Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23

Author Topic: Black Powder Firearms  (Read 102061 times)

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Black Powder Firearms
« Reply #255 on: August 31, 2014, 03:19:25 pm »

Yeah, the recovery time stats only affect melee attacks. If there's a way to adjust ranged weapon reload times, I haven't heard of one yet.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 31, 2014, 03:24:21 pm »

Well, I did a quick-and-dirty conversion to .40.10 and ran some arena tests. Preliminary conclusions:

1. We're back to 40d rates of fire even with ATTACK_PREP_AND_RECOVER set to 20:2. Further !!SCIENCE!! is badly needed on exactly what that new stat actually does because there's nothing on the wiki.

2. SHOOT_FORCE is going to need a huge boost, because lead bullets are basically paintballs; a dwarf got hit in the face with a rifle shot and suffered a bruised eyelid.
SHOOT_FORCE is basically 1/20th of what it was, if that helps you ballpark things.

And watch out about drawing conclusions based on eyelids, the old .34 bolt science thread recorded only three deflections all of which were off eyeballs. Facial features are a little strange.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #257 on: August 31, 2014, 03:51:44 pm »

Yeah, the recovery time stats only affect melee attacks. If there's a way to adjust ranged weapon reload times, I haven't heard of one yet.
It must do something, though, because why else would ammunition have its own [ATTACK_PREP_AND_RECOVER] stat? (Which is a less than ideal way of doing it from my perspective, I might add, because it means separating rifle and musket ammunition.)

SHOOT_FORCE is basically 1/20th of what it was, if that helps you ballpark things.

And watch out about drawing conclusions based on eyelids, the old .34 bolt science thread recorded only three deflections all of which were off eyeballs. Facial features are a little strange.
I'll add an extra zero to it for the next round of tests and see if that helps. I'm running nearly all my tests with lead ammunition at the minute, and the results have not been encouraging...

Although it does look quite badass when a dwarf just stands there with bullets bouncing off their armour. I'll try and upload some footage to DFMA at some point.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 31, 2014, 04:07:26 pm »

It must do something, though, because why else would ammunition have its own [ATTACK_PREP_AND_RECOVER] stat?

It's for when you just grab an arrow and start stabbing fools. That attack needs stats too.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #259 on: September 01, 2014, 03:46:50 pm »

Well, messing around with SHOOT_MAXVEL and SHOOT_FORCE had no discernable effect at all, although I haven't done a proper side-by-side test against crossbows yet; I'm not sure I want to know, either. And I haven't even got around to testing the new reactions yet, but they're probably going to be hilariously broken because reactions in general make my head hurt.

Can you tell I'm getting a little despondent here?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 02, 2014, 08:41:02 am »

Well, messing around with SHOOT_MAXVEL and SHOOT_FORCE had no discernable effect at all, although I haven't done a proper side-by-side test against crossbows yet; I'm not sure I want to know, either. And I haven't even got around to testing the new reactions yet, but they're probably going to be hilariously broken because reactions in general make my head hurt.

Can you tell I'm getting a little despondent here?
Reactions haven't actually changed very much. Brewables are now a reaction class because of the new plants, but that's it, I think. Also globs have a size now? I think? Idk, reactions are black magic. I was fooling around with wizard tower and made ten thousand slings the other day. (that is too many slings for dwarf fortress to handle, as it turns out.)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #261 on: September 03, 2014, 12:21:47 pm »

Well, we have some progress: I think I finally nailed the reaction bugs Drug_unit reported, and I've tweaked the weapon and ammo raw entries a bit so that lead bullets aren't completely worthless. (They still plink off armour like Nerf darts but break bones on impact with bare flesh, so one lucky hit will kill or disable.)

The bad news is that I have no solution for the rate of fire issue; ATTACK_PREP_AND_RECOVER doesn't affect it at all so far as I can tell.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 04, 2014, 12:43:41 am »

The bad news is that I have no solution for the rate of fire issue; ATTACK_PREP_AND_RECOVER doesn't affect it at all so far as I can tell.

Oh, that is too bad!!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 04, 2014, 07:08:27 am »

ATTACK_PREP_AND_RECOVER apparently doesn't affect ranged weapons either (regular and cross bows, blowguns)? Can anyone confirm that?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #264 on: September 04, 2014, 07:22:07 am »

ATTACK_PREP_AND_RECOVER apparently doesn't affect ranged weapons either (regular and cross bows, blowguns)? Can anyone confirm that?
I've carried out side-by-side tests with rifles and crossbows and their rate of fire is perfectly identical, so yes. It looks like ranged weapon rates of fire are hardcoded somewhere.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 04, 2014, 09:37:37 am »

Drats! The ball is now on Toady's side.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #266 on: September 04, 2014, 10:31:59 am »

Eh, it doesn't much matter. I'm actually somewhat glad the ATTACK_PREP_ETC stat in item_ammo doesn't affect rate of fire, because then I'd have to have a separate type of ammunition for each firearm.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #267 on: September 19, 2014, 05:37:29 am »

Okay, quick status update everyone. The bad news is that development and testing have been heavily delayed due to technical problems:

The good news is, I'm pretty sure cartridge production works now. I've also tinkered with the weapon and ammunition numbers so that lethality should be historically accurate to the late Renaissance or Early Modern period; guns are highly effective, but not to the point where they've displaced crossbows or armour entirely. Lastly, the readme file is now much more comprehensive and contains detailed instructions, something that's been lacking for a while.

To that end, here's the barely-tested but hopefully working V0.9 RC2.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 19, 2014, 07:08:29 am »

Excelent!!!

Rammok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 19, 2014, 02:49:29 pm »

Does anyone know how muskets compare with crossbows power wise?

::)
If Lucelle's using the raws from the last release of BPFA without any modifications, they might actually be considerably inferior. The update for 0.40 is still in testing and hasn't been uploaded to DFFD yet, but there's a link to a release candidate version at the end of the thread.

Cool I just downloaded it. I think I'll just drop BPFA 0.9 RC2 into Dark Ages tonight and hope for the best.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23