Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56]

Author Topic: Osama bin Laden Dead  (Read 36679 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Osama bin Laden Dead
« Reply #825 on: May 18, 2011, 03:32:50 pm »

I would've cited Animal Farm, personally, but I guess that works too.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: May 18, 2011, 03:42:09 pm »

Speaking of Osama and Disney simplification:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: May 18, 2011, 07:31:51 pm »

Sadly, there's nothing (to my knowledge) tthat Disney dosen't want to crush in its filthy mitts.

Unless the political climate in the US changes anytime soon, I am going to assume that the Dragonball and Metal Gear franchises are safe due to their massive amounts of muscular men in spandex and teh gay.

This is America. We have professional wrestling.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: May 18, 2011, 09:44:06 pm »

Ah, but Disney hasn't touched that yet, have they :D
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: May 18, 2011, 10:01:16 pm »

Ah, but Disney hasn't touched that yet, have they :D

Haha no (It's only a tangential touch, but that's beside the point for the purposes of crushing the hopes and dreams of others)
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: May 18, 2011, 10:05:40 pm »

. . . Well, fuck.  N-never mind then...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: May 18, 2011, 10:12:14 pm »

If it's any consolation, I fully expect Disney's perpetual extension of copyrights to accidentally ensure that they are never able to actually make a MGS or Dragonball adaptation without the permission of their respective creators, which I am equally expectant of them never getting. That probably isn't sufficient consolation to make up for the malice inherent in pointing out the wrestling thing though ;)

EDIT: It was actually kinda tricky to find.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 10:15:36 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: May 18, 2011, 10:18:20 pm »

Well yeah, that's true.

Given that Kojima refuses to communicate at all with Uwe Boll and Toriyama seems to be spending his days riding motorcycles and eating a hat made of money, I'm not exactly worried for the near future.

After I'm dead, though... well, ha ha.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: May 18, 2011, 10:28:30 pm »

Toriyama seems to be spending his days riding motorcycles and eating a hat made of money

I hate to continue this derail, but I think I have a new desktop wallpaper, once I get around to making it. Unless that picture already exists, in which case, holy shit yes

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: May 19, 2011, 07:12:20 am »

among many other lawsuits. If the Navy wanted to produce and sell a book chronicling the history of SEAL Team 6, and Disney actually has this trademark, then in theory Disney would have grounds to claim trademark infringement. Which is f**ked up beyond all belief.
Nope. This has already been settled in Paramount Pictures vs United States Navy (or something like that), which IIRC was laughed out of court. Paramount (who own Star Trek) tried to sue the Navy (who own CVN-65, USS Enterprise), for selling merchandise with "USS Enterprise" on it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: May 19, 2011, 02:41:10 pm »

So the moment i heard this my mind went straight to Team America, Can't blame me for thinking this song but thats how i feel the news have been portraying us.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: May 19, 2011, 08:18:18 pm »

"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: May 23, 2011, 07:44:44 am »

So now rumors are flying around that Mullah Omar might be dead

For those that don't know, Mullah Omar is the head of the Taliban. Dude is practically a legend among the Taliban in Afghanistan. Mujahadeen Fighter, lost an eye fighting the Soviets, and in 1996:

supporters of Mullah Omar bestowed on him the title Amir al-Mu'minin (أمير المؤمنين, "Commander of the Faithful"),[23] after he donned a cloak alleged to be that of Muhammad which was locked in a series of chests, held inside the Mosque of the Cloak of the Prophet Mohammed in the city of Kandahar. Legend decreed that whoever could retrieve the cloak from the chest would be the great Leader of the Muslims, or "Amir al-Mu'minin"[citation needed].[24] In September 1996, Kabul fell to Mullah Omar and his followers.

If Bin Laden was the semi-secular, worldly leader of Al Qaeda, Mullah Omar is the spiritual, military general of the Taliban by comparison. Between the two of them, they turned Al Qaeda and Afghanistan into what we know today.

I highly doubt Mullah Omar has been killed. He is even more adept at hiding than Bin Laden was, specifically because he never makes tapes, speeches or appearances. It's likely he's gone even deeper into hiding now, fearing Bin Laden's death might lead the US and allies to him.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:46:34 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: May 23, 2011, 10:01:41 am »

I was getting a sense of deja vu, and I suddenly realised why.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7692373.stm

I remember seeing a couple of others too.  I'll believe it when I see evidence for it, I guess.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56]