Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: No Scottish Accents  (Read 7028 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
No Scottish Accents
« on: May 23, 2011, 02:18:33 pm »

I suggest that a global moratorium be establish forum wide that no one is allowed to post dialogue written like some Scottish people talk- it's an abuse of the poor, long suffering apostrophe, and it just makes it hard to read.

I don't think of Dwarves as Scottish, I think of them as selfish assholes, and that's a trait that belongs to all nations.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: No Scottish Accents
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 02:50:25 pm »

I wouldn't say Dwarves are Scottish... they seem to sound a bit Welsh sometimes. I suppose they just sound like anyone who lives in a hilly area? Meh, they all sound like that when they talk in my head anyway.

What...?

Oh sh- er...
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 03:28:07 pm »

I decree that from this point forward all dwarves talk in hard Boston accents.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 03:44:19 pm »

My dorfs don't talk.  Talking interferes with their drudgery and makes them think their lives might be worth something.
Shoes...

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 04:07:01 pm »

My dwarves don't have Scottish accents, they're just missing too many teeth.

Urist1: "B'udy gobbo 'unched mah eeth oot, eh id!"
Urist2: "...What did he say?"
Urist3: "He ay he ait ot is eeth!"
Urist2: "I'm glad I chose bookkeeping as my profession..."
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 05:08:37 pm »

Dwarves had their origin in Scandinavia so it's always baffled me that most people choose to RP them with a a scottish accent.

I blame Tolkien.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 05:42:19 pm »

Being most familiar with the South Yorkshire coalfields (of times past, THAAAAATTTTCCCHHHHHHHEEEEERRRRRRR!!!!!!) one of the (many[1]) places where people regularly used to go underground and dig tunnels, I suppose I tend to put a Barnsley accent on them, personally.

[1] Durham, South Wales, the area around Coalbrookdale (surprisingly!) are others in the UK, with Pittsburgh entering my consciousness as the most obvious Left Pondian example, and beyond coal there's the like of the eponymouslt known Kimberley deposits in ZA, and I suspect Chile (as a whole, because, to be honest, I have very little subregional knowledge of that country) has been very recently associated with miners, also, but I bet any attempt to try a Chilean accent would be as close to Mexican as anywhere else... :)

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 06:19:22 pm »

Dragon Age has them with American accents.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 11:10:06 pm »

Dwarves had their origin in Scandinavia so it's always baffled me that most people choose to RP them with a a scottish accent.

I blame Tolkien.

Tolkien didn't make them remotely Scottish. The Hobbit? They're not terribly Scottish. LOTR? Not really Scottish? Silmarillion, Book of Lost Tales and so on? When they do appear... not very Scottish. I mean, for one thing, their kings don't seem to have an obsession with killing each other or their predecessors.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 02:12:24 am »

I blame Tolkien.

Who gave them a semitic language, which means that they should sound Jewish or Arab.

Still, I don't understand the point of the topic. The scottish accent is a meme, that's all.

Fidna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 03:25:52 am »

Tolkien didn't give them a Semitic language, so much as he used the concept of a Semitic language for them. The idea was that they were given a unique language by their creator, Aule. Conceptually the idea was to give them a sense of otherness since they were relatively so isolated from other societies (and so possessed a language isolate).

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 05:24:20 am »

Exaggerated and probably laughably inaccurate Scandanavian accents would scarcely be an improvement. I recommend a moratorium on giving dwarves any distinctive regional accent unless the poster either speaks with it themselves or lives there.

Although there is much unexploited comedy gold in Welsh dwarves and Scouse elves.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 11:49:48 am »

If only Dwarves would talk Afrikaans :P
Afrikaans is basically Dutch without any grammar or spelling...

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 12:36:25 pm »

I blame Tolkien.

Who gave them a semitic language, which means that they should sound Jewish or Arab.

Still, I don't understand the point of the topic. The scottish accent is a meme, that's all.

The point of the topic is the suggestion that horrible, syntax butchering nightmares of sentences like "As th' year comes t' an en' " and words like "cannae" and " 'elp'd " be halted forthwith, in order to save us tender souls who weeps an the sight of cruel raped apostrophes and misused Saxon genitives.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 12:40:20 pm »

I blame Tolkien.
Yeah, we dont speak scottish or welsh that much in everyday life, at least not here in Finland
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6