Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Baron Not Coming?  (Read 1826 times)

Onside Bump

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Baron Not Coming?
« on: May 19, 2011, 09:01:45 pm »

So I was looking at the Baron requirements on the wiki. My created wealth is around 600-700k, my exported around 15k, and my population in the 90's. But when the Dwarven liaison comes, I get no such Barony request. Is this a bug? Or am I doing something wrong. Playing on 0.31.25 Lazy Newb Pack.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Baron Not Coming?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 09:57:56 pm »

I got to choose my Baron, out of existing folks, in a discussion with the liason.  You might just need to wait a few more years.

Once chosen, he started making crazy mandates just like any other damn noble, and his labors couldn't be changed anymore, though he seemed to keep whatever ones he'd started with.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 10:31:24 pm »

and his labors couldn't be changed anymore
Wait, the game actually enforced his menial labor exemption for you?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

outofpractice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 10:49:22 pm »

I've never actually had a noble show up. But I've had my own dwarves become nobles etc. I've always been able to choose my baron from my population. So best bet is wait another year or so. Also to increasing the profit dwarven traders make off you might help, not sure about that though.

Just incase though its better to go through your list of dwarves and find one with reasonable likes / dislikes before hand. Saves random guessing and ending up with a Baron that wants creepy crawler leather items. Saves magma baths.

Jassam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 10:54:42 pm »

It's my understanding that it is a bug, but there is a workaround.

If you keep your mayor busy/locked in so the liason can't start the meeting until AFTER the merchants leave, you should get to choose your baron from your current dwarves. I did this long after I started my for and had 150+ dwarves and far more than enough wealth. After I did that the noble cycle continued normally, though I only got as far as a Count before some deadly dust culled the fort down to 80 or so dwarves, including my countess.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 11:05:28 pm »

No, he still did things.  But I couldn't change his labors anymore.  They were stuck at whatever I'd last left them at.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 11:43:13 pm »

I can toggle my Baron's labours FWIW.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 06:50:25 am »

It's my understanding that it is a bug, but there is a workaround.

If you keep your mayor busy/locked in so the liason can't start the meeting until AFTER the merchants leave, you should get to choose your baron from your current dwarves. I did this long after I started my for and had 150+ dwarves and far more than enough wealth. After I did that the noble cycle continued normally, though I only got as far as a Count before some deadly dust culled the fort down to 80 or so dwarves, including my countess.
This was fixed a few version ago, it will just happen normally now if your outpost liaision is happy with you.

I don't think nobles have arrived as immigrants since the .31..xx versions were released?  Ditto with my baron being able to continue working after being ennobled.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 07:32:32 am »

No, he still did things.  But I couldn't change his labors anymore.  They were stuck at whatever I'd last left them at.

My Baron's labors can still be set normally.  Was yours part of the military?  There might be some issue where military champions can't have their labors set anymore.

I've never had any problem getting the baron assignment screen in my fortresses lately.  It's not necessary to wait for the caravan to leave first anymore.  Immigrant nobles are broken, but you should be getting the screen offering to elevate one of your dwarves to Baron.  Maybe try exporting a lot more wealth to the next trade caravan?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 09:48:59 am »

Yeah, I'm playing 25 and have gotten the baron screen without doing anything unusual.  Surprises the heck out of me every time. 
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 10:26:33 am »

Did his labors screen actually say "The noble will not work", or were you just trying to change his labor assignments using Dwarf Therapist (which, at least in older versions, prevented you from assigning labors to nobles unless you turned on a special "cheat" option)?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.