Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 45

Author Topic: Ubenudil, Soaplanterns - Soapmaker's Guild Fort  (Read 54061 times)

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ubenudil, Soaplanterns - Soapmaker's Guild Fort
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2011, 06:32:27 am »

I was planning to channel out the center so there'd be a two-level hall with a gallery running round the edge. How many levels would be needed for your fountain design?
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2011, 06:35:49 am »

Just need to rebuild it, haven't done it in a long time. Give me a bit...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2011, 06:48:31 am »

Special update for the 12th Granite: Yem's a mom!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2011, 07:18:12 am »

Ok think I have it, shouldn't lead to any flooding, Except for the filling part. Never done it from an Aquifer.

Do you have MSN it will be easier to explain over that...
PM me...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2011, 07:34:49 am »

Oh great. The first two babies are strapped with muscle, tough and slow to tire, and poor Yem gets a fat, flimsy weak-willed little brat with a love of black demons. :/ Future mayor material, if the Soapers guild lasts that long! :D

I love how this fort is becoming almost like... A team effort, with Neyvn offering advice through his character! :) I wish I had some sage advice to offer, but sadly, other than "Go for your life, build the greatest monument to soap-making the land has ever known", I'm a little short on that! :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2011, 07:41:59 am »

Oh great. The first two babies are strapped with muscle, tough and slow to tire, and poor Yem gets a fat, flimsy weak-willed little brat with a love of black demons. :/

ITS A WARNING!
THE CORRUPTION!
ALL BABIES BE BORN BASTARDS,IF WE DONT GET AWAY FROM THE DEEPS!

By the way,have we buried the dead dwarves propely?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:51:07 am by magmaholic »
I am a Goober.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2011, 08:10:01 am »

"Why, Mr Madushkubuk," Ushrir said, "you're turning into a veritable despot."

"I only know what one of those two words means, but I'm sure you shouldn't sound so approving when you say it."

This made me lol.  I'm enjoying the read. 
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2011, 08:16:48 am »

[We've buried them temporarily in horrible little wooden caskets in the dirt layer. I will be interested in suggestions for some sort of properly respectful mausoleum/catacombs project.]

"ZEPHYR!"

The door to my office slammed open, and Endok blew in like an enraged badger. I fell off the chair.

"Oh, get up and stop being such a fool," he snapped. "Look at this! I was going through the stuff those goblins had on them, looking to see if there were any more bolts we could use. Look at what I bloody found." His knuckles were white as he clutched a small object in his fist; he slammed it down on the table and let the object roll over to me.

"Oh gods. Please tell me that isn't what I think it is."

"It is what you think it is," Endok said grimly. "I know bones."

"...Those bastards."

We were both silent for a moment, thinking about this grisly discovery.

"What do you want me to do with it?" Endok said at last.

"Just... bury it. We can't do any more than that, and the gods know the poor guy this came from doesn't need it any more." I was saddened. A thought came to me. Maybe we should build something else later on when we had time, a memorial to the unnamed...

23rd Granite

We were very nearly done with the boundary wall, when there was a scream. A goblin snatcher sprang from hiding and stabbed a farmer, Catten Zasitdetes, breaking her foot and ankle. She fell over, and the goblin ran. It all happened so quickly that by the time the Crystalline Oceans got aboveground, the goblin was nowhere to be seen.

Dr Kosotham would have his work cut out with this one. Catten's foot was really messed up. I wasn't sure if she would walk again without some sort of support.

I sent the Crystalline Oceans out to stand guard while the last part of the wall was designated. May Kosoth grant that there wasn't an ambush headed our way...

Another snatcher took a swipe at a carpenter, Kol Kilrudkel, very shortly after, but she got away uninjured.

4th Slate

Take that, goblins! Soaplanterns now finally had a good solid perimeter wall of block phyllite. Yup, nothing was going to get in or--

Oh no... Vabok why did you leave your baby unattended? :(

I did a quick head count of the other five children, all were where they should be.

"Zephyr! Migrants!"

Great. "How many?"

"Uh... lots?"

"Eighty? We're up to eighty dwarves?"

"Oh my gods are you serious? Why now? Is she stuck? What does she want?"

"Bones, I think, Soapmaster."

Another bone carver...

