Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: No Scottish Accents  (Read 7027 times)

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Scottish Accents
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2011, 12:43:27 am »

Wales is big on mining, so I'd think they would sound more Welsh than Scottish.

Upon saying that, why would they speak in any current accent at all? Especially since they don't even speak English.

Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2011, 12:54:13 am »

If anything, the dwarves should have one of the various American accents and the elves should have French accents. Because Dwarves and Elves are arrogant and pretentious, respectively.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2011, 01:46:05 am »

Perhaps when Toady gets around to the audio arc he could add procedural accents? :P
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2011, 02:40:07 am »

If anything, the dwarves should have one of the various American accents and the elves should have French accents. Because Dwarves and Elves are arrogant and pretentious, respectively.
I think the humans should have Australian accents. Imagine hearing  "Hey, mate! Throw another *Cat Roast* on the barby!"
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2011, 06:38:53 am »

I think the humans should have Australian accents. Imagine hearing  "Hey, mate! Throw another *Cat Roast* on the barby!"

Actually, thinking about it, the dwarves could have a convict accent. Sent to a build a colony somewhere away, often full with dangerous animals, drink booze, throw tantrum, have a tendency to !!burn!! everything...
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2011, 12:01:59 am »

Could have been worse, you could have brought up the Roma.

Thats because I don't really have an idea about their accent, despite ranting loudly about romanian just yesterday. Well it's at least better then hungarian....

ROMA ≠ ROMANIAN

In the future, please endeavor to be less ignorant. Thank you.

And personally, I'm always going to imagine goblins as looking and sounding like Murdoc from Gorillaz, who if memory serves is from Stoke-on-Trent. Kobolds... well, from their description they probably bear a passing resemblance to the Wombles, so cockney perhaps?

As far as I'm concerned, all dwarves now speak like Noodle. And it is AWESOME.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2011, 12:16:39 am »

For the record, dwarves speak like that creepy old hermit who lives up the hill. You know the one I'm talking about, the one who never mows his grass and chases kids off his yard with his scattergun.

So dwarves sound like this: "Get off my lawn!" One part drunk, one part anti-social, and two parts homicidal maniac. Add in one part angry for a pissed off dwarf.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2011, 02:20:52 am »

I am pretty sure dwarves having scottish accents is due in part because of how Americans view the British Isles. Dwarves are rough and tumble, slightly odd, and vulgar hairy men (albiet short) with beards which would more or less be how your average American would describe the scots.

Think about it, most Americans don't speak any other language besides English. One of the results of this is that when someone wants to give a foriegn but not too exotic feel to a character or in this case race they choose some accent of a native English speaking region. Most commonly the British Isles.

If they want to convey a highly refined, cultured, pompous, or arrogant aspect: proper English accent.
If they want to convey a low brow, criminal, shifty, or maybe even just low cunning: Cockney (sometimes northeastern US too NY, Boston, etc)
If they want to convey slightly insane but generally likeable: Irish
If they want to convey outdoorsman or just general survival expert: Australian
and finally if they want to convey rough and tumble, slightly odd, and vulgar hairy men: Scottish

Watch any movie and you'll see. It is unfortunate but true.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2011, 07:35:29 am »

ROMA ≠ ROMANIAN

In the future, please endeavor to be less ignorant. Thank you.

Mate, I said that I have no idea what a roma accent sounds like, and that I was ranting about romanian, so I obviously know how a ROMANIAN accent sounds. I may be politically uncorrect, but I'm far from stupid and certainly know the difference between roma and romanian.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2011, 07:51:49 am »

If only Dwarves would talk Afrikaans :P
Afrikaans is basically Dutch without any grammar or spelling...
The only miners the Dutch ever had were Limburgers, who also speak something nobody understands, so that's how I imagine them speaking.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2011, 09:17:15 am »

I am pretty sure dwarves having scottish accents is due in part because of how Americans view the British Isles. Dwarves are rough and tumble, slightly odd, and vulgar hairy men (albiet short) with beards which would more or less be how your average American would describe the scots.

Think about it, most Americans don't speak any other language besides English. One of the results of this is that when someone wants to give a foriegn but not too exotic feel to a character or in this case race they choose some accent of a native English speaking region...

If they want to convey a highly refined, cultured, pompous, or arrogant aspect: proper English accent.
If they want to convey a low brow, criminal, shifty, or maybe even just low cunning: Cockney (sometimes northeastern US too NY, Boston, etc)
If they want to convey slightly insane but generally likeable: Irish
If they want to convey outdoorsman or just general survival expert: Australian
and finally if they want to convey rough and tumble, slightly odd, and vulgar hairy men: Scottish

So what would a Canadian accent be used to convey?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2011, 09:25:02 am »

So what would a Canadian accent be used to convey?

Well, Canadian accent would obviously convey skill in woodcutting, trapping, hunting, small animal dissection and animal training. NO EXCEPTIONS  :P

And REAL dwarves speak Old Norse. In which accent, I do not know.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2011, 09:28:45 am »

I may be weird but i imagine my dwarves speaking french, not the refined ron-ron-ron-baguette-baguette kind of way but more of a simple french. They just feel that way, eccentric, randomly stupid and slightly mad.

EDIT: Canadian accents are also used for gullible and oblivious characters
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 09:30:33 am by Kattaroten »
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2011, 09:29:12 am »

What with the large variety of parent civilizations, culture-specific items (like turbans and togas) and skin colours it sounds a bit odd to want any single dialect to encompass all of (un)known Dwarfendom.  :-\
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2011, 11:10:22 am »

I chuckled a bit at the arrogant stereotyping of Americans who see the rest of the world as stereotypes, because we're arrogant. Everyone's just a little bit racist eh?

I think the problem with written accents is the jarring effect it has on ANY reader. It's part of the "show, don't tell" rule of writing; using a shorthand stereotype (the drunken scotsman or what have you) just perpetuates the stereotype with more emphasis and less variety.

All Americans aren't from Texas, just as all Russians aren't terminally depressed, all French aren't nihilist smokers, and all Australians aren't Crocodile Dundee.

All Canadians may in fact be trappers and wear flannel, though.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6