Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF on HD2  (Read 1432 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
DF on HD2
« on: May 21, 2011, 08:30:29 pm »

So, lately I've been messing around with my HD2, and I managed to get ubuntu running inside an android terminal. Then, I realized the potential of having linux on a phone... I could run DF!
Of course, this happened:

Any ideas?
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF on HD2
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 08:38:00 pm »

So, lately I've been messing around with my HD2, and I managed to get ubuntu running inside an android terminal. Then, I realized the potential of having linux on a phone... I could run DF!
Of course, this happened:

Any ideas?

Turn your phone sideways, you can read it then.
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 08:41:17 pm »

I believe he is referring to the syntax error, not the sideways issue. Have you checked that you have all the package requirements? It took me a little bit of work to get all the correct lib's.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 08:42:37 pm »

Yup, I made sure to get all the libs. This isn't the first time I've gotten the error on my phone.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 08:46:47 pm »

DF on a phone? What kind of FPS do you think that will have? Watching DF unravel on a phone might very well be like watching people without arms or legs race; very slow and diminished in entertainment value after a few minutes. Considering average/above average PCs have trouble running DF at high FPS past a certain point, I can't imagine any phone running it well.

Realistic negativity aside, this is an awesome idea. I'm not great with computer/programming issues, so I can't tell what exactly could be going wrong here. If DF works fine with the system and Linux and Ubuntu work fine with the HD2, the problem is probably with some computing quality or setup differing from PCs to the phone. Admirable project, though; keep up the good work!

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 09:04:13 pm »

Very good actually.

That's some tiny shit. I'm more concerned about how you're going to fit all that RAM into a phone, SSD's can solve one problem but not the other. :/ Don't forget the fact that DF runs this little guy into the ground with a 86-98% average usage rate which means a very low battery life.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 09:19:13 pm »

It's got a 1ghz snapdragon processor. I'm expecting no more than 50 fps on a 2x2 single-cavern no-hfs map with practically everything off. I might even try nano fort.

But then again, I'm literally running Ubuntu in a linux terminal emulator, viewing it with a vnc program (connecting to localhost) on Android, which is in fact being run on a phone designed for Windows Mobile 6.5... things could be worse. It could be a G1 or something.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 09:32:37 pm »

Errr Android is already based on a linux kernel so how about trying this without virtualised ubuntu? I guess i overlook some mayor issues here but it would be awesome if it would work. 
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 09:37:03 pm »

I can already imagine sitting in an animal rights protest meeting throwing kittens into magma.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 09:40:50 pm »

Because I'm running android and not linux? It's based off the linux kernel but it's not actually linux. There's all sorts of issues with running DF on android itself, especially with hardware and input methods. That, and android apps are written in Java.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 05:23:29 am »

Because I'm running android and not linux? It's based off the linux kernel but it's not actually linux.

It is Linux, it's just got a strange userspace that you won't find anywhere else...

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 08:01:14 am »

It is Linux, it's just got a strange userspace that you won't find anywhere else...
Echo
Also, when I was trying to get it working on my Linux (Mint), I thought that I had all the correct lib's, but I actually needed an image file or two. If you have synaptic check that.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 03:06:37 pm »

I think i found something:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/chmod-1-syntax-error-unexpected-whats-this-mean-and-how-do-i-fix-it-623031/
This might help, I'll try running chmod again later, but I remember setting the permissions earlier.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 03:08:28 pm by _DivideByZero_ »