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2011, 08:30:46 am »

:v
at this pace,we should start getting megabeasts soon.
And,and things should start moving faster now,due to population,i think.

we should also add a bridge.Even if it means destroying rooms underground.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 08:34:23 am by magmaholic »
I am a Goober.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2011, 09:03:37 am »

yeah I think it's time I drafted more marksdwarves. Like, a lot more marksdwarves :(

And we do have a bridge, it was just flashing "construction" when I took the pic. It's built now and I just need to hook it up to a lever (in the half dug hall), then we can close ourselves up like dirty cowardly elves should the need arise.

I think I'm gonna make an aboveground farm plot. Anyone for Sunshine?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2011, 09:06:40 am »

Should have bought those Pandas, All that bamboo up there just begging for the beasts to eats them...

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2011, 12:22:52 pm »

sunshine..... im on but who dont want some good olī dwarven ale?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 12:26:09 pm by Ahra »
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2011, 01:22:13 pm »

Another snatcher appeared as the last of the migrants made his way through the new entrance, but unfortunately Ushrir was the one who spotted him.

This went about as well as could have been expected for the goblin. Ushrir was specializing in headshots nowadays.

We had to kill most of our spare animals for Bomrek's mood; she wanted three separate sets of bone. She also took a silver bar. I hoped it would be worth it; we could have used that precious silver for a warhammer. On the plus side, that meant we had a lot more tallow.

Oh!

...oh...

...oh gods...

What was going on here?

My little office was too small to contain all of us comfortably, but until the new deep fort was a bit further along, there was nowhere else for us to go that had any sort of privacy. Endok, Ushrir, Nevyn, Dr Kosotham and myself all squeezed in somehow.

"The first bone artifact we got was Clobberedsly," I said. "Very simply, an axe made of horse bone. Nice and straightforward, nothing unusual about it."

"Right," Endok said defensively. "Just an axe."

"Next, Nevyn's sword. Ceilingbastion, the Satin of Sorcery."

"A bastion is an architectural term," Ushrir said. "It's a... a sort of..."

"A structure projecting outward from the main enclosure of a fortification, situated in both corners of a straight wall (termed curtain), facilitating active defence against assaulting troops."

"...One of those. Thank you, Nevyn."

"So to sum up, it's protective," I said. "It's a defensive thing."

"Ceiling... bastion." She looked thoughtful.

I went on. "And then we had the earring: Relievedplait the Contingencies of Reticence. I had to look most of those words up and I'm still not sure I understand what exactly it's supposed to mean. But a contigency plan is something you set up for a situation in which something might go wrong. And reticence is unwillingness to speak out."

"Have we got the earring here to look at?" Ushrir said.

"No, it's still in the craftsdwarf workshop upstairs. But I can remind you what it looks like: there's an image of Clobberedsly on it, and Kovest, laughing." That image was burned into my mind by now. The look on the goddess's face... I sighed heavily. "And now, this. Another bone artifact."

"Splashedtest," Dr Kosotham said. His eyes widened. "Splashedtest! Ceilingbastion! Dear gods it all makes sense!"

"No it doesn't," Ushrir said. "Could you share with us mere mortals?"

"The aquifer!" the doctor said wildly. "Ceilingbastion! The ceiling's a protection! And then..."

"We broke through the protection." I shuddered. "That's what the armor stand is saying. We've passed the test."

"But what test?" Ushrir asked.

"I don't know, but the two of them have one thing in common. Something we can all see." Foul blendecs. An image of a blendec laboring on the Satin of Sorcery, and then an image of a blendec--together with a goblin--on Splashedtest. "The blendecs know something about this place," I said. "I think we have to try to capture one. Alive."

"That could be difficult," Nevyn said. "I mean, you've only ever seen those three since we've been here, right?"

"I'm afraid so."

"Well," Ushrir said, "there's nothing we can do unless we spot some more of them." She got up and set her foot on the upward stair, then glanced back. "In the meantime, I suggest we keep an eye out for any more dwarves who get god-touched, and look very carefully at whatever they make. Especially the bone carvers..."

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2011, 01:29:07 pm »

this is so f***ing awesone :D
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2011, 01:56:28 pm »

bye bye,itchy-fingered freak.
I think those grinch-like perverts steal babies to make bone items.

"Ceiling... bastion." She looked thoughtful.

:p
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 02:03:44 pm by magmaholic »
I am a Goober.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 45