Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 45

Author Topic: Ubenudil, Soaplanterns - Soapmaker's Guild Fort  (Read 54023 times)

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ubenudil, Soaplanterns - Soapmaker's Guild Fort
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 10:48:51 am »

"It is my reponsibility to inform you," the liaison said, "that the mountainhome is prepared to pay double price for battle axes next year."

"That's great!" I said enthusiastically. "Except we don't have anything to make axes with."

"Your man over there made one out of horse bone just a few days ago."

"I'm pretty sure that was a one-off. And I'm very sure that if I tried to sell it to you he'd gut me. Anyway, bowyer-Muthkat's cutting trees with it."

"Pity. Oh well. We're also looking for crowns, ammunition, leather waterskins and legwear of any kind."

"Not soap?"

"Not soap, Mr Madushkubuk."

These people had no class.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 01:17:00 pm »

we have a legendary bone carver.
that means,we can make bone gauntlets and such.
armor problem SOLVEED :3

not to mention bone bolts and crossbows.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 01:29:26 pm by magmaholic »
I am a Goober.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 02:04:56 pm »

[magmaholic: Need bones first. I've just taken steps to deal with that though :)]

28th Opal, midwinter

Ye gods, was that the time? It'd be spring before we blinked twice, at this rate.

Soaplanterns had four soldiers now.

They looked a little bit like soldiers, anyway. They had equipment, sort of. They were calling themselves the Crystalline Oceans, in honor of the apparently infinite number of aquifer levels we were solidly failing to pierce through. I dug them out a little room by the entrance ramp so they could train.

The aquifer operation continued, slowly. Several more pieces of sandstone had come up out of there, and been turned into mechanisms. The only thing I didn't like was that our soap stocks were so low. There were only ten bars left, and I'd given the best of it to the merchants. We had no domestic animals except the racing snail, and it seemed a terrible shame to butcher such a lovely creature.

"Ushrir," I said, "do you think you could kill something now, you four?"

"Like what?" she said, suspiciously.

"Like, one of those big gray things over there maybe? They look like they've got plenty of fat on."

"You want us four to kill an elephant."

"Yes."

"Four of us, in tatty leather armor, with copper weapons. Against an elephant."

"Is there a problem?"

She looked at me for a long cold moment. "If any of us survive this, Madushkubuk, I want someone to write to my mother in Tinmines and tell her I'm sorry, I made a horrible mistake." Then she turned on her heel and walked out.

After a little while, there was a distant scream of agony.

I shrugged and went back down to my office.

A very long time later, I came back up again to get a drink. There was a thing in the butcher's shop. Well, in the general area of the butcher's shop, I assumed. I couldn't actually see the workshop under the huge blood-soaked leathery pile.

"It's your elephant, Zephyr," Ushrir said. She looked very tired.

"That's an elephant? They--they looked smaller from a distance."

The macedwarf sighed.

At that moment, we were both roughly pushed aside by another dwarf--Cilob the bone carver, an old friend of mine from the Guild. She crossed the refuse pile with quick purposeful steps and went into the same craftsdwarf workshop that had been claimed by Endok earlier. I exchanged glances with Ushrir, and went forward to investigate. The bone carver sat quietly drawing: pictures of bones, and gems.

"Gems again," I said. "We've got a gem. That rock crystal I bought. It's just lying there. Why doesn't she take it?"

"It's already cut. She wants a rough one, I suppose," Ushrir said.

"Then... she's a dead dwarf, unless we can get through the rest of the aquifer and dig for it. Nobody trades rough gems." I closed my eyes. "They've taken a year to get through three layers so far..."

I'd liked Cilob.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 02:10:49 pm »

"Gems again," I said. "We've got a gem. That rock crystal I bought. It's just lying there. Why doesn't she take it?"
"It's already cut. She wants a rough one, I suppose," Ushrir said.

HURRY!
no.that is not fun.
I am a Goober.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 07:49:41 pm »

When my guy comes can I suggest something...

"Why didn't ya just Cork it up???
I mean how many layers are between the water and the surface? We could just dig a large area of the Aquifier out, dig the same around an area, attach it to this here flooring, make a pillar and put something heavy on it. Attach the Pillar to a lever so when we pull it we can knock it away letting the heavy thing connect with the floor there which drops the Plug, then ya can mine into the Aquifier level through this new dirt as long as ya don't go near its watery walls, then do it all again just smaller for the next level???"
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 01:33:54 am »

I didn't do the cavein method personally because I wanted to try out QuantumMenace's method (also soapmakers don't know how to do that sort of thing :)). The aquifer looks to be nine or ten levels deep so far. I'm impressed at how well it's working, but yeah, it's slow...

