Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23

Author Topic: Black Powder Firearms  (Read 103762 times)

Featheredragon

• Bay Watcher
  • If someone says they are sane, then they're crazy.
    • View Profile
Re: Black Powder Firearms
« Reply #270 on: September 19, 2014, 04:22:03 pm »

Just going to leave this here. Tell me if any thing seems off; compiled this from memory at home when bored. (no internet.)

Code: [Select]
item_weapon_firearms_TEST

[OBJECT:ITEM]

-Basic Firearms---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-First hand held firearm-

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_ARQUEBUS]
[NAME:arquebus:arquebuses]

-Basic smoothbore firearm. Comes in matchlock, wheelock, flintlock, and percussion. Some experimential actions also-

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_MUSKET]
[NAME:musket:muskets]

-Musket with an intergrated or removable spike, blade or knife.-

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_MUSKET_BAY]
[NAME:musket:muskets][ADJECTIVE:bayonetted]

-Smooth bore musket of a very high calibre, meant to spread a larg amount of projectiles over a wide area. Muzzle is       usally flared for easy loading.-

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BLUNDERBUSS]
[NAME:blunderbuss:blunderbusses]

-Blunderbuss with an intergrated or removable spike, blade or knife; often springloaded.-

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BLUNDERBUSS_BAY]
[NAME:blunderbuss:blunderbusses][ADJECTIVE:bayonetted]

-Basic short smoothbore firearm. Comes in matchlock, wheelock, flintlock, and percussion. Some experimential actions      also. Meant to be used in one hand.-

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PISTOL]
[NAME:pistol:pistols]

-Pistol with an intergrated or removable spike, blade or knife; often springloaded-

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PISTOL_BAY]
[NAME:pistol:pistols][ADJECTIVE:bayonetted]

-Complex/Reapeating Firearms---------------------------------------------------------------------

-A firearm with twin barrels usually one over the other. A switch on the side allows the second barrel to be fired.-

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_TAP_ACTION]
[NAME:tap action pistol:tap action pistols]
[NAME:tap action musket:tap action muskets]
[NAME:tap action carbine:tap action carbines]

-A musket with many barrels (up to 9) gouped together. All barrels are fired at once.-

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_VOLLEY_GUN]
[NAME:volley gun: volley guns]

-A pistol with 4-5 splayed barrels (Like a ducks foot). all fire a once.-

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_DUCKS_FOOT]
[NAME:ducksfoot pistol:ducksfoot pistols]

-A musket with a revolving chamber allowing for multiple shots. All accept percussion are prone to chain fireing and     debilitating malfuctions.-

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_REV_LONG]
[NAME:revolving musket:revolving muskets]

-A carbine with chambers lined up in a bar, allowing for muliple shots. Prone to the slide not aligning right and causing  a KB.-

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_HARMONICA_C]
[NAME:harmonica carbine:harmonica carbines]

-A pistol with chambers lined up in a bar, allowing for muliple shots. Prone to the slide not aligning right and causing   a KB.-

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_HARMONICA_P]
[NAME:harmonica pistol:harmonica pistols]

-A musket with chambers linked together in a looped chain allowing for multiple shots. Prone to malfunctions and the     chambers not aligning right and causing a KB. Also prone to chain firing.-

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CHAIN_M]
[NAME:chain-fed musket:chain-fed muskets]

-A pistol with chambers linked together in a looped chain allowing for multiple shots. Prone to malfunctions and the     chambers not aligning right and causing a KB. Also prone to chain firing.-

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CHAIN_P]
[NAME:chain-fed pistol:chain-fed pistols]

-A pistol with many barrels grouped together allowing for multiple shots. The barrels had to be turned by hand, and      because of excessive weight never got larger than a carbine and was soon replaced by the revolver.-

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PEPPER]
[NAME:pepperbox revolver:pepperbox revolver]

-A revolver halfway between a percussion revolver and a pepperbox. As good revolvers had already been invented this was a  cheap and poor quality defence weapon.-

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_TRANSITION]
[NAME:transitional revolver:transitional revolvers]

