Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Combat mission: Battlefield Normandy  (Read 2360 times)

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Combat mission: Battlefield Normandy
« on: May 18, 2011, 05:14:52 am »

Ladies and gentleman, i give you

Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy (CM:BN) faithfully recreates the experience of tactical land warfare in Western France during World War Two. Using the unique Turn-Based (WeGo)/Real-Time hybrid game system of our proprietary CMx2 battle engine, the first installment in this new series covers the three months after the Allied D-Day landings in Normandy in June 1944, from Operation Overlord in June through the Cobra Breakout in August.

Some media:

More info:
Overview: http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=274&Itemid=457
Feature list: http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=278&Itemid=461

Try the demo first: http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=277&Itemid=477
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 04:14:18 pm by kulik »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Combat mission: Battlefield Normandy
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 07:17:30 am »

What makes this special and what was/is your role in the project?

Note: I haven't followed the feature links yet, I'm curious to hear the unique selling point from the source first, so to speak.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 07:44:50 am »

Note: I haven't followed the feature links yet, I'm curious to hear the unique selling point from the source first, so to speak.

Well, there's a great scenario editor atleast. Hopefully they've cleared up the horrible unit-selection screen from Shock Force.

Gotta say I pretty much hate the 'module' shit. They used to release these as full games with a shitton of units, nations, maps, missions, etc, now they come in crappy DLC. It's a great game nevertheless (and they're a small company so they need it, I guess), but I recommend the older games more, if you can tolerate the horrible, eye-raping graphics.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 09:02:56 am »

None, im just a fan of the series.

The selling point is probably that its the most realistic squad level wargaming experience of this kind.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 04:11:49 pm »

Im going to necro this to show you an awesome AAR mockumentary made in this game.
It has 15 parts an its full of war drama and has pretty good narrative: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOBQJPqSG4I&feature=BFa&list=SPE0B4E8D8FA8BA1E5&lf=list_related
The real action starts at part 4, so if you don't like war documentaries skip the first three, but i recommend to watch it from start to see the bigger picture of the battle.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 05:15:46 pm »

How does the module system work? I hate DLC and try not to support it, except for very special circumstances. And I usually buy games at a discount, which does not appear like it's going to happen with this one, which is another vote against DLC :(

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 05:46:57 pm »

Well Combat missions are more of a warfare simulation than a standard strategy game, thus the target market is very limited. The audience don't mind paying for such software since its so unique and they have personal interest to keep the makers running. 
I strongly suggest to play through the demo, you either end up blown away and wont hesitate to buy it or intimidated, frustrated and wont even think of paying for it.
The game will have three modules with mostly new units, nations, campaigns and scenarios but also other improvements. The first will be commonwealth and SS, second Market garden and third Bulge if i remember correctly. Then probably a new eastern front game.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 05:48:29 pm by kulik »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 07:09:18 pm »

The problem is not so much the interest. If I find a developer doing an ultra-realistic game, chances are I'll buy it eventually. It's just that I don't have a lot of money to spend on games (or in general), and since my playing time is limited as well, I find it hard to justify the expenses.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 01:01:45 am »

The problem is not so much the interest. If I find a developer doing an ultra-realistic game, chances are I'll buy it eventually. It's just that I don't have a lot of money to spend on games (or in general), and since my playing time is limited as well, I find it hard to justify the expenses.

They very rarely give a discount but as i remember its like 10%. Their previous game on this setting Combat mission: Shock force (Modern desert setting) was also a retail game, and if you're lucky you can find it for like 5$.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 08:00:39 am »

Thanks, Might look into it :)