Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

Author Topic: Black Powder Firearms  (Read 102046 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Black Powder Firearms
« on: May 21, 2011, 01:06:01 pm »

Download

Installation instructions:

1. Copy the files into your raw/objects folder.

2. Add the following to the civilisation you have set as playable in entity_default.txt:

[PERMITTED_BUILDING:GUN_FORGE]
[PERMITTED_BUILDING:BULLET_MINT]
[PERMITTED_BUILDING:WORK_BENCH]

[PERMITTED_REACTION:FIRELOCK_L]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:FIRELOCK_S]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:SPRINGLOCK_L]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:SPRINGLOCK_S]

[PERMITTED_REACTION:UNBOX1]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:UNBOX2]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:UNBOX3]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:UNBOX4]

[PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_BPOWDER_P]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_BPOWDER_S]

[PERMITTED_REACTION:CARTRIDGES_L]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:CARTRIDGES_S]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:CARTRIDGES_B1]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:CARTRIDGES_B2]

[PERMITTED_REACTION:LEAD_BULLET_L]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_BULLET_L]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:COPPER_BULLET_L]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:ANY_BULLET_L]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:LEAD_BULLET_S]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_BULLET_S]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:COPPER_BULLET_S]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:ANY_BULLET_S]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:LEAD_BUCKSHOT]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_BUCKSHOT]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:COPPER_BUCKSHOT]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:ANY_BUCKSHOT]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:LEAD_BIRDSHOT]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_BIRDSHOT]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:COPPER_BIRDSHOT]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:ANY_BIRDSHOT]

[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_ROCKET]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_ROCKET]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:COPPER_ROCKET]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:WOOD_ROCKET]

[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_MUSKET]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BRONZE_MUSKET]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_MUSKET]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_RIFLE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BRONZE_RIFLE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_RIFLE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_PISTOL]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BRONZE_PISTOL]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_PISTOL_BLADED]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_PISTOL_BLADED]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BRONZE_PISTOL_BLADED]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_PISTOL_BLADED]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:COPPER_AIRGUN]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_AIRGUN]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BRONZE_AIRGUN]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_BBGUN]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:COPPER_BBGUN]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_BBGUN]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BRONZE_BBGUN]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_BBGUN]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_CARBINE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BRONZE_CARBINE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_CARBINE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_BLUNDERBUSS]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BRONZE_BLUNDERBUSS]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_BLUNDERBUSS]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_SHOTGUN]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BRONZE_SHOTGUN]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_SHOTGUN]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:ROCKET_TUBE]

3. Add some combination of the following to any other civs you want to be armed with guns, and/or buy components from.

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_MUSKET]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_RIFLE]
   [ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_CARTRIDGE_L]a

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AIRGUN]
   [ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BULLET_L]

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BBGUN]
   [ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BULLET_S]

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PISTOL]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PISTOL_BLADED]
[ITEM:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CARBINE]
   [ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_CARTRIDGE_S]a

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_ROCKET]
   [ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ROCKET]

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BLUNDERBUSS]
   [ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_SHOT_1]

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SHOTGUN]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SHOTGUN_SAWN_OFF]
   [ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_SHOT_2]

[PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_BPOWDER_P]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_BPOWDER_S]

[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_BOX_FL_L]b
[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_BOX_FL_S]b
[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_BOX_SL_L]b
[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_BOX_SL_S]b

a. You only need one entry for ammunition if you have more than one weapon that fires the same sort.
b. These are to simplify the process of importing firelocks and spring-locks to maps with no easy access to steel. Please don't use them as an exploit.

______________________________________________________________________________________

How To Use:

First, a note of caution: This mod does not make bows and crossbows redundant. Getting a firearms industry working is time-consuming and complicated and you'll almost certainly not find all the raw materials you need on one map, so expect to buy a lot of stuff from the caravans.

There are two main processes involved, making the weapons and making the ammunition. All but one of the necessary reactions involved go on within the three dedicated firearms workshops, meaning that you can put in a work-order for a load of the necessary components and then forget about it while your craftsdwarf's shops, metalsmith's forges and other workshops are unmolested. The exception is gunpowder, which you'll probably only be making intermittently.

To make a gun, you need metal bars, wood and either firelocks or spring-locks. (Barrels, stocks etc are not yet modelled.) The required materials are as follows:

Rifle, Musket, Hand mortar, Fowling piece, Wagon gun                   1 metal bar           1 Large firelock       1 log
   Spring-gun                              1 metal bar*   1 Large spring-lock   1 Log
   Pistol, Bladed pistol, Carbine                     0.5 metal bars   1 Small firelock      1 Log
   Small spring-gun                           0.5 metal bars*   1 Small spring-lock   1 Log

* These weapons can be made out of copper. All others are restricted to iron, bronze or steel.