-A muzzle loading revolver fired with a percussion cap from the rear.-

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_REVOLVER_BP]
[NAME:percussion revolver:percussion revolvers]

-A percussion revolver with a 9 shot cylinder revolving around a shotgun barrel. The shotgun barrel could be fired by      ajusting the firing pin on the hammer-

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_LE_MATT]
[NAME:LeMatt revolver:LeMatt revolvers]

-A carbine or musket with a cup on the front for lobbing cast-iron or bronze grenades. Could be dangerous and       unpridictible is handled by amatures.-

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_LOBBER]
[NAME:grenade lobber:grenade lobbers]

-A advanced carbine or rifle loaded from the rear with paper or cloth cartridges. Closing the action caused a blade to     open the cartridge. Fired with percussion caps that could be linked together in a specialized dispenser. Renown for is    accuraccy.-

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SHARPS]
[NAME:sharps carbine:sharps carbines]
[NAME:sharps rifle:sharps rifles]   

-Sharps Carbine/Rifle with an removable bayonet.-

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SHARPS_BAY]
[NAME:sharps carbine:sharps carbines][ADJECTIVE:bayonetted]
[NAME:sharps rifle:sharps rifles][ADJECTIVE:bayonetted]

-A musket/rifle/shotgun with two barrels fired with seprate actions. Could be flintlock or percussion. A few    experimential actions are known-

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_DOUBLE]
[NAME:double barreled shotgun:double barreled shotguns]
[NAME:double barreled rifle:double barreled rifles]
[NAME:double barreled pistol:double barreled pistols]
[NAME:double barreled musket:double barreled muskets]

-Actions--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------               

-The powder is ignited by a match/red hot iron held seperatly in the hand; which is then inserted into a hole in the     barrel for firing-

[ADJECTIVE:No action]

-A slow smoldering match attached to a firing mechanisim. First Mechinized action.-

[ADJECTIVE:Matchlock]

-A flint or iron pyrite hits a spinning, springloaded wheel. Complicated and expensive. Wheel has to be re-wound after     every shot.-

[ADJECTIVE:Wheellock]

-A flint hits a textured metal bar creating sparks which hits the priming powder. The frizzed also acts as the pan cover.  Cheap and reliable.-

[ADJECTIVE:Flintlock]

-Predissesor to flintlock. The pan is opened by a seperate mechanisim. Slightly more complex than flintlock-

[ADJECTIVE:Snaphazuen]

-A flinlock action situated in the center of the firearm. Used on pocket pistols for less places to snag.-

[ADJECTIVE:Boxlock]

-The hammer hits an small copper cup which is filled with an impact sensitive explosive. Super reliable and weather       proof.

[ADJECTIVE:Percussion]

-A percussion firearm with the action situated on the bottom. Used for a cleaner sight line.-

[ADJECTIVE:Underhammer]

-Simular to percussion. The impact expolsive is formed into a small rod which is then inserted into the action.

[ADJECTIVE:Tubelock]

-Descriptors---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Shows weapon is neglected.-

[ADJECTIVE:Dirty]
[ADJECTIVE:Rusty]
[ADJECTIVE:Battered]
[ADJECTIVE:Stained]

-Shows weapon is damaged and dangerous to use-

[ADJECTIVE:Corroded]
[ADJECTIVE:Damaged]
[ADJECTIVE:Flawed]

-Shows Wepon is unreliable-

[ADJECTIVE:Jammed]
[ADJECTIVE:Shoddy]
[ADJECTIVE:Experimental]
[ADJECTIVE:Sticky/Slow Mechanisim]
[ADJECTIVE:Improvised]

-Shows weapon is loved-

[ADJECTIVE:Maintained]
[ADJECTIVE:Custom]
[ADJECTIVE:Initialed/Carved Pictures]
[ADJECTIVE:Worn Smooth]

-Shows weapon is special-

[ADJECTIVE:Target]
[ADJECTIVE:Light trigger]
[ADJECTIVE:Exotic]
[ADJECTIVE:Runed]
[ADJECTIVE:Glowing]
[ADJECTIVE:Sighted]
[ADJECTIVE:Scoped]

-Extras/To Do---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Add Odd propellents for when gunpowder is not avalible; gas ignition (like a potato gun); pressurized gas  (air;CO2;nitrogen);fertilizer+kerosine;Magic;impact explosive (Ex:iodine+ammonia crystals);gun cotten.

