Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What Luck!  (Read 781 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What Luck!
« on: May 24, 2011, 08:30:06 pm »

Almost every time I dig out my metal industry, I find new veins of metal. This time I found tetrahedrite and bituminous coal. This is the third set of tetrahedrite I've found on this embark.

What small bits of luck have you had?

Max176

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What Luck!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 08:31:55 pm »

A towering spire of Adamantine on a volcanic area, with excellent conditions. Deep metals, clay, soil and plenty of trees.
I'm mining out and admixture every section of adamant ore I can get my easily on to alternation my armoursmith up to allegorical so he can accomplish actively alarming armour for my aggressive. again I'm traveling to do the aforementioned for weapons.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 08:42:08 pm »

Novice axedwarf kills granite butterfly in caverns.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 09:12:11 pm »

Had an embark where I put the entrance to the fort in an isolated river valley which, after removing ramps, is accessible only by a three-tile wide ramp followed by a bridge across the river(which isn't much of a barrier when the river freezes). And the ramp I built walls around to turn it into an even tighter chokepoint, and am currently building a system to flood that barrier(again, useless in winter).

The bad luck: No iron, no coal or lignite. And tetrahedrite is getting tough to find(F%*K YOU SPHALERITE! Zinc is completely useless!), so even copper equipment is going to be in short supply.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 09:49:45 pm »

The good: Fire clay, iron (!), bituminous coal AND lignite (!!), and a bunch of other stuff
The bad: I used "Everywhere" for the metals setting :(
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 10:35:59 pm »

The Good: Volcano with tetrahedrite, hematite, galena, 2 types of sand, clay, and layer obsidian all exposed on the surface.
The Bad: Scorching saltwater biome, no surface water.  But I do have wild WATERbuffalo.  ???
The Ugly: It's an island at the Northern edge of the world map.  Lots of stuff to work with, but I will never have traders or invaders  :(

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.