Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Zero Punctuation  (Read 14795 times)

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Zero Punctuation
« on: May 21, 2011, 06:27:18 pm »

Would you like to see a review of DF on Zero Punctuation?
I sure would! Yahtzee has reviewed other Indie games, and I would love to see what he would have to say about DF.
Anyone else? Maybe if enough people email him he'll consider trying out DF?
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

Ale and Axes

• Bay Watcher
  • Chug - Swipe - Cheer
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Punctuation
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 06:45:33 pm »

I don't like the guy so I'd pass.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 06:59:28 pm »

He won't like it, it's not his thing.  It's too big for 5 minutes of ZP.  He doesn't really give a crap if you email him about it (which is to say that if he gives a crap it will be negative), etc, etc.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 07:20:36 pm »

Saying that it isn't his thing seems...wrong to me. He loved Minecraft and loves unique games. DF is unique incarnate, so chances are he'd atleast respect the game for what it is. That's not to say he won't tear it apart, but that's what he does :)

I'm curious about the review about this game :P

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 07:27:18 pm »

Although I'm curious about the game, I can predict he'd spend alot of the time ragging on the interface, as he did with Torchlight. It would be interesting nonetheless.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 07:48:35 pm »

Saying that it isn't his thing seems...wrong to me. He loved Minecraft and loves unique games. DF is unique incarnate, so chances are he'd atleast respect the game for what it is. That's not to say he won't tear it apart, but that's what he does :)

I'm curious about the review about this game :P

That's exactly what I was thinking, but I see everyone's points about how it might be difficult to review.
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 07:56:33 pm »

Besides, do you really want him to review an alpha version?
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 08:05:59 pm »

Minecraft's in Alpha.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 08:09:10 pm »

Minecraft's in Alpha.

No, it's not. It's past Alpha, in Beta.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 08:09:50 pm »

He won't review it because everything he has to say about it has already been said in his minecraft review, DF is a game that makes you work for your reward and is a very complex sandbox/simulator/thingy with a strong fanbase. It's graphics are nil, it's interface is as simple as the cockpit of a helicopter, and it relies on third party programs to make itself playable to anyone sane. (I'm looking at you, DT)

Just insert jokes about learning how to speak Japanese in the time it takes to learn DF into your head, and how the official manual would be a novel in itself and BAM! Yahtzee review.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 09:02:14 pm »

Minecraft's in Alpha.

No, it's not. It's past Alpha, in Beta.

I hate that Argument. If I can say one semi-positive thing about Minecraft, and it's really a neutral thing is that it has proven that the model of "alpha" and "beta" obsolete. It's nothing more than a shield guard for liability. The argument I hear is usually

"Hey this game is really good!" Response: "I know!"

"Hey this game wiped my hard drive/eats my save file, causes all my characters o stand and cry" "Oh, it's in alpha/beta". No, no, no, no, no. From what I hear, the man has made 30 million dollars on this thing. Tarn's never charged me for a thing, I don't mind calling dwarf fortress unfinished. Notch has made more than many of us will ever see in our entire lives- hiding behind an "oh it's beta" stops working when you're charging people for things that doesn't hold up well from a moral stand point.

Entirely irrelevant, I thin Tarn is a much more motivated coder than Notch.

ON TOPIC, ZP has openly admitted he doesn't like RTS, it's why he doesn't review Starcraft 2, he doesn't like that kind of game. Yeah, DF is a sim game, but where it stands on the RTS/Sim line depends on a hundred finicky criteria. I don't think he'd like it.

But maybe adventure mode after the latest update might appeal to him a bit, who knows. He's a picky guy, although I think he really exaggerates most of the time for comedic effect. And I like some JRPGS.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 09:08:22 pm »

I think he wouldn't get past the learning curve in time to get a review out on schedule. Besides, I'm tired of zero punctuation. I'm a no.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 09:43:00 pm »

He won't review it because everything he has to say about it has already been said in his minecraft review, DF is a game that makes you work for your reward and is a very complex sandbox/simulator/thingy with a strong fanbase. It's graphics are nil, it's interface is as simple as the cockpit of a helicopter, and it relies on third party programs to make itself playable to anyone sane. (I'm looking at you, DT)

Just insert jokes about learning how to speak Japanese in the time it takes to learn DF into your head, and how the official manual would be a novel in itself and BAM! Yahtzee review.

I studied Japanese for almost 8 years, and I can say a total of three phrases. :D

I don't think DF is really a reviewable game. You have to be a hardcore player to know anything about the game in the first place, not to mention the ten thousand foot cliff face of a learning curve.

You also have to be a little nuts to play this game. Bonus to insanity if you play the default graphics and use no third party mods.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 09:48:42 pm »

and it relies on third party programs to make itself playable to anyone too weaksauce to play the game by itself.

Fix'd. Real men Dwarves play the game without 3rd party programs.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 09:49:15 pm »

Not really.

The ZP guy hates everything, and has only negative stuff to say about the few things he claims to like.  It's neither fun nor interesting to watch once you've seen a couple.

Wouldn't be much of a review, just complaints.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6