Note that since DF isn't really set up for using partial metal bars, pistols, carbines and small spring-guns are made in pairs. All these weapons are assembled in the Gunsmith's Forge using Weaponsmithing. The Gunsmith's forge is also where firelocks and spring-locks are made, using Metalcrafting. These can only be made from steel, but one steel bar will create six large or ten small locks of either type.

Firelocks and spring-locks can be bought from the caravans in boxes, which can be opened at the Workbench using the Striking skill. There's a 95% chance you'll get a wooden chest free out of this reaction, but occasionally it'll break. Each box contains six large or ten small locks of the type you bought.

Ammunition is a two-step process, at least for gunpowder arms. The first step is to make a batch of gunstones or buck/birdshot at the Ammunition Mint, using the Metalcrafting labour. These can be made of quite literally any metal, although there are separate reactions for lead, iron and copper. You are strongly advised to set the Ammunition Mint to take from a specific stockpile that accepts only the metals you want made into ammunition if you use the "Make small/large gunstones from any metal" reaction. Either way, you get sixty large or one hundred small gunstones or one "buckshot" or "birdshot" item per bar.

The best metal for ammunition is... Well, whatever you've got, really. Shot made from lead or other mostly-useless metals like tin or zinc will reliably kill or incapacitate through leather, and do significant harm through chain mail; plate armour might give a bit more trouble, but it conveniently leaves the shoulders and upper arms vulnerable so your thin bearded line will only have to get lucky once. Iron and copper bullets are even better.

Gunstones can be fired from spring guns by themselves, but if you want a bit more bang for your dwarfbuck you'll need to combine them with some cloth and a sack of gunpowder at the Workbench with the Clothesmaking skill. (This is a placeholder until paper is implemented in Fortress Mode.) The ratios are as follows:

1 stack of 60 large gunstones              1 stack of 60 large cartridges
   1 stack of 100 small gunstones      1 stack of 100 large cartridges
   3 stacks of 100 small gunstones      1 stack of 50 grapeshot cartridges
   1 Buckshot                  1 stack of 100 buckshot cartridges*
   1 Birdshot                  1 stack of 150 birdshot cartridges*

* These are separate ammunition *types*, but of the same *class*, meaning they can both be fired out of the fowling piece. Not many people know you can do this.

Last of all we have rockets for the hand mortar, which are a slight oddball among the ammunition types. Metal ones are made at the Gunsmith's Forge, wooden ones at the Workbench, with the gunpowder added directly. You only get five per log or bar, but if you need to fire more than five of these at one opponent you're having serious Fun.

As for gunpowder itself, you will require the following: 2 blocks of coal or charcoal, 8 blocks of saltpeter or potash, 1 boulder of brimstone and ten empty bags. This is the only BPFA reaction to take place at the Smelter, using furnace operating; if you have another mod installed that uses the Alchemy skill for something then you may wish to modify the raws accordingly. The Dwarf Chocolate Plugin version of this mod (currently defunct pending DC updating to v0.40) uses the Alchemy skill at the Alchemist's Workshop.

As you will have noticed, gunpowder is a very resource-intensive item to make on-site. Expect to end up buying a lot of it from the caravans, along with ready-made ammunition, and use what you do buy with great care.

As to which firearms are the best? That's largely a matter for opinion. Rifles and muskets are the most powerful conventional firearms, but pistols weigh the least and can be used in conjunction with a shield, and carbines are somewhere in the middle. Spring-guns are significantly less powerful, only a moderate improvement over crossbows, but their ammunition is faster to make and requires no gunpowder. Shotguns are brutally effective for pulping or severing body parts but of very limited use against armour. Hand mortars can reliably incapacitate anything up to some megabeasts, but their ammunition is fearsomely expensive.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Known (or suspected) issues:

Weapons and ammunition only obtainable through reactions don't turn up with caravans, or presumably in the hands of invaders. The only known workaround for this is to add them to entity_default as [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_MUSKET] etc.

Bullets might occasionally be found stuck in the ground or dead enemies the way arrows or crossbow bolts are, although arena testing suggests that this is quite rare. Material and velocity apparently plays some part in determining how often this happens, but there's not much !!SCIENCE!! on the subject.

Guns fitted with bayonets can be fitted to upright spear traps, which I suppose is as good a way as any of using up weapons that are surplus to requirements. Guns can also be added to weapon traps and function quite normally, which makes very little sense but can't be helped.

"Individual choice, ranged" creates issues with dwarves picking up the wrong kind of ammunition, which is a known bug in vanilla. I'm not yet certain how this affects hunters, but if you want to use gunstones for training and cartridges for combat, the only method I'm aware of is to set up a separate 'trainee' squad.

Acknowledgements:

Toady One and ThreeToe for creating this wonderful platform for our individual and collective creativity.

