Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Damage from steam  (Read 2820 times)

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Damage from steam
« on: May 19, 2011, 03:49:33 am »

I was always curious why steam was so utterly neutered in the transition from 2D to 3D.

So, I'm wondering if steam is ever planned to have damage again?

Give us back that lovely scalding gas!
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Damage from steam
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 05:30:38 am »

Well I don't see anything in the dev notes so I would assume 'no'

And I disagree, steam should not cause damage. It is unrealistic, after a quick few google searches I have found no deaths because of steam (only steamrollers) If someone can prove me wrong go ahead.

Is DF a life sim? No, but it is trying to remain realistic, so I would have to disagree with steam doing damage.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 05:48:51 am by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 06:22:59 am »

Please boil some water (like for tea) and put your hand over the spout as it whistles.  Tell me if you get some damage from that.  (Don't actually do this!).  Older skyscrapers in new york have steam heating, if one of those pressurized steam pipes burst and the steam hit you, it would melt your skin right off.  Pressurized steam can transfer more heat than direct contact with most fires (which is actually hot air, and exhast gases, like CO2).

I don't have an opinion about steam's inclusion in the game though.

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 06:42:42 am »

would you prefer to get hit by warm water, or steam. trust me steam hurts( a lot) you can get serious burns from steam(tissue damage) so yes steam should do some external damage
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 07:01:49 am »

Steam tends to get into places where water won't, and it can be a lot hotter than water too. Steam at any temperature will dump a lot of heat into your skin and THEN still be water at 100 degrees Celsius.

The reason it hurts more than open fire is because water conducts heat really well, while air and the like are good at insulating.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 09:27:23 am »

I had an area of my hand scalded by a jet of steam once. It left about 3-5"^2 charred and blackened with brown around the edges. Hurt like hell. Was only maybe a second or less of contact, so it was mainly surface damage.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

kylefiredemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 10:48:09 am »

And I disagree, steam should not cause damage. It is unrealistic, after a quick few google searches I have found no deaths because of steam (only steamrollers) If someone can prove me wrong go ahead.

Is DF a life sim? No, but it is trying to remain realistic, so I would have to disagree with steam doing damage.

Even though, I've never heard of anyone dying from steam, I understand that it can be used as a torture device because it scalds.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 11:36:20 am »

I assumed steam in DF was akin to a sauna. It should give dwarves happy thoughts.

Also, you can't go and admire the towns magma channel without some protective gear, so I think dwarves are naturally heat resistant.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 03:02:12 pm »

Even though, I've never heard of anyone dying from steam, I understand that it can be used as a torture device because it scalds.

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-1988247/RUSSIA-DEATH-AS-A-RESULT.html

took about 30 seconds

getting killed by steam is a horrible way to die, its like getting hot oil thrown over you or something equally painful, steam also tends to condensate on your body if you are hit, basically covering you in a heat absorbing layer of boiling water

this is also why you should never run trough a fire covered in a wet blanket like in the movies, you will boil off your skin... better go with a dry one as insulation, and toss it when its on fire
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 03:06:50 pm by blizzerd »

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 10:01:13 pm »

I also remember reading about the nazis using steam in the old death camps of '39.

A quick google search as well brings up many cases of steam-related deaths and injury....

But still, real life aside, this is DF!

If I want to make some floor grates, a sealed room, magma/water cristern to trap and flash steam a goblin attack force I should be able too  :D

Plus theres all the lovely potental FUN of digging around water+magma.
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 04:38:56 am »

DF doesn't seem to make any distinction between water vapour and steam right now. Water vapour is much less dangerous.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 09:31:22 am »

lease boil some water (like for tea) and put your hand over the spout as it whistles.  Tell me if you get some damage from that.
http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-1988247/RUSSIA-DEATH-AS-A-RESULT.html

took about 30 seconds

Both of these are examples of pressurized steam. There is no way to pressurize steam inside the game, without pressure the steam disperses and will not cause any significant damage. Heck even contained steam such as a sauna would only make you sweat a little.

(Additionally I could not read the entire article as I had to pay for it so I am hesitant to believe it without hearing more. From the looks of it, they probably died because the tank EXPLODED and sent metal shards everywhere. Rather then the steam boiling them to death.)

this is also why you should never run trough a fire covered in a wet blanket like in the movies, you will boil off your skin... better go with a dry one as insulation, and toss it when its on fire

This is because the water is boiling not because of the steam.

Also, you can't go and admire the towns magma channel without some protective gear, so I think dwarves are naturally heat resistant.

Something like this is far more believeable. Magma can barely kill these guys at a decent rate. Steam should be little more then a fog for them.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:33:32 am by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 12:15:36 pm »

I was always curious why steam was so utterly neutered in the transition from 2D to 3D.

It was my understanding that this happened when temperature support was implemented in version 0.22.120.23b, not during the transition to 3D.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 03:17:05 pm »

The only problem with damaging steam is it really needs to be pressurized, and for that, we need to allow steam engines and what not, which means instant steam punk. So no. Not in vanilla DF at least.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 01:39:41 am »

You don't need steam engines for pressure, Toady could quite easily code up a crude pressure simulation. You could just do it similar to how water is done. So you have 1 atm of pressure as your standard, then when pressure goes up in one area, the pressure tries to dissipate.

You don't need pressure anyway, you could just have boiling water under a grate.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?
Pages: [1] 2