Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark conundrum  (Read 1442 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Embark conundrum
« on: May 30, 2011, 06:59:06 am »

So it has come to my attention that often when I choose to embark on a cool site that I've found, there's never been an option to bring along an iron anvil. Instead I'm forced to haul a steel anvil for a much higher price. This makes me wonder, since steel requires iron bars (and the process makes 2 steel bars for 2 iron bars). How can dwarves forge a steel anvil yet still be unable to forge an iron one? Where's the iron they made it with? Surely there must be some iron lying somewhere, whether it is hematite, magnetite, limonite, goblinite or humanite. Or are they toying with me and keeping that iron for themselves? Did the new mineral scarcity setting introduce protectionism? Or is there a divine intervention in the making here, similar to the anvil origins conundrum?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark conundrum
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 07:02:02 am »

all civilization have access to alloys if they have corresponding reaction, no matter if they have ingredients or not. This can be regarded as a bug i guess.
thus,humans and dwarves always have bronzes, pewters, silver alloys and all, and dwarves always have steel.

Stormcloudy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 07:45:04 am »

If it would make you feel better, they used all of the iron bars to make steel bars.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 08:49:22 am »

The Mountainhomes are efficient! No iron there! It's all instantly transferred to the blast furnace area and turned into steel! Precious steel!
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.