Michael_Almeida for letting me use his Muskets mod as the basis for the first version of BPFA.

Hugo the Dwarf, Fredd, Acperience, Meph and many others for their invaluable advice and support.

Everyone who's built on my work to enhance their own mods, mentioned me in their sig or just posted in the thread with a kind word.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:47:55 am by Jake »
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Black Powder Firearms
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 11:38:49 pm »

Left out lead for ammo, and potash could be used as a sub for saltpeter. 5k cloth for cartridges, is a little large. For the spring guns, would need steel for the springs, since other materials would be too brittle, low tensile strength
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 03:36:15 am »

Left out lead for ammo, and potash could be used as a sub for saltpeter. 5k cloth for cartridges, is a little large. For the spring guns, would need steel for the springs, since other materials would be too brittle, low tensile strength
Lead ammunition is definitely in the raws; are you sure you didn't leave the reaction out of entity_default by mistake? I'll take your other comments into consideration, but I'm waiting on a bit more feedback before the next version.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 05:00:03 am »

i have two mods incorporating stuff like this: my alchemists mod (creating loads and loads of saltpeter out of even bigger loads of wood with potash refinery)
and the thunderbluss mod (which basicly does the same as your mod just only one weapon :x)

though to keep thing simpler i only used 1 brimstone/saltpeter/coal per bag, and each bag creates a lot of bullets :x
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 06:19:28 am »

though to keep thing simpler i only used 1 brimstone/saltpeter/coal per bag, and each bag creates a lot of bullets :x
So did the mod I based it on, but I couldn't resist making it more complex. And 120 rounds per sack of gunpowder ought to be plenty once I tweak the reaction a bit. Might go with Fredd's suggestion instead of a reaction to create saltpetre, actually; I don't know if the ashery can accept a custom reaction, and my custom workshop design skills are... lacking, to say the least.

Alternatecash

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING: [flammable head]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 09:51:39 pm »

Yes. More and better ways to kill. I approve.
Explore a half-ruined facility and play with dangerous
mutagens in my forum game.
It's back! A bit. Seriously, jump in.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 03:49:18 am »

What are the differences between muskets/rifles/air-guns/pistols besides the materials used to create them?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 07:43:49 am »

Rifles have the highest muzzle velocity but a slightly longer reload time than muskets, but muskets possess spike bayonets. Pistols are quicker to reload but have a lower muzzle velocity than both, but can be used in conjunction with a shield. Spring-guns have a slightly better reload time than a musket and carry bayonets, but are much less powerful.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 10:03:37 am »

Rifles have the highest muzzle velocity but a slightly longer reload time than muskets, but muskets possess spike bayonets. Pistols are quicker to reload but have a lower muzzle velocity than both, but can be used in conjunction with a shield. Spring-guns have a slightly better reload time than a musket and carry bayonets, but are much less powerful.

I thought the weapon system was weird to the point of being able to hold several weapons/shields in one hand, but rifles/muskets/spring-guns disallows shield holding?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 10:28:07 am »

slightly longer reload time than muskets [...] Pistols are quicker to reload

How does this work? I wasn't aware that there were any means of affecting firing speed.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 08:49:50 pm »

I thought the weapon system was weird to the point of being able to hold several weapons/shields in one hand, but rifles/muskets/spring-guns disallows shield holding?
They're too large for dwarves to hold one-handed; the same size as a longsword in fact. I think that should work properly.

How does this work? I wasn't aware that there were any means of affecting firing speed.
SHOOT_MAXVEL is the tag that governs the reload rate, and SHOOT_FORCE alters muzzle velocity, which is apparently sort of like the force multiplier tag in melee damage. I think.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 01:09:39 am »

Did you test out rifles and other two-handed weapons in fortress mode?

I always thought that ranged weapons needed to be one handed so they could hold ammo in the free hand.

But if not, that's good news.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 04:24:19 am »

I always thought that ranged weapons needed to be one handed so they could hold ammo in the free hand.

I've not yet had an opportunity to test this, I'm afraid. I genned one world with an earlier, horribly broken incarnation of the mod, and only had time to fix the major screwups before going on vacation. I won't have access to my gaming rig for a few weeks.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 03:32:49 pm »

I've not yet had an opportunity to test this, I'm afraid. I genned one world with an earlier, horribly broken incarnation of the mod, and only had time to fix the major screwups before going on vacation. I won't have access to my gaming rig for a few weeks.

I'm about to gen a world with firearms, what skill affects gun usage?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 04:23:51 pm »

I'm about to gen a world with firearms, what skill affects gun usage?
Marksdwarf for the ranged attack, and weapons with bayonets use the speardwarf skill whilst the rest use MISCWEAPON.

And I did add a lot of comments to the raws answering most of these questions, you know.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23