Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23

Author Topic: Black Powder Firearms  (Read 104153 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Black Powder Firearms
« Reply #285 on: September 28, 2014, 01:15:51 pm »

Saltpeter is actually a mineral in-game, in a mod that I'm working on (a smaller scale one to yours, where guns are less of a priority compared to transmutation alchemy and metallurgy) I used that, with some editing.

I'm fully aware of that, but the whole reason Fredd suggested the alternative reaction is that saltpetre deposits are extremely uncommon unless you tinker with the mineral raws like Rammok did for brimstone in Dark Ages.

I'm quite pressed for time right now so I can't give the full details, but I'll send you a message so we could compare notes? I think I've nailed the alchemy part of things but my guns and bullets aren't fully up to scratch yet.
Sure, why not?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #286 on: October 01, 2014, 07:00:00 am »

Code: [Select]
............................................________........................
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,............
.........................,/...............................................”:,........
.....................,?......................................................\,.....
.................../...........................................................,}....
................./......................................................,:`^`..}....
.............../...................................................,:”........./.....
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../.....
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/...........
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}...........
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../............
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../.............
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,....
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\........................
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\.......................
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__..
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.......
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\...............
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\..............

I cannot believe it took me this long to notice that [PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:] screw-up.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 01, 2014, 11:58:52 am »

The air guns being spring-powered instead of by compressed air was another necessary compromise, because for the life of me I can't figure out how I might go about simulating an air tank without resorting to the dark sourcery of dfhack.

Why not just make it a component of the gun, along with the bellows.  So a gun would be made of a stock, barrel, tank and a bellows.  The manufacture could be made more or less difficult (in real life making the air tanks was very difficult and expensive, which is why air rifles never caught on). In use, the weapon would work alot like a bow.

fasquardon

Rammok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 01, 2014, 01:09:02 pm »

I cannot believe it took me this long to notice that [PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:] screw-up.

Looked fine for the Arquebus/Rifle refit I did. There is another issue with reagents having "no_subtype" where it should read "NONE".
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 01:18:39 pm by Rammok »

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #289 on: October 02, 2014, 05:49:07 am »

Well, now that I finally have a computer that can play DF properly, I should be able to get those bugs fixed permanently.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #290 on: October 05, 2014, 05:10:19 am »

Progress update: No errors in worldgen, but the first reaction I tried (wooden rockets, because it was the easiest) appears to run indefinitely without producing anything. Nothing in the error log is giving me any clues as to why. Going to try bullets next.

EDIT: O...kay. The good news is the reaction worked, the bad news is it produced a single bullet and a single cartridge each time.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 05:16:54 am by Jake »

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 05, 2014, 05:22:43 am »

I can't see any [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT] tags. Try using lots and lots of [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT] tags.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #292 on: October 05, 2014, 06:37:45 am »

Fixed it! Apparently I needed [PRODUCT:100:60:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BULLET_L:METAL:LEAD][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:60], not [PRODUCT:100:1:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BULLET_L:METAL:LEAD][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:60].

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #293 on: October 05, 2014, 07:46:49 am »

v0.9 is now up at DFFD, first post edited accordingly.

NoobKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 21, 2014, 11:37:30 pm »

v0.9 is now up at DFFD, first post edited accordingly.
Is this mod compatible with 40.13?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #295 on: October 22, 2014, 04:06:13 am »

Is this mod compatible with 40.13?
Yes it is.

NoobKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 22, 2014, 07:33:36 am »

Downloading. Looks awesome.

NoobKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 22, 2014, 09:19:00 am »

Still haven't found a firearm in Adventure Mode. Are they supposed to be super rare even if you give them to all intelligent races?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #298 on: October 22, 2014, 09:23:05 am »

Weapons made in reactions don't seem to show up properly unless added as WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_WHATEVER in entity_default.txt.

noobnubcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Clumsy Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 25, 2014, 12:24:55 pm »

[SHOOT_MAXVEL:25000] This number determines rate of fire.
The raw file for weapons states:

[SHOOT_MAXVEL:200]  This is just to make sure a near-weightless object doesn't go faster than the string could possibly go.

Implying that MAXVEL stands for max velocity.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 12:28:01 pm by noobnubcakes »
To this day the elven warrior castes hunt the enemies of nature for the purpouse of bringing back slain intelligent beings for consumption by their leaders and generals, for the good of nature and the survival of elvenkind.

And that is the story of how napalm was invented.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23