Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Graveyard layouts  (Read 11829 times)

Lockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tales from the Fortress
Graveyard layouts
« on: May 21, 2011, 07:03:54 pm »

Whenever i get my shit wrecked by a goblin thief (yes this just happened, 6 dwarves in hospital, one dead) I find I need to rapidly construct a graveyard/catacomb.

Anyone got a good layout that allows me to build a small (3x3) tomb for every dwarf (not assigned for anyone) and larger ones for nobles that are assigned? I usually go for a straight corridor with tombs coming off to the sides, but that takes up incredible amounts of space...
Tales from the Fortress is my website dedicated to archiving stories from the world of dwarf fortress.

Now updated to include a DF2014 section!

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Graveyard layouts
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 07:06:59 pm »

since its a repeating pattern take a look on the wiki at bedroom designs http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Bedroom_designs

You can probably adapt something from there.  Spirals work best to try and use the space while minimizing pathing...its ugly math.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Lockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tales from the Fortress
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 07:07:44 pm »

that is something I hadn't concidered. thanks a tonne!
Tales from the Fortress is my website dedicated to archiving stories from the world of dwarf fortress.

Now updated to include a DF2014 section!

elitepastafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 07:20:04 pm »

It doesn't matter how big the tombs are if they are already dead. Just make a 1x1 hall somewhere deep and line it with coffins.
Quote from: Gnauga date=1287448036
Quote from: SkyRender date=1287438955
no-quality training spears are about as effective as a limp noodle at doing damage
You forget that a limp noodle has a wobbly attribute to it. In fact, its characteristics and shape may liken it to a small whip made out of food.
In this sense, the limp noodle is a dangerous thing and should be slurped with extreme caution, lest your lips go flying off in an arc.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 07:51:13 pm »

This is how I crypt in DF:

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 08:04:55 pm »

I tend to build graveyard towers, either 5x5 with central stairs and 4 tombs on each floor or a 3x3 with central stairs and rotating pillars, either 4 or 2 tombs per floor as you prefer. This latter may need scaffolding depending on the design you use. You can also connect several of these towers to make a complex.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 08:20:13 pm »

Though it doesn't look it, DF operates in 3 dimensions. Designate an entire level for burial; space is, therefore, not an issue. Just dig a few down stairs somewhere. A two-in-one mining and burial operation (often morbidly coinciding).

This works very well for refuse also. I once filled up half of an entire z-level's excavated floor space with refuse. (Running the Fortress Defense II mod)

If something will consume a large amount of floor space, dig down another z-level to accommodate it. That's one of the best things to use hotkeys for.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 08:21:04 pm »

I usually just pick some out of the way area and stick all the coffins there, unless the dwarf requires/deserves a tomb. I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I like keeping my nobles happy.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 09:45:33 pm »

I knew it. Lagslayer is half elven!. Boo, Hiss, Boo
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Manae

• Bay Watcher
  • Smile
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 09:53:51 pm »

I enjoy making, well, catacombs. Just make some random one-wide halls off of a central tombs/entrance area, and have one-tile alcoves on both sides of the hall where coffins are put for general burial. When you feel like it, one of the alcoves is lengthened into a new hall. Just let it flow organically, toss some up or down stairs in some of the alcoves to go to new levels. It also leaves space for a two-tile deep alcove every so often, which can be made in to a very meager tomb if you so choose. Also allows for "hidden" larger chambers deep inside the catacombs that can be made into some lavish tombs for those pesky bastards nobles that show up.

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 12:09:11 am »

I use paid-out veins as catacombs. If you're not planning to try and fit rooms into your previously mined-out copper and iron ore areas, just start putting coffins in the old mines. I figure for dorfs, life comes from the ore, so being returned to it in death is appropriate.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 01:25:56 am »

Shove a coffin in their bedrooms. Nothing gets you more motivated like knowing you're expendable.
LOSING IS FUN!

jjdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 01:38:19 am »

I use paid-out veins as catacombs. If you're not planning to try and fit rooms into your previously mined-out copper and iron ore areas, just start putting coffins in the old mines. I figure for dorfs, life comes from the ore, so being returned to it in death is appropriate.

Mebil McCheesemaker:  "Urist!  What are you doing?!  There are !!SOCKS!! available right outside the fortress!"
Urist McMiner:  "I had a sudden inspiration.  I'm gonna mine this vein of hematite out so we can bury our dead here."
Mebil McChessemaker:  "But, Urist... nobody's dead."
Urist McMiner:  "Yet.  Dead... Yet."
Mebil McCheesemaker:  "Whatever, Urist.  Crazy damned miners..."
Mebil McCheesemaker has been struck down!
Urist McMiner:  "I *knew* this was a good idea..."
Quote from: ledgekindred
I can see menacing spikes of iron, but only a true dorf can make menacing spikes of dog leather or pig tail cloth!  What if they suddenly start decorating all their artifacts with like ... like ... butterflies or something.
Quote from: Heavenfall
One of my artifacts had a butterfly on it.
Oh.  Oh.  Oh Armok I'm so sorry.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 01:57:56 am »

I only make tombs for nobles. For general purpose crypt I just mine out a big room and fill it with coffins one space apart set for burial. I'm almost certain, coffins are passable, so completely filling a room with coffins should also work.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 02:15:42 am »

I really like this idea; I think I will try this too.

Here's what my current graveyard/catacombs looks like.... nothing too fancy:

Pages: [1] 2 3