Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: Bugs, UI issues and Minor Suggestions  (Read 26248 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: Bugs, UI issues and Minor Suggestions
« Reply #225 on: January 10, 2013, 06:01:43 pm »

* Military sleepers stealing equipment causes vector subscript out of range during certain conditions (see Tylus' post below)

Can't find the reason for this in the code, and I'm a little too lazy to try to reproduce the bug directly tonight. Does anyone know if this has been fixed? Kinda wondering if Pesi found this one, he's caught a lot of little mistakes like this.
I seem to remember this one being because of a typo where the sleeper tried to take the nonexisting item SILVERWEAR, and that changing it to SILVERWARE fixed it.

That rings a bell for me too. I'm going to call this one fixed.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 10, 2013, 10:48:17 pm »

* UI consistency needs work - every screen should scroll and exit using the same keys

Did this for exiting, but need more information about scrolling. What are the inconsistencies?
IIRC the Liberal Agenda and character screens use cursors, whilst most everything else uses the brackets.  Would suggest having the Agenda use brackets as the character screens can justify cursors (three pages per Liberal requires both inter- and intra-Liberal scrolling).
<snipped stuff that's fixed or WAI-KA101>
Edit:

Unless you're saying that you should be able to select "ambiguous" as your biological sex. I guess that's plausible. Probably not all that hard to code,[citation needed] but you'd need to decide how the game reacts to you and write a bunch of flavor text. "The doctors said you were neither a boy nor a girl. Your parents were horrified."

Citation: It would indeed be easy to code, and is already almost supported. "The doctors said you were an intersex baby" is actually in the game code, but it's a bug if you ever see it.
Thanks; let me know how I can help.  (To the degree that a non-cpp individual can, at least.)  I work with an Ambiguous person IRL and know a few others online.  Increasing gender-ambiguity in gaming seems pretty Liberal to me.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 10, 2013, 11:49:45 pm »

Thanks; let me know how I can help.  (To the degree that a non-cpp individual can, at least.)  I work with an Ambiguous person IRL and know a few others online.  Increasing gender-ambiguity in gaming seems pretty Liberal to me.

Proposed Implementation:

SEX: Male / Female / It's Complicated   (Press C to change your sex at birth)

The doctor said I was an intersex baby.
My parents insisted otherwise.
They named me Harmony Channing.

Picking the option mentioning "homosexuality" normally causes the sleeper lawyer you can start with to be the same sex as your founder, and otherwise it's forced to the opposite sex. I'll leave this unchanged, though since you aren't male or female, not selecting it will leave the sleeper lawyer's gender random, rather than forcing it to the other.

First names roll on both male and female name banks. Gender neutral names are twice as likely as other names, since they're included in both name banks. There aren't a lot of them, but they'll be represented twice.

Example gender neutral names: Akira, Paige, Kelly, Jo, Raven, Riley, Billy, Sam, Hillary, Yanping, Jamie, Alexis.

Pronouns will be unchanged. LCS already uses "they" and "their" as singular gender neutral pronouns when dealing with Liberals who identify as neither male nor female.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:54:14 pm by Jonathan S. Fox »

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 11, 2013, 12:59:17 am »

I don't see anything problematic there, though I'll check around first if you don't mind.  Weekends are a wonderous thing.  Any plans on later-game effects? (Entering the Club, seducing the CEO/others, etc.)

Probably not something that should be implemented tonight--would rather get it right than get it quick.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 11, 2013, 01:03:43 am »

I don't see anything problematic there, though I'll check around first if you don't mind.  Weekends are a wonderous thing.  Any plans on later-game effects? (Entering the Club, seducing the CEO/others, etc.)

Probably not something that should be implemented tonight--would rather get it right than get it quick.

All later game effects check specifically for male or female, or are based on the Liberal's self-identification. Nothing in the game other than character creation cares if you were born with the GENDER_NEUTRAL tag.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 11, 2013, 02:28:19 am »

Hmm.  I'd gotten the impression that the born-with tag was more important than that--this basically is a UI accessibility upgrade, rather than a new feature.  I suppose it makes sense from the playability perspective, though, given that the self-/player-labelling is all the player can see.

Initial "Am I missing something important?" checks seem to be coming through OK thus far.  Will check with the colleague at a more reasonable hour: I'm in US-Eastern so it's about 2:30 AM now.  Time where mistakes can happen to those of us on conventional schedules.

Based on what you've said re later-game effects, I won't object if you need to nail it down now, though.  Thanks much.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 11, 2013, 06:24:34 am »

Details on how neutral sex at birth will work in the places you were expecting it to make a difference:

1. In entering the club, you will be able to make a disguise check. If you succeed, you'll be waived in. If you fail, the bouncer will say something like "You /really/ don't look like a man to me..." or "Uhh... can't let you in, ma'am. Sir. Whatever." If you change your gender to female, the bouncers will switch to rejecting you outright with a snide comment about husbands or sewing circles.

2. The CEO will respond to pickup lines by saying "I'm a happily married man, sweetie." If you change your gender to male, he'll switch to a comment about Brokeback Mountain.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 13, 2013, 04:25:45 pm »

OK, so there's one line of anti-ambiguity at character creation (horrified parents) and a special-tile where Ambiguous folks can get grief in-game (bouncers).  The bouncers deny Ambiguous-presenting folks already, so that's not a new thing, and given that they're supposed to be a problem I don't think they're a dealbreaker.  I suppose the horrified-parents might be problematic, but then it is called [the Founder's] Traumatic Childhood.

So far as I can tell, the proposed implementation is good; I appreciate the feedback and being able to talk up LCS that much more effectively.  Thanks much.

Flameswath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 11, 2013, 01:12:53 pm »

A weird bug I found running 4.07.0 while getting raided.

It seems most of my loot is outside protected by a minefield. Never had this happen before. Don't know if I'm supposed to attach a log because idk how to do that but this is the only bug I've found after a good 10 hours of playing.

The Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 11, 2013, 01:50:55 pm »

Did you install a new version on top of an older one? In the past I've had really weird map bugs like that because I didn't put updates into a brand new folder.
LCS Graphical Remake:

https://the-cheshire-cat.itch.io/lcs
Current progress: ~100%

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 11, 2013, 03:49:49 pm »

A weird bug I found running 4.07.0 while getting raided.

It seems most of my loot is outside protected by a minefield. Never had this happen before. Don't know if I'm supposed to attach a log because idk how to do that but this is the only bug I've found after a good 10 hours of playing.

I've never been able to figure this out, despite seeing reports about it every once in awhile.

The shape of the outside area down there looks like old fire damage. Have you had fires during site actions in the past?

Flameswath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 12, 2013, 08:20:09 am »

I had Firemen show up and attack but they never got a shot off.  I guess there very presence can burn shit down.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 12, 2013, 10:04:21 pm »

I had Firemen show up and attack but they never got a shot off.  I guess there very presence can burn shit down.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  First time the Firemen attack, the building is OK.  Every time subsequent, progressively more burn.  Problem happens when it starts burning the interior, because this stuff never goes away.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]