Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Zero Punctuation  (Read 14769 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Punctuation
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2011, 03:51:55 pm »

I honestly have no idea what people see in minecraft, it's total rubbish in comparison to DF. If that's your kinda thing then go for it but I'll stick with wrestling undead badgers one handed thank you very much.
It has graphics and multiplayer. Some people like those things.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2011, 03:55:54 pm »

I honestly have no idea what people see in minecraft, it's total rubbish in comparison to DF. If that's your kinda thing then go for it but I'll stick with wrestling undead badgers one handed thank you very much.
Highlighted your problem there.

I really like Minecraft, but lately I've had a real problem with the way Notch has been treating it. He's an awful project coordinator, and the Minecraft community often goes for long stretches of time not hearing what's happening in development or getting to read about Notch's umpteenth three-week-long vacation from his blog. People always point to the fact that he may not care anymore now that he's made a ridiculous amount of money off of the project, but I always refused to think that. Now, I'm not so sure.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2011, 04:33:30 pm »

and it relies on third party programs to make itself playable to anyone too weaksauce to play the game by itself.

Fix'd. Real men Dwarves play the game without 3rd party programs.
Damn right.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2011, 06:48:42 pm »

The real big difference between Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress is this: love.

Dwarf Fortress has love in its development and support that Minecraft doesn't. Toady One loves Dwarf Fortress and makes it for the love of the game and there just isn't the same thing with Minecraft. Notch adds features for favors to rich people(wolves) and PC Gamer(the new skyworld). He doesn't really care about the game like he used to.

There's just... Just so much love! :'(
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2011, 07:18:19 pm »

The real big problem in any game is this: A lack of love.

And without it, you get half-assed games that people half-ass care about.

Oblivion? Loved it. A good game finds me staring at the starlit sky behind a marble tower.
Bioshock? Loved it. Creepy as hell hunting and being hunted, attempting to clear a floor just so I can stare at the ceiling. They have really pretty ceilings.
WoW? Meh, so-so. World of Goo? Hilarious. Difference? Whether or not the creator enjoyed making his creation.

Also: Phantasma. Yay pseudo-advertising! I've made a few tributes to DF buried in there, and there are tributes to Phantasma buried in my DF forts :)
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2011, 07:21:41 pm »

Highlighted your problem there.

I really like Minecraft, but lately I've had a real problem with the way Notch has been treating it. He's an awful project coordinator, and the Minecraft community often goes for long stretches of time not hearing what's happening in development or getting to read about Notch's umpteenth three-week-long vacation from his blog. People always point to the fact that he may not care anymore now that he's made a ridiculous amount of money off of the project, but I always refused to think that. Now, I'm not so sure.

Someone who shares my opinion AT LAST! Maybe we're just spoiled by Tarn's much better update devlog.

and it relies on third party programs to make itself playable to anyone too weaksauce to play the game by itself.

Fix'd. Real men Dwarves People who have Macs and have been left in the lurch by the mod community play the game without 3rd party programs.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2011, 08:12:24 pm »

Fix'd. Real men Dwarves People who have Macs and have been left in the lurch by the mod community play the game without 3rd party programs.

I have windows, played the game already since 40d came out and never ever used any 3rd party programs apart from soundsense.

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2011, 08:55:42 pm »

<3 Dwarf Therapist
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2011, 09:59:53 pm »

I have windows, played the game already since 40d came out and never ever used any 3rd party programs apart from soundsense.

Woops, I left out the word "also" I had planned to leave in there. My greatest wish if for Tarn to have a fey mood, withdraw into his office for a week talking to no one, only to emerge with a fun and intuitive interface that can be easily adjusted.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

BronzeElemental

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2011, 06:15:36 am »

I like the interface the way it is dangnabit, plenty of keys that I never normally use get a good workout. Maybe if we all donate enough money Toady can license the Dungeon Keeper engine.

Demonsul

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2011, 06:25:14 am »

Windows user, played for a while, never touched a third party program.

Yeah. It's the way it should be done. No poncing about with Elven Therapist or such nonsense.

On topic, I'd be interested in seeing such a review, but I doubt it would really work.
Absconditus

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2011, 09:47:59 am »

I like the interface the way it is dangnabit, plenty of keys that I never normally use get a good workout. Maybe if we all donate enough money Toady can license the Dungeon Keeper engine.

Why would he..I don't even... :o

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2011, 11:58:01 am »

Why would he..I don't even... :o
I suspect he meant the display engine and graphics, rather than any of the actual game parts.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

BronzeElemental

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2011, 12:10:04 pm »

Correct, sorry if my terminology was wrong.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2011, 01:02:51 pm »

Designating.. erm, designations was easy in DK II. But now I have the horrible, horrible vision of a Dwarven Mistress, naked except for the covering of ichor, blood and royal jelly, whipping an elf in the torture chamber MAKE IT GO AWAY
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6