag burning is legal), and the previous criminal record for flag burning doesn't goes away at this level, only at L+ flag burning law.
Prompting the help page for selling portrait sketches prompts the one for street music instead.
The help page for selling T-Shirts still says that it costs 4$ a day for supplies. Wasn't that cost removed a few versions ago?

Minor suggestions:
I hate discarding an almost full magazine because one of my liberals ran out of ammo and I hit [R]eload. Could the magazine be kept, and when going back to safehouse, all partly spend magazines combined into full mags?
Shouldn't we be able to unload our weapons? Getting bored to get 60+ loaded assault rifles from the army base and having to buy magazines (No, I won't say clips.) just to get everyone stuffed with 9 mags for their hungry M-16 while I have enough ammo for it... Just already loaded.

Thanks again! The game is still great by the way!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 02:15:00 pm »

Thank you, Elodle Hiras! I think I'll have a lot of great moments sorting out the bugs (not irony). The magazine parts might be trickier as currently there's only one type of mag - full. But I'll see what I can do once the bugs are squashed.

EDIT: Oh yes, about the first aid/dodge training... I didn't have time to test it yesterday, so I didn't commit it yet, but I'll do so today. I did fix the help messages though (I think).

MORE EDIT: First aid and dodge are now trained! Huzzah!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 10:38:09 am by Kay12 »

Elodie Hiras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 01:02:43 pm »

Little UI issue: The Liberal Agenda Screen:

Conservatives are supposed to be right wing. Liberals are supposed to be left wing. Why are conservative law levels to the left, and liberals to the right?

Thanks!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 01:13:50 pm »

My biggest problem/suggestion with the UI is that very, very little in the game is self-documenting. You have no idea how good different armor types are, what a mask does, and so forth, without extensive and probably pointless trial-and-error, and sometimes not even then. This is honestly one of the biggest usability problems with the game, in my opinion.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 01:27:16 pm »

Little UI issue: The Liberal Agenda Screen:

Conservatives are supposed to be right wing. Liberals are supposed to be left wing. Why are conservative law levels to the left, and liberals to the right?

Thanks!
It's in alphabetical order.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 02:34:07 pm »

I consider it intentional, as in Western culture (and, some argue, in human thought generally) left-to-right movement is interpreted as progress. It's rather evident (at least for contemporary Western culture) in the way we read and write.

I wholly agree with the documentation issue.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 03:37:43 pm »

The other usability issue I've seen is, quite frankly, tedium. It's always been sort of a pain in the ass to do repetitive tasks in LCS, having to get all your squads and members in order and tell them what to do so often, even if it's usually the same stuff. For instance, having a bunch of squads at one location doing one thing, then moving them and having to tell them to do all those things again. At least in the past, you also had to reset everything after having squads do on-site actions, but I'm not sure if that's true anymore. The gist of what I'm saying, though, is that often there's an incredibly large ratio of interface-fiddling to actually-planning-things-in-your-head, which is bad in any game (or software, really).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 03:49:43 pm »

Yeah, LCS has the potential of having a wide terrorist organization with very specialized branches, which very few bother to use because the UI doesn't make it easy. However, I have little clue on how to revamp the system so we wouldn't have issues with tedious organization tasks.

Elodie Hiras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 11:08:41 am »

How about setting a default activity in the [A]ctivete liberal screen for each liberal? Then, when you hit the default key, and each liberals does his default action. And also a way to assign tasks in bulk (this one would be easy: allow to select multiples liberals in the [A]ctivation screen, then selecting one activity for all of them)?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 11:12:44 am »

We already have a bulk activity screen, which could be expanded in my opinion. Not to say default action wouldn't be good.

Tyius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 07:09:51 pm »

Bug I found that only tends to happen when i have army personal stealing equipment for me and then some event happens, voting, end of the month equipment drop off, etc.  get this text in a box that says Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library as its title the rest of it is

Program: C:\Users\Zach\Desktop\lcs_win32_4.04.0\crimesquad.exe
File: D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include\vector
Line: 779

Expression: vector subscript out of range

For information on how your program can cause an assertion
failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts.

(Press Retry to debug the application)

I'm tempted to fix it myself, but my C++ is mediocre, from programming experience in general though it just seems like an out of bounds array caused by the above events.  Which is probably obvious to like everyone lol.
The murders are for their own good. I regret none of them. All were sound decisions made to balance the scales in favor of prosperity.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 01:04:45 am »

Just had a case where after my founder died, a sleeper was named leader and everyone else left, resuling in just a loop of "Time Passes" and "Monthly Action Reports"

Probably should just make sure sleepers can't become leaders?

Version 4.04.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16