Random decriptors (EX:rusty;old;battered;maintained;new;damaged;shoddy;corroded;flawed;experimental;jammed;slow  mecanisim;dirty;tuned;custom;light trigger;marksman;target)

Random revolvers for percussion revolver equation (adams,colt,le matt,tranter,savage,etc)

How impliment buck and ball? Blunt musket cartridges?

Make rifles; Use minie ball?

How to stop an ammo and/or gun appear to be able to be made from wood/bone; Force custom reactions???

Custom buildings

Maybe add scentbottle action.

More fantasy suff. Theriretical/Fantastical Actions, Magic.

Make Carbines and pistols for each style of action and weapon

More experimential actions

Compiled by Featheredragon     

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #271 on: September 19, 2014, 06:17:03 pm »

Some fascinating concepts there, but unfortunately most of them would be nigh-impossible to recreate in-engine; I can't even control rates of fire at the moment.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Featheredragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 19, 2014, 06:41:05 pm »

Damn. Rates of fire are kinda essential for most of these to work. I also insist kindly recommend that you replace the shotgun with a blunderbuss. Also though some airguns/pellet guns date very early: I can not seem to find any references to early spring powered firearms. though bullet/stone cross bows also date very early for small game hunting.

Don't know when I will have internet access again so hope this helps.

Also have a link to a amazing site; you will also want to look at their youtube channel:http://www.forgottenweapons.com/rifles/treeby-chain-gun/

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #273 on: September 19, 2014, 07:15:26 pm »

The air guns being spring-powered instead of by compressed air was another necessary compromise, because for the life of me I can't figure out how I might go about simulating an air tank without resorting to the dark sourcery of dfhack.

And 'shotgun' instead of 'blunderbuss' came about because everyone who happens to install the mod will immediately understand what a shotgun is and what it's supposed to do; this is also why I went with muskets instead of arquebuses. (Arquebi?  ;) )

Besides, the word 'blunderbuss' conjures up mental pictures of ridiculous-looking weapons resembling a trumpet with a firing mechanism, wielded by bad German stereotypes in old cartoons. And the direct, literal English translation of the original Dutch word is "thunder-pipe", which sounds even sillier and vaguely obscene.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Featheredragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 20, 2014, 02:45:44 pm »

To me a blunderbuss is a crude pipe strapped to a hand-carved stock; A weapon of desperation and no fucks given. A weapon where you can just jam gravel in it and fire. Also I think to most people blunderbusses conjure up images of pirates; not Germans in lederhosen, as I have never heard of or seen such cartoons or stereotypes.

Having the shotgun in there automatically makes me think of a break-action double barrel; which breaks immersion for me; it is like looking up gun mods for skyrim and only finding mods were people add AK-47s and 1911's. (Please stand by; we are experiencing temporary incoherent rage.) Maybe go for a happy medium and call it a scatter gun.

The last thing I want is for this to turn into a typical  "stop liking what I don't like" argument. Its your mod and you can do whatever you want with it. Of course I can always just change the name in the raws; I am just offering suggestions; If you want me to stop just tell me.

Or maybe this all is not necessary and I am too used to trying to stop fights on 4chan.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #275 on: September 20, 2014, 03:11:26 pm »

The way I see it, you can always rename it in item_weapon_guns.txt (and remove the sawn-off version) if it bothers you. I have been pondering the idea of introducing a proper fowling-piece, which means I'll have to rename the current shotgun to something else. "Wagon gun", maybe? After all, it's more or less the direct ancestor of the Old West coach-gun.

