Advanced search  

Author Topic: YA4XT  (Read 1763 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
YA4XT
« on: May 22, 2011, 06:43:51 pm »

Yup, that's right.  We have yet another 4x thread on the go here.

So, I'm looking at trying out a space based 4x for the first time (I'm fairly well acquainted with Civ, AoE, TW etc) and was wondering what people would recommend and why.

Details are good.  Insane details are even better.  Good graphics are an unneccessary bonus, although I may disregard something if they are truly terrible.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: YA4XT
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 06:45:17 pm »

Gal Civ games, very fun.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 06:45:53 pm »

You've more than likely heard of it by now but there's Aurora: the Dwarf Fortress of Space 4X games.

There's not merely details, there's preposterous amounts of micromanaging. However, the graphics are not so great. They work, though.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 06:47:24 pm »

Yup, that's right.  We have yet another 4x thread on the go here.

So, I'm looking at trying out a space based 4x for the first time (I'm fairly well acquainted with Civ, AoE, TW etc) and was wondering what people would recommend and why.

Details are good.  Insane details are even better.  Good graphics are an unneccessary bonus, although I may disregard something if they are truly terrible.

If you want INSANE detail, you might want to try Aurora. Other than that, the Space Empire series is pretty good, as is the Sword of the Stars.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 06:54:24 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

Would you mind going into a few of the main differences between each?  There are an awful lot of these games.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 07:04:43 pm »

Aurora: Requires a fairly large screen. Also goes into more detail then you probably care about.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 07:12:31 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

Would you mind going into a few of the main differences between each?  There are an awful lot of these games.
Well let's see, this is just my opinion, so you might feel differently but...

Sword of the Stars is a streamlined space 4x with some rts mixed in. It's more "no nonsense" and is a lot of fun, although like almost all these games the micromanagement can get a bit much in larger games. It doesn't have all those irritating frilly details you tend to see in a lot of other 4x's. But at the same time you might find yourself missing them.

Aurora is really the dwarf fortress of 4x's, it's buggy as hell, and screws up the format of all your windows and menus when you play it. If it wasn't so buggy and annoying for me to play, I would heartily recommend it, it's a very complex and engaging game with interesting mechanics.

Galactic Civilizations is... ehhh, this might be a bit harsh, but it's a game that wants to be what Sword of the Stars is, but has some execution issues... and is a lot closer to Civilization.

Space empires... I don't know, someone else should say something. I vaguely remember playing it once but I don't remember if I liked it or not...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 07:17:21 pm »

I was expecting a game with a weird name but interesting something, not a 4X discussion.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 07:40:29 pm »

I was expecting a game with a weird name but interesting something, not a 4X discussion.

You must not have played enough roguelikes.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 07:42:53 pm »

Well there is a little easter egg in the thread title.  Google "ya4x" and you'll see.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 07:46:07 pm »

Well there is a little easter egg in the thread title.  Google "ya4x" and you'll see.

i feel stupider after reading the whole thing

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 10:32:28 am »

I'm demo-ing sword of the stars (with all expansions) right now.  Any tips for a total noob to the game/genre?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 02:02:57 pm »

can.. not.. unsee!!!!

DutchMcLing cancels foruming: going insane