Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 45

Author Topic: Ubenudil, Soaplanterns - Soapmaker's Guild Fort  (Read 54048 times)

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ubenudil, Soaplanterns - Soapmaker's Guild Fort
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2011, 02:00:19 pm »

Yeah, that's one of the first things on my to-do list. Been putting everything into piercing this aquifer though.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2011, 02:13:27 pm »

by the way,silver works better for the blunt weapons,due to increased mass.
artifact gold/platinum is even better.

I am a Goober.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2011, 02:14:07 pm »

can i get an spearsdorf named Ahra? male preferably.
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2011, 02:41:52 pm »

[You sure can, Ahra :) It'll have to be a new recruit, the one proficient speardwarf is a female. I'll take a look at the fortress pop in a sec.]

"All I ever wanted to do was make... soap. And now look at me. Stuck in a... cursed... jungle. Curséd, even. With an accent. That's even worse than the regular kind." I let my head drop on the table with a heavy thud.

"Are you drunk?" Dr Kosotham asked suspiciously.

"No, I'm sober! And it sucks!"

"Why don't you go and make some soap to cheer yourself up?"

"Are you making fun of me?"

"Not at all. I like your soap. This is the cleanest fort I've ever been in. Why, even Endok scrubbed up beautifully."

I drew a long breath. "The soap is not for mundane use!"

"Oh, relax. It's saving lives. Have you ever seen a dwarf die of infection? I have. It's not fun."

"Losing is fun," I mumbled. It was an old saying. Like most old sayings, it made no sense.

"Excuse me?" It was Medtob. "Soapmaster, there's something you need to see."

"It's... dry," I said. "We're through it? We're THROUGH!"

We were eleven levels underground, and the sandstone had given way to phyllite. And the phyllite was dry.

I picked up the rhodolite. This bit of shabby purple rock could have saved Cilob's life if we'd had it a year ago. At least no more dwarves would die for lack of rough gems.

"So what's next, Soapmaster?" Dr Kosotham asked.

"I think we need to redesign. Rebuild. Renovate..."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2011, 02:51:34 pm »

So yeah. The aquifer was pretty much my reason for starting this thing off. I have been terrified of aquifers to the point of modding them out ever since 40d which is coincidentally when I started playing DF. But when I saw QuantumMenace's method, I decided to find the biggest aquifer I could and just go for the bottom. Here it is, it's bloody brilliant. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79224.15 Use it, love it.

HOWEVER! I think we should press on. Dwarves of Ubenudil (all three/four of you), we now have unlimited stone. What shall we do with it? Obviously fortifying the palisade is a top priority.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 03:00:56 pm by zephyr_hound »

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2011, 02:59:42 pm »

As we have a large supply of stone now,we should BUILD THE FRIKKEN FORTIFICATIONS.
And the tower. Oh yes,the tower will rise at the place,where our entrance is,to get rid of stone.
Also,stone floors and walls on the first floors.

The liaison asked for anvils this year. Haha NO.
Why not?
Goblinite is cheap.
Not to mention magmapower beneath.
NO.
The quake that shook the ground as soon we stopped,was the first warning,from Ber.
11 levels of water was a PROTECTION FROM HORRORS BENEATH.
FOUL BLENDEC BLOOD was the LAST WARNING.
:v

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 03:05:13 pm by magmaholic »
I am a Goober.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2011, 04:10:43 pm »

Ber's Breasts these dwarves are awesome! I definitely think we should keep going! :D
Good job on the aquifer. I've never pierced one myself, either... Nor have I got marksdwarves to work very well! :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:25:02 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2011, 04:22:59 pm »

Ber's Balls these dwarves are awesome!

Ber is female.
I am a Goober.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2011, 04:25:32 pm »

Ohright. Fixed.  ::)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2011, 06:48:48 pm »

Right, time for your defense expert to get to work huh...

3 tile thick walls, 2 tiles tall, second level is two wide with the third Fortifications.
Gatehouse is this. 3 thick walls, square around 7x7 empty space, Bridge 1 outside Bridge 2 Inside. Spike traps or such line the floor. Second layer of walling has fortifications on both sides with a single tile walkway between it, this will allow for shooting into the Gatehouse section.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2011, 04:28:10 am »

13th Opal

I met with another dwarf who was interested in helping out with the military: Ahra Glazesoldier.

He had some unarmed combat experience, and was interested in learning to use a spear. We had a spare now, since I'd bought another from the dwarven caravan, and I told him he was free to take it and join the soldiers in their little training barracks. Logem the dyer could teach him.

