Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Graveyard layouts  (Read 11886 times)

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Graveyard layouts
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 12:08:56 pm »

I have two graveyards: One a series of individual 3x3 tombs for my heroes and nobles (larger for the bigger nobles, or better warriors), the other a couple of large rooms with row upon row of stone caskets, where the other, less notable, dead reside.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 12:50:16 pm »

I Put notches in the walls of my Entrance Halls which are big open multi Z areas. If someone dies, they are taken to a level which represents their status, closer to the core are reserved for those of Legendary Achievements...

Curious, how do you tell it which dwarf goes into which coffin?  When I build my catacombs I just build all the coffins and mark them all as used for burial, so when dwarves die they just get stuffed into the next available coffin at random...

Do you not mark any coffins as used for burial until someone dies?  I guess maybe have a "corpse" stockpile nearby so they get collected, but then you either selectively mark coffins for burial when dwarves die, or can you assign them a "tomb" after they're already dead and it'll bury them there from the corpse stockpile?

--nomad_delta

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2011, 01:41:20 pm »

While I treat my living dwarves rather well, especially compared to the other players I've seen, I tend to treat my dead dwarves with nothing but scorn.

They were weak, and the fortress is now stronger for their loss. As such I tend to just dig out one level entirely, fill it with a few masons and make them fill it with coffins. This wasy I don't have to deal with keeping track of mausoleums and all that.

The noble get's a tomb to himself until he dies. Then I remove the designation and send him to go rot with everyone else. Every decade or so I flood the crypt level with lava, then turn it into obsidian, dig it out and start over. Now with obsidian coffins.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2011, 01:57:01 pm »

...or can you assign them a "tomb" after they're already dead and it'll bury them there from the corpse stockpile?
You can't assign tombs after death. I assume he does it in advance.

I am curious about the layout of the rest of your fortress. Do you have pictures of it?
The rest is mainly arranged on the vertical around the staircase, and is just a random mess, so doesn't look all that great. But my bedroom complex is kinda neat:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(The extra staircases are part of the plumbing.)

This is my 'Forgotten Beast Reception Area' (under construction):

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2011, 02:09:49 pm »

I generally have a longish halway leading to the dining area.  I just put in alcoves along the way.  I don't generally give anyone more than a 1x1 area though.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2011, 02:12:30 pm »

...or can you assign them a "tomb" after they're already dead and it'll bury them there from the corpse stockpile?
You can't assign tombs after death. I assume he does it in advance.

I am curious about the layout of the rest of your fortress. Do you have pictures of it?
The rest is mainly arranged on the vertical around the staircase, and is just a random mess, so doesn't look all that great. But my bedroom complex is kinda neat:
(The extra staircases are part of the plumbing.)

This is my 'Forgotten Beast Reception Area' (under construction):
Those patterns are incredible... my square fortress is put to shame. What tileset is that, by the way?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2011, 02:26:52 pm »

Thanks. The tileset is an 8x8 one I made myself, based on ZX Spectrum characters.

vroops

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2011, 08:31:14 pm »

I like to honour my dead depending on the lives they lived and the manner in which they died.
A hammerdwarf died defending the fortress against invaders? He gets a a 5x5 chamber, gold coffin, several metal statues, jewel encrusted skulls of his foes etc...
A cheesemaker dies to a crocodile while fetching wood from outside? Maybe ill stick his wooden coffin in a corner somewhere... if im feeling generous.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2011, 05:12:15 pm »

Those patterns are incredible... my square fortress is put to shame.

Agreed. Lovely inspirational layout.

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2011, 05:13:51 pm »

Awesome, truly a work of (ASCII) art.
If you have more, they would surely be welcome.
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.
I think this is less a problem and more an expression of dwarven priorities.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2011, 09:02:33 pm »

http://www.dumpyourphoto.com/files2/60079/E6L7O.jpg (LARGE pic)

The only time I've ever really put more work into catacombs or a graveyard than "find an empty room and stuff it full of caskets."  I was going to fill it with tons of traps in the halls, but that was on a large embark and my computer is a piece of crap, so it occasionally froze, meaning I had to kill DF from the task manager occasionally, and the region folder got corrupted.
Pages: 1 2 [3]