Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Damage from steam  (Read 2803 times)

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Damage from steam
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 03:42:06 pm »

Wouldn't introducing water to magma not only produce steam, but razor-sharp flying pieces of obsidian shrapnel as well? Or would that only work on water being introduced to superheated solid rock?

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 06:08:30 pm »

No.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 09:12:38 pm »

lease boil some water (like for tea) and put your hand over the spout as it whistles.  Tell me if you get some damage from that.
http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-1988247/RUSSIA-DEATH-AS-A-RESULT.html

took about 30 seconds

Both of these are examples of pressurized steam. There is no way to pressurize steam inside the game, without pressure the steam disperses and will not cause any significant damage. Heck even contained steam such as a sauna would only make you sweat a little.

(Additionally I could not read the entire article as I had to pay for it so I am hesitant to believe it without hearing more. From the looks of it, they probably died because the tank EXPLODED and sent metal shards everywhere. Rather then the steam boiling them to death.)

this is also why you should never run trough a fire covered in a wet blanket like in the movies, you will boil off your skin... better go with a dry one as insulation, and toss it when its on fire

This is because the water is boiling not because of the steam.

Also, you can't go and admire the towns magma channel without some protective gear, so I think dwarves are naturally heat resistant.

Something like this is far more believeable. Magma can barely kill these guys at a decent rate. Steam should be little more then a fog for them.

no need for it to be pressurised
Pages: 1 [2]