Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Does anyone else think...  (Read 3245 times)

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone else think...
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2011, 11:02:44 pm »

The problem is the Zombie Survival Genre went further and further away from survival until it actually just became a shooter with zombies.

Or maybe it's the other way around; shooters are coming towards the zombie survival genre. Or is it too optimistic?

I don't recall when there was a real zombie survival game to move away from.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2011, 11:55:17 pm »

Resident Evil: Outbreak was heavy 'escape the zombies'. Except for a few (completely out of place) boss fights that you needed to get through at the end of the levels, trying to kill the enemies was a bit of a waste of time.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2011, 12:11:18 am »

Most zombie games go for a modern setting because it's more "shocking" to see something you're familiar with, such as people in T-Shirts and jeans, large cities, et cetera turned into something twisted and deformed.  I think the modern setting has been done to death as far as First Person Shooters and Zombie games go, though, since most of them are done using the same formula that's been used the past ten years.  We need something different.

A Steam Punk setting would be awesome for a zombie survival game.  You'd have guns, swords, explosives, blimps, planes, flying cities, robots, and maybe even a coherent plot line!  The cities would be industrialized enough to have lots of access to different supplies, materials, and a broad range of magical doodads, and you expect the protagonist to be good at throwing random stuff together (It's Steam Punk: Everyone's a genius!).  Throw in floating cities, an extensive crafting and skill system, and viola!  Instant success.  I'd totally pre-order a game just based on that premise.

Well. I am planning on going into game design. Mind if I use this concept at some point in the future?

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2011, 12:13:37 am »

Resident Evil: Outbreak was heavy 'escape the zombies'. Except for a few (completely out of place) boss fights that you needed to get through at the end of the levels, trying to kill the enemies was a bit of a waste of time.
THIS.

RE: Outbreak was epic.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2011, 12:50:03 am »

Off topic here.  Solifuge, thank you so much for linking to that site.  I found it some years ago, found it fascinating, and promptly lost it.  I've been looking for it since.  Thank you!!

Back on topic now.
Pages: 1 2 [3]