Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: No Scottish Accents  (Read 7029 times)

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Scottish Accents
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 01:57:56 pm »

To the best skit goes the accenting choice.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 02:23:29 pm »

It can be pretty difficult to read at times. Much like an Irvin Walsh novel but with, oddly, less drunkenness.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 03:04:13 pm »

"No, that's the elephant with the naaaame!" :)
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 03:12:50 pm »

The shorts are funny- because I don't have to read them.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 03:18:55 pm »

Dwarves don't talk. They use telepathy.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 04:05:01 pm »

It can be pretty difficult to read at times. Much like an Irvine Walsh novel but with, oddly, less drunkenness.
And without the soul-crushing gloom and despair at the human condition that persists for hours afterwards, at least if Trainspotting is representative of his works.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 12:38:37 am »

It can be pretty difficult to read at times. Much like an Irvine Walsh novel but with, oddly, less drunkenness.
And without the soul-crushing gloom and despair at the human condition that persists for hours afterwards, at least if Trainspotting is representative of his works.

I haven't read him, but it sounds like Ibsen.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 12:09:06 pm »

"Th' bloody goblin punched mah wallies oot!"

Now you probably hate me.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Orakio

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 02:37:01 pm »

Being most familiar with the South Yorkshire coalfields (of times past, THAAAAATTTTCCCHHHHHHHEEEEERRRRRRR!!!!!!) one of the (many[1]) places where people regularly used to go underground and dig tunnels, I suppose I tend to put a Barnsley accent on them, personally.

[1] Durham, South Wales, the area around Coalbrookdale (surprisingly!) are others in the UK, with Pittsburgh entering my consciousness as the most obvious Left Pondian example, and beyond coal there's the like of the eponymouslt known Kimberley deposits in ZA, and I suspect Chile (as a whole, because, to be honest, I have very little subregional knowledge of that country) has been very recently associated with miners, also, but I bet any attempt to try a Chilean accent would be as close to Mexican as anywhere else... :))

Living just outside Pittsburgh, my first thought when I read this was :"Oh, come on, really?" Then I started trying to refute it. And I have come to the forlorn conclusion that my hometown is basically a mountainhome. 'The Monongahela is composed mainly of sandstone, limestone, dolomite, and coal.' The coal is the highest quality in the nation for making steel. Sixty years ago, we were pushing over thirty percent of the world's steel. For a century, entire families worked in the mills, as we turned the sky and snow black with ash, while we pulled in the dregs of Europe for more and more raw labor. Now, the steel is gone to China, and all that is left is a regional dialect spoken dahntahn and in the surrounding counties, and nowhere else in the world, a social scene built around beer and football (substituted for goblin slaughter), and mullets, as few humans can grow a proper dwarven beard, while we've thrown our out-going migrants all over the known world.

So if yinzguys want ta imagine your dorfs as Picksburghers, well, it fits.  :-\

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 05:33:39 pm »

Elves are deffo French. I'd say we Polish could qualify for the kobolds, after all we're kinda stealing all the time. Or the Japanese maybe? Gobilns is "insert your most disliked country" anyway, you could even give them an American accent. Humans are variable, I imagine them as not quite technologically advanced but more or less decent folk. So maybe middle eastern? The old "Saladin" middle east, not the modern "Terrorists!" opinion that many people have. And dwarves should stay scottish!

Not politically correct of course, slaughter me if you wish :D
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 06:14:36 pm »

Elves are deffo French. I'd say we Polish could qualify for the kobolds, after all we're kinda stealing all the time. Or the Japanese maybe? Gobilns is "insert your most disliked country" anyway, you could even give them an American accent. Humans are variable, I imagine them as not quite technologically advanced but more or less decent folk. So maybe middle eastern? The old "Saladin" middle east, not the modern "Terrorists!" opinion that many people have. And dwarves should stay scottish!

Not politically correct of course, slaughter me if you wish :D
Could have been worse, you could have brought up the Roma.

And personally, I'm always going to imagine goblins as looking and sounding like Murdoc from Gorillaz, who if memory serves is from Stoke-on-Trent. Kobolds... well, from their description they probably bear a passing resemblance to the Wombles, so cockney perhaps?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 07:39:23 pm »

For the record: Tolkien elves speak welsh, sorta.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 08:12:23 pm »

How dar' ye' tra' to ban the Scottish accen'!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:14:58 pm by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 09:11:43 pm »

When i see a dwarf in adv mode... i slay it!!!!

when i see a dwarf in fortress mode, i press it into a slave labor camp where it either dies from being overworked, or starves to death because i don't make them gather their own food.

accents? those are for humans....and elves because elves are nice and like trees.

Am i racist against dwarves, maybe (But not as much as i am against goblins)... is it ironic i play a game named after the midgets..... yes!!!

do accents matter..... not unless you like begging, in which case you should be content with any accent your groveling midget slave puts forth.

that's my rant on dwarves.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 09:20:54 pm »

Could have been worse, you could have brought up the Roma.

Thats because I don't really have an idea about their accent, despite ranting loudly about romanian just yesterday. Well it's at least better then hungarian....
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6