Just had the first big spring wave. No swordsdwarves yet I'm afraid, but there's a proficient macedwarf (f) and proficient speardwarf (f) if either of those interest you. Or I could see about training up a swordsdwarf. He'll have to have a wooden sword for now though!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 02:05:52 am »

What else ya got???
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 02:52:07 am »

Three with various unarmed combat skills

Expert mason (m) (competent armor user/fighter/dodger, adequate biter, novice kicker)
High master leatherworker (f) (adept armor/fighter/kicker/dodger, adequate military tactics)
Wax worker (m) (competent fighter/observer/armor/dodger/wrestler)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 03:03:26 am »

Three with various unarmed combat skills

Expert mason (m) (competent armor user/fighter/dodger, adequate biter, novice kicker)
High master leatherworker (f) (adept armor/fighter/kicker/dodger, adequate military tactics)
Wax worker (m) (competent fighter/observer/armor/dodger/wrestler)
I'll take the Mason then.
He can get to work on making sure of the Stone Walls after they break through. He is a Defense expert...

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 03:12:06 am »

You got it

I'll make sure he gets his chance to shine :) I definitely want to replace our wooden walls with stone when we can anyway. Think of all that potential lye tied up in our architecture!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 03:20:05 am »

Indeed, also, His laughter in a distinct way. He sounds like a Demonic creature when he laughs, real evil sounding. But he ain't evil...

In truth he is everything like me but skinny... Bastardo...
I have some nice designs for bedrooms too if ya want to see them...

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 03:35:21 am »

25th Granite, Spring 202

Medtob did everything he could to speed up the piercing of the aquifer, even trying a new draining method, but there was no way we were going to make it in time. Even if we had managed to pierce it, the chance of finding a gem cluster wasn't great.

I'd previously had a good strong door put on the workshop and locked tight. Somehow I'd known this would happen.

I went down to my office so I wouldn't have to watch them put her down like a mad dog.

Which, of course, didn't stop her dodging straight past the soldiers and running screaming through the whole fort before being cornered right above my stair by Ushrir and Bembul. Her blood spilled down into my office and all over my only table.

Afterwards, it seemed as if I was the only one who even cared that Cilob was dead. Ushrir just complimented me on the quality of my soap as she walked cheerfully by.

The-- what?

--MY SOAP! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

Spring 202, date unknown

It wasn't right for a dwarf to rest in a wooden casket, but that was what Cilob had to have; we couldn't spare the stone for a proper coffin. Maybe later she could be put to rest more appropriately.

Most of the wood being cut was going towards the aquifer project, but I put in an order anyway for more lye. There was tallow lying around unsoaped, and it bothered me.

The liaison's promised horde of migrants turned up promptly on the 27th Slate. What with Cilob and the aquifer to deal with over the winter, I hadn't even given thought to housing more dwarves. There were twenty of them including two children, more than doubling our population. Not one dwarf was a soapmaker. What were they THINKING back at the mountainhomes?

I scribbled out some hasty plans for more temporary bedrooms.

That decided, I came upstairs and found Ezum the weaver shouting at a confused group of four.

"You can't bring that here! You can't! It'll kill the phantom spiders!"

"What's the matter?" I said. Then I noticed the two small children, and the animal that was following behind them.

Goliath Tarantula

"Look, it's already got a lizard! I know what they're like! They just kill and kill and they never stop! We have to get rid of it!"

"You're not slaughtering my son's pet," the father, a burly tanner said angrily.

"All right," I said, "everyone calm down. Ezum, if the tarantula is confined to the underground, will that satisfy you? The phantom spiders only make webs on the surface."

"Yes, I suppose," she said after a long moment. "But how are you going to do that?"

"Tell everyone to keep the tarantula in the food stockpile and dining area. With any luck it'll content itself chasing lizards in there." Privately I wasn't convinced it would work, but I wasn't about to order a child's pet killed in front of him. I resolved that if Ezum noticed the phantom spider population dropping, we would take more drastic measures.

As I'd suspected would be the case, the young spiders were not terribly pleased at being confined to one area of the fort. Every few minutes a dwarf would have to stop whatever he or she was doing to go and catch one of them as it tried to skitter past, intent on investigating the much more interesting surface world. At least their presence at Soaplanterns would put an end to the horrible things that kept gnawing at our barrels.

14th Felsite

I was digging out bedrooms when I heard the commotion. An elven trade caravan had been sighted making their way towards us through the jungle. I hurriedly laid down the pick and did my best to brush the dirt and mud off myself. It was probably futile by this point.

There were just two of them, and both were thin and weary-looking. They looked shocked as they led their horses down the ramp to our trade depot. "What are you people doing here?"