Say, we haven't had a proper Wild West mod since 40d. Maybe I'll make that my next project.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 22, 2014, 07:23:09 am »

Well, for me a blunderbuss is the definition of a dwarf weapon. Might have something to do with Warhammer.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #277 on: September 22, 2014, 07:45:04 am »

Like I said, I have some tentative plans to expand shotgun-type weapons a bit once I hit v1.0. How about we revisit this discussion then?

Oh, and how are you all finding v0.9? Any bugs I should be aware of?

Rammok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 22, 2014, 03:35:27 pm »

So I spent some time with Black Powder Firearms. And, I love it. Although I realized it would take hours to merge into Dark Ages. And, the number of reactions required for this mod is quite vast.

I'm planning on refitting a much simplified version of Black Powder Firearms mod for inclusion in a future version of Dark Ages.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #279 on: September 22, 2014, 03:54:06 pm »

So I spent some time with Black Powder Firearms. And, I love it. Although I realized it would take hours to merge into Dark Ages. And, the number of reactions required for this mod is quite vast.
The thing about the reactions, though, is that most of the actually difficult ones are optional; gunpowder and firelocks can both be bought from the caravans, and you can substitute potash for saltpetre.

I'm planning on refitting a much simplified version of Black Powder Firearms mod for inclusion in a future version of Dark Ages.
Excellent. I look forward to seeing the result.

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
« Reply #280 on: September 27, 2014, 08:15:20 pm »

The thing about the reactions, though, is that most of the actually difficult ones are optional; gunpowder and firelocks can both be bought from the caravans, and you can substitute potash for saltpetre.

Excellent. I look forward to seeing the result.

Exhausting, but complete. It works in adventure mode in a fairly simplistic form: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143540.msg5694117#msg5694117

I did some test firing with lead bullets. It wasn't fantastically powerful, but effective against unarmored opponents.   ???
Dark Ages IV: DF & Skyrim mods + Survival Sims 
http://AdventRPG.com/

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #281 on: September 28, 2014, 05:30:03 am »

Exhausting, but complete. It works in adventure mode in a fairly simplistic form: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143540.msg5694117#msg5694117
Marvellous. Actually, that reminds me. Can I get a list of everyone who's used bits of this mod for their own projects so I can add you to the Acknowledgements entry in the readme file?

I did some test firing with lead bullets. It wasn't fantastically powerful, but effective against unarmored opponents.
That's working as intended, then, good.

Sprocket809

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 28, 2014, 08:32:06 am »

Left out lead for ammo, and potash could be used as a sub for saltpeter. 5k cloth for cartridges, is a little large. For the spring guns, would need steel for the springs, since other materials would be too brittle, low tensile strength

Actually, potash (or rather pearlash, the purer form of potassium carbonate) isn't really an alternative - It's actually required in the production of saltpeter as a reduction agent (potassium carbonate heated with potassium nitrate to makes a more flammable chemical)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #283 on: September 28, 2014, 09:30:06 am »

Actually, potash (or rather pearlash, the purer form of potassium carbonate) isn't really an alternative - It's actually required in the production of saltpeter as a reduction agent (potassium carbonate heated with potassium nitrate to makes a more flammable chemical)
I know. I ended up using straight potash in the reaction as a compromise because I couldn't think of a good way to make potassium nitrate (sewer brew as a stand-in for aged urine was one idea I kicked around) and I never really got around to taking another look at it. I'm always open to suggestions though.

Sprocket809

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 28, 2014, 12:04:56 pm »

I know. I ended up using straight potash in the reaction as a compromise because I couldn't think of a good way to make potassium nitrate (sewer brew as a stand-in for aged urine was one idea I kicked around) and I never really got around to taking another look at it. I'm always open to suggestions though.

Saltpeter is actually a mineral in-game, in a mod that I'm working on (a smaller scale one to yours, where guns are less of a priority compared to transmutation alchemy and metallurgy) I used that, with some editing. I'm quite pressed for time right now so I can't give the full details, but I'll send you a message so we could compare notes? I think I've nailed the alchemy part of things but my guns and bullets aren't fully up to scratch yet.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23