Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Zero Punctuation  (Read 14787 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Punctuation
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2011, 05:05:02 pm »

ZP is fun to watch, but I agree with why ZP of DF is a bad idea.

Besides, I prefer this guy: http://spoonyexperiment.com/
He has much more to say, some of his stuff lasts for hours, and is a crossover between review and let's_play. He would also have the patience to learn DF, as he finished some games, he claimed were unplayable. He would also have some good things to say about DF, he usually does. His review would include some footage of him pretending to be a Dwarf. It would be fun to watch. 

<offtop>
On people who say they are more Dwarfy because they use default graphics, and no third party tools. To me this looks like another form of "real programmers use basic text editor with no fancy features". It can be done, but I strongly prefer to have at least syntax highlighting if not a full IDE. Most programmers / webmasters / whatever prefer sophisticated tools to notepad too. Including competent ones, maybe except some old-timers, who used emacs or vi to code FORTRAN. I use Lazy Newb Pack because I want at least a tile-set and Therapist. I sometimes use dfhack or 3d visualiser or whatever too. Maybe that makes me less Dwarfy and reliant on 3rd party tools, but so be it. To me they make the game more enjoyable and bearable, and if not for LNP I just wouldn't bother to learn to play. I have less patience to games than I had 15 years ago. 
I salute those who can play large forts without DT. I can barely manage 100+ Dwarfs with DT, and prefer to limit my population with FPS cap.
</offtop>
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

PlainTextMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Babbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2011, 05:56:44 pm »

He has much more to say, some of his stuff lasts for hours, and is a crossover between review and let's_play. He would also have the patience to learn DF, as he finished some games, he claimed were unplayable. He would also have some good things to say about DF, he usually does. His review would include some footage of him pretending to be a Dwarf. It would be fun to watch. 

Agreed. And the guy you mentioned's reviews sound quite interesting...

<offtop>
<offtop>
On people who say they are more Dwarfy because they use default graphics, and no third party tools. To me this looks like another form of "real programmers use basic text editor with no fancy features". It can be done, but I strongly prefer to have at least syntax highlighting if not a full IDE. Most programmers / webmasters / whatever prefer sophisticated tools to notepad too. Including competent ones, maybe except some old-timers, who used emacs or vi to code FORTRAN. *snip*
</offtop>

You make a point. Do respect vi though (well vim really). I'm a new timer (
<20 years since began devving) and I find its mode-based editing and keybindings can be murderously efficient (albiet non-intuitive), and more comfortable on my wrists compared to 'traditional' regular click-and-see text editors (the paradigm for practically everything else but EMACS, which I'll probably also try to learn some time). This I can say despite that I started out in a VB 6, very microsoft-ish, very IDE-loaded environment. I definitely liked that IDE. But I like my current barebones way of doing things a bit more. Less autopilot, more direct control.

The point: Something vaguely similiar to that can be said for the vanilla DF interface. Once you've learned it... well... 1) you find you can do things pretty fast and easily. Some of it really fast. 2) there are several seemingly simple things gapingly lacking in the interface and you get an urge to mention this to Toady *right now* on the forums. (you also learn workarounds in the process) 3) You feel a sense of accomplishment; you have pulled of a feat that (in your mind at least) many others have wimped out on, cowering as they behold the challange. But not you. You. Are. REAL DWARF.

So I reserve the right to feel smug and more dwarfier than those who use external tools to help them with DF, you see ;)

So please excuse those of us we feel a little smug about it and then just let them (us?) be in their own little worlds :P
</offtop>
Quote from: Loud Whispers link=topic=95349.0
5. You haz rage and you must punch things, but you haz no arms. Pray to ARMOK - Dwarf Mantra
This is an exceptional Post, well crafted with paragraphs and encrusted with attempted punctuation, bad non-native-English-speaker glitches. May exhibit great insight and/or stupidity.
Quote from: Aramco link=topic=81421.msg2149268#msg2149268
I hate English. It may be my first language, but I hate it. It doesn't make any sense.

Quarynn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2011, 04:34:37 pm »

I use to see numerical dwarf happiness
Ancient Steam-Bot, with 1,000,000 horse power

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2011, 09:53:49 pm »

Ehhh, I think his style of humor feels sort of forced, I just don't enjoy it as much, but taste is something we can't argue about. I enjoy yathzee's reviews alot more, I just don't feel he'd be able to do a proper DF review since DF just isn't the kind of stuff he reviews.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]