"We live here," I said, determined to defend our little corner now we had it.

"Live here! Are you mad? Don't you KNOW about the Lonely Jungle?"

"What do you mean?"

The elf shuddered and cringed, her eyes jittering wildly from side to side. "The land is cursed! It's an evil, terrifying place! Nobody in their right minds would settle here!"

"We wouldn't have ever ventured in here," the other elf said, "except our caravan was attacked by goblins and we had to flee into the Lonely Jungle. We're the only ones left..."

A lot of things suddenly made a lot more sense. I'd kill Cog Risenbasen if I ever saw him again.

The elves were willing to trade, eager to do anything that would lighten their load and give them more chance to escape the Lonely Jungle. Unfortunately, I hadn't had time to make more soap. We'd have to rely on Ezum's silk again as it was the only trade good Soaplanterns could spare.

"What on earth is that?"

"Would you like to buy her?" one of the elves said hopefully. She went into a spiel describing the virtues of the creatures, how ferocious they could be if trained for defense, how loyal to their trainers. Regrefully, I declined. The price the elf named we could never have met, not with all our trade goods put together. I supposed we could seize it, the two of them didn't look like they could put up much of a fight against all of us, but then again we'd have to feed the panda, and such a huge animal would doubtless eat huge amounts of food. No, let it continue to be their problem.

They had two small bags of sunberries. I'd only had Sunshine once before in my life. I didn't hesitate about buying the berries, even though they were three times the price of all the other plants. They would be worth it. The elves threw in six chunks of clay, I suspected more to reduce the weight than as any sort of generous gesture. I took them up on it anyway; someone would surely know of something we could do with them.

Now then, there was something else I had to deal with. Something much more important.

"...and that's how it's done." She was going to make a good soaper, I could already tell.

...Hey, these elephant things made really lovely soap! I'd have to get Ushrir to kill another one...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 04:27:14 am »

Heh! Forget ivory, these guys kill elephants for their FAT! :P
I like this fort. Could we maybe get some sort of map of the place?
I liked the shocking moment where SOAP was used for WASHING! *shudder* And... What is goblin punch? 
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 04:43:08 am »

Goblin punch is brewed from a deep plant known as a devil cap. We won't encounter it unless we find them growing wild in our caverns.

Images of the fort (large)

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 04:52:27 am »

5th Hematite, Summer

"...Oh, no."

We peered through the door of the craftsdwarf workshop. The little boy was drawing, just as Cilob had done. Drawing pictures of skeletons, stacked clock, a quarry. Bones, cloth and... stone?

"We can do this," I said. "We actually can! Kill the stray yak calf and that cow, we can't feed them anyway. That should start him off."

The child grabbed the bones as soon as the animals had been slaughtered. He went back to the workshop and sat down quietly, waiting for us to guess what else he needed, waiting for us to solve his riddle. A crowd of dwarves gathered.

"Cloth," Ezum the weaver said. "Why doesn't he take some silk?"

"Perhaps he wants plant cloth..." someone else said.

I thought about that for a moment. "Ezum, take another piece of silk and see if the elves will exchange it for some of their rope reed stuff."

She did. They would. The child wasn't interested.

"Silk, plant cloth... what else could he possibly want?" Damn it, I didn't want to lose another dwarf this way! This was so stupid!

"There's yarn," said one of the farmers. "What about wool?"

"Wool? We haven't got any wool."

"We've got a sheep and a llama..."

"Does anyone in this fortress," I said, "know how to shear a llama?"

Nervously and proudly, a dwarf stood up. "Zulban Morulmunest, Soapmaster. I'm a shearer."

"Right. What do you need?"

"Just somewhere I can tie the animal, Soapmaster. Farmer's workshop would be ideal."

"Build one in the corridor," I said.

The llama was shorn, the thread was spun. The cloth was offered. Immediately the child rushed out of his workshop and grabbed it. He went straight back out again and took a piece of sandstone.

"He's doing it," someone said in a hushed voice.

"He made a what?"

"A sword, Zephyr."

"Well, that's--that's great!"

"Yeah, but... the elves. They took one look at it and took off out of here like all the demons of the Underworld were chasing them..."

I couldn't believe it. A sword made of bone. Another weapon, when we were in such desperate need of them. For the second time, we'd got exactly what we needed, when we needed it, as if it were a gift from the gods who smiled on us. And yet...

The name the little boy had given it: the Satin of Sorcery. The image he'd put on it: another of those vile goat-things. A foul blendec carved in bone, laboring tirelessly at some unnameable task. What dark sorcerous secret did those goat-things guard?

Was there something here in the Lonely Jungle that we didn't know about?

Something... beneath?

Despite the humid summer heat, a chill crept down my spine.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 45