"Soapmaster Madushkubuk." It was Nevyn. "I hear we're through the aquifer at last. I want to talk to you about defenses."

"Go ahead," I said.

He outlined his plan: tear down the old palisade and rebuild everything in stone, two levels tall. Fortifications for the marksdwarves to shoot from and a gate house we could defend. I liked the sound of it.

"And the best part," he said, "is that once the goblins are inside, and we close the gates, they'll never escape! We can shoot or spike them to death at our leisure! Aahahaha. Hahahaha! HAHAHAHHAHAHHAA--what?"

"Nothing. I'm just trying to decide whether I should be terrified of you or not."

Nevyn looked confused.

"Never mind," I said. "I'm putting you in charge of building the defenses. Take any ten dwarves who don't look like they're busy."

"I won't let you down!" he said happily.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2011, 04:36:29 am »

Indeed, also, His laughter in a distinct way. He sounds like a Demonic creature when he laughs, real evil sounding. But he ain't evil...
Remember me posting this... Zephyr should be terrified of me when I laugh...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2011, 05:12:22 am »

yup, you have a scary laugh :(

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2011, 06:03:30 am »

"I want a--a great hall," I said. "Something to put the mountainhomes to shame. And I want it to be smoothed and engraved, all of it. Nice statues to look at. Beautiful stone furniture. The works." I was fed up of splintery wood.

"Why, Mr Madushkubuk," Ushrir said, "you're turning into a veritable despot."

"I only know what one of those two words means, but I'm sure you shouldn't sound so approving when you say it. Do you think we could have waterfalls from the aquifer, in the great hall?"

"Only if we had somewhere to put the water. Sounds like a flawless way to flood the place otherwise."

"Maybe Medtob will be able to think of something..." I said.

There was a festive air in Soaplanterns. We'd beaten the goblins twice in one year. How could we not be safe? Dwarves streamed out of doors to cut trees and collect useful equipment from the bodies of the dead bowmen. I started to think about marking out space for a sunberry plot. Gods knew we'd all had enough of plump helmet wine lately.

I made my own little revisions to Nevyn's plan, adding a tower to the list of things to do at some later point. I wanted a guild house, something grand that could be seen from miles away. Something that said: we are soapmakers. Fear us.

Goodbye the old wooden palisade. It had served us well...

Obsidian, date various

A happy event - Urdim the cheesemaker gave birth to a boy! Soaplanterns had its first native son!

Those two were a strange pair. We called them Urdim and Urdim. I hadn't been sure until now which was the husband and which was the wife. I made a mental note: the cheesemaker's the one with the baby. At least they hadn't named him Urdim.

On the 20th Obsidian, we had our second birth: Vabok the farmer gave birth to a little girl.

It was nice to see that such things were possible even in the Lonely Jungle. The blood in the aquifer had unsettled me more than I realized. But--our children were normal, and the wild animals were normal too. As for the foul blendecs, that attack was a long time ago now, and we'd never seen any more of them since. That story of the curse on the land had to be a fabrication.

Everything was just wonderful until the bowmen appeared in the middle of the construction site.

Muthkat-the-bowyer was the one who spotted them, by being shot in the leg. She stumbled away shouting for help. Every civilian dwarf panicked and raced for the underground ramp, as Ushrir and the Crystalline Oceans forced their way up against the tide. The marksdwarves held back and supported them with a hail of crossbow bolts. A second ambush squad of hammermen and lashers sprang from ambush as Ushrir charged the bowmen. It should have been a total disaster, but... it worked beautifully.

Aside from Muthkat, who had a minor flesh wound to her left upper leg, and new recruit Ahra who'd cut his left arm (again, minor), there were no dwarven casualties.

"Anyone want a hammer?" Ushrir said breathlessly as she came back into the little dirt dining room, where all of the non-combatant dwarves had gathered. "It's quite a nice one. There's another one out there as well. Would've gotten us a few more, but those boys can run fast when they want to. We've got loads more ammo now though."

Two ambushes. That was probably the lot for the time being. "Let's get back outside and get those walls up," I said, getting to my feet. "Quick as we can now. I want every able-bodied dwarf to be either hauling stone or making blocks."

Nevyn had scored his first kill, the first of the new recruits to do so. He looked pleased with himself as he came back down the ramp, the Satin of Sorcery at his side.

It was the 25th Obsidian, and nearly the end of our second year in the Lonely Jungle.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2011, 06:06:26 am »

I heard you mention you want a Waterfall, what about a Fountain? I can draw ya up a design for that, but I needs more HEIGHT to the Hall for that to come to fruition...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 45