Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: What's Below the HFS?  (Read 19534 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's Below the HFS?
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2018, 05:07:42 am »

I'm surprised that people don't know the answer to this, because I thought it was well know.  Below the HFS are turtles.  It's turtles all the way down, but if you look at this infinite stack as a whole, it's actually a Smalltalk implementation.
Some worlds post-mythgen will probably have turtles at the bottom! Imagine mining cosmic turtle shells to make heavy but extremely strong armor.
Imagine digging too far and causing a worldwide catastrophic earthquake as the turtle writhes in pain...

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2018, 05:41:33 am »

I'm surprised that people don't know the answer to this, because I thought it was well know.  Below the HFS are turtles.  It's turtles all the way down, but if you look at this infinite stack as a whole, it's actually a Smalltalk implementation.
Some worlds post-mythgen will probably have turtles at the bottom! Imagine mining cosmic turtle shells to make heavy but extremely strong armor.
Imagine digging too far and causing a worldwide catastrophic earthquake as the turtle writhes in pain...
Yeah, don't mine the mysterious "cosmic turtle flesh" below the shell. But if your fortress can survive the earthquake, you can have meat for millennia!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 05:43:22 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2018, 10:11:48 am »

but if you look at this infinite stack as a whole, it's actually a Smalltalk implementation.
...says your creation myth!

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2018, 08:59:46 pm »

Everybody knows, below the HFS is the anvil that Armok forged the world on.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2018, 10:45:42 am »

Under the HFS there is the finished version of DF, bug-free, with all the features and amazing GUI.

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2018, 07:30:46 pm »

Under the HFS there is the finished version of DF, bug-free, with all the features and amazing GUI.

Best answer
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2018, 11:10:23 pm »

Umm... It's obviously The Deep Nobles guys.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2018, 11:53:34 pm »

If you ask me, it's probably where all the surplus horses got stuffed. They obviously went somewhere.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2018, 12:14:12 am »

The idea that HFS is hell is a common misconception. It is but the guard house to the true hell: a place of eternal horror and violence, where the damned wage an eternal war against horrifying beasts and fell creatures from the depths. A place where even the most benign sounding wildlife will not hesitate to tear the damned to pieces, where the dead rise to haunt the living, where other tormented souls wage war over the most trivial slights.

It is indeed so horrific that Armok himself sealed it away beyond gates of pure adamantine, and assigned countless guards to keep it secure.

You see, dwarf fortress IS hell, and only by breaching the spires and leaping through the glowing pits can a dwarf achieve salvation.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2018, 04:10:56 pm »

That, is both incredibly insightful and pretty much exactly like a weird fever dream/idea for a story i had a long time ago.

Also, holy shit this thread is old.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2018, 03:49:43 am »

HFS is not hell.
Any place where player controlled dwarves live is Hell. So, all fortresses you control are.
HFS is merely a salvation, a way to escape Hell.

What comes after salvation ? Immortality !  ::)
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]