Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23

Author Topic: Black Powder Firearms  (Read 103806 times)

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: Black Powder Firearms
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 04:28:32 pm »

I'm about to gen a world with firearms, what skill affects gun usage?
Marksdwarf for the ranged attack, and weapons with bayonets use the speardwarf skill whilst the rest use MISCWEAPON.

And I did add a lot of comments to the raws answering most of these questions, you know.

::embarrassed face::

In any case giving the goblins, humans, and white tigermen (from the fortress defense mod) guns doesn't seem to have broken worldgen

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 06:07:49 pm »

It's okay. I shouldn't have assumed that everyone has my habit of skimming the text of a mod before genning a world with it.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 06:16:44 pm »

It's okay. I shouldn't have assumed that everyone has my habit of skimming the text of a mod before genning a world with it.

It's damn hard to find a site with saltpeter, embarking on a site now with imported saltpeter.

Is the file on dffd outdated?
changelog says you changed bullets to edge, raw files say they're still blunt.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 08:38:22 pm »

Oh, bugger. Yes, it probably is; I had to restore a lot of stuff from a backup a few weeks ago and might not have updated everything properly. I'll sort it out as soon as I get a chance.

And you're just going to have to live with importing nearly all your gunpowder until I get around to the potash-to-saltpeter reaction, I'm afraid. I did intend it to be fairly difficult to make.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 08:56:37 pm »

I just edited all the blunts to edge in the region and main raws, that'll probably fix that for me.

I also forgot to add the permitted reaction bit to entity_default =x
So I just added that now to the region/main raws too.
I'm assuming it works fine since it lets me build the workbench/mint etc now :P

I like how the workshop sizes are reasonable.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 08:59:16 pm by Acperience »

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 09:26:16 pm »

Im dying to play this, but it'll have to wait for a new world gen unless I can mod it into a save :P

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 09:51:44 pm »

Im dying to play this, but it'll have to wait for a new world gen unless I can mod it into a save :P

You can mod it in if you place all the required files into your raw folder inside your region save folder.

However the presence of guns won't have affected your worldgen.

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 10:04:13 pm »

You can mod it in if you place all the required files into your raw folder inside your region save folder.

However the presence of guns won't have affected your worldgen.

I gave up and gave in. I genned a new world  :P

I'm playing with the Genesis mod, so opted to give humans and dwarves full access to guns, steel for dwarves only. Other races got varying types of weapons. The smarter and more industrious received access to the weapons, whereas the dumber and less industrious civilizations and elves received only spring guns.

Also, maybe consider making cannons or siege guns for defense :)

Consider a workshop for dwarves to create urine. The required way to create it is with water or a drink. Make the reaction take forever, to simulate 'aging' perhaps.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 10:18:12 pm by omglazers »

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 06:18:59 am »

Cannons are on the list for after siege engines are overhauled, and I'd rather cut out the middleman and make it out of ash and sewer brew; the stuff probably tastes like piss anyway. ;)

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 03:32:05 pm »

Cannons are on the list for after siege engines are overhauled, and I'd rather cut out the middleman and make it out of ash and sewer brew; the stuff probably tastes like piss anyway. ;)

Imagine a dwarf who's job is dedicated urination.

I'm having a hell of a time getting the gun industry set up, no magma safe blocks to build with :/
Will post results as soon as I can actually MAKE a damn gun.

btw, can you assign bullets like bolts and do they need quivers?

Michael_Almeida

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:general idiocy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 06:28:38 pm »

I know that my mod was far from perfect to begin with, (huge understatement, I know) specially considering how I still don't know the best way to work with the current damage system. If I may be so bold, I do have some suggestions:

-Originally I was going to have the musket-making reaction use more bars, logs and mechanisms, but produce more weapons to account for the use of flint. I think it was making around 4 of them at once.

-A better work-around would be to create an item (perhaps a tool?) to replace the boulder of flint in the weapon-making reaction, which then can be made in large quantities from a single boulder of flint. Like the gunstones are made, perhaps?

Also if I may, while SHOOT_FORCE does affect damage (as far as I know), SHOOT_MAXVEL affects the actual speed of the projectile, however due to how reloading works (again, I'm not 100% sure of this) anyone firing the weapon cannot start reloading until their projectile hits something, so it does affect reload speed a bit, but for the most part that's really dependant on your dwarf's marksman/misc.weapon skill or even their agility level.

COMPETENT MODDER
ADEQUATE DRAWER
LEGENDARY PROCRASTINATOR
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2011, 06:44:16 pm »

I know that my mod was far from perfect to begin with, (huge understatement, I know) specially considering how I still don't know the best way to work with the current damage system. If I may be so bold, I do have some suggestions:

-Originally I was going to have the musket-making reaction use more bars, logs and mechanisms, but produce more weapons to account for the use of flint. I think it was making around 4 of them at once.

-A better work-around would be to create an item (perhaps a tool?) to replace the boulder of flint in the weapon-making reaction, which then can be made in large quantities from a single boulder of flint. Like the gunstones are made, perhaps?

Also if I may, while SHOOT_FORCE does affect damage (as far as I know), SHOOT_MAXVEL affects the actual speed of the projectile, however due to how reloading works (again, I'm not 100% sure of this) anyone firing the weapon cannot start reloading until their projectile hits something, so it does affect reload speed a bit, but for the most part that's really dependant on your dwarf's marksman/misc.weapon skill or even their agility level.

Add to your sig, The Titanic is made of people.

Also afaik firing speed does depend on both skill and individual speed (which come partly from agility).
and wasn't flint only in 40d and earlier?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 06:46:40 pm by Acperience »

Michael_Almeida

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:general idiocy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 10:24:58 am »

<DISREGARD THAT I SUCK PLUMP HELMETS>
(...)and wasn't flint only in 40d and earlier?

...Oh right he didn't use that part of my mod, did he?
Nevermind.
COMPETENT MODDER
ADEQUATE DRAWER
LEGENDARY PROCRASTINATOR
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 02:01:48 pm »

Ok I just started setting up my gun industry.

Apparently Workbenches can be made out of 2 of anything...
So I now have a pig-tail fiber right glove and sheep wool workbench.

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 02:10:02 pm »

I think tonight I will cheat to speed up gun production and try and test out all the gun functions. I'd really like to try and help this mod get somewhere, because to be frank I like dwarves who are more industrious and steampunk-ish than high fantasy. So I'd love to see a mod that takes dwarves in an industrial direction.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23