Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone ever play FATE?  (Read 1862 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone ever play FATE?
« on: May 26, 2011, 09:40:42 am »

No, not that visual novel, silly.

FATE is a game made by I think the people behind this company called WildTangent. I remember being a lot younger and playing it when it first came out. Essentially, it's like one big Diablo ripoff, only for all ages, in full 3D, and with it's own "soul". But at the same time, there's a lot of similarities with Diablo games.

It's what got me into roguelikes. I asked on their forums about games like it and they introduced me to an online version of Rogue, which led me to Angband, which led me to Nethack and Zangband... all the way until I discovered DF. At that time I didn't play it anymore, because the only one I'd ever played was the original FATE.

Interestingly, it's in its 4th (!!!) incarnation right now. That's how popular it is.

Personal bullet points (they've probably changed even since the second game):

1) Mildly interesting randomly generated quests
2) Randomly generated dungeon levels, sort of
3) No classes, all characters choose their own path, stats and skills/spells as they grow
4) Truly preposterous random items
5) a bunch of other stuff that wasn't as interesting as the above stuff
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:45:07 am by freeformschooler »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone ever play FATE?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:44:41 am »

I played that. I liked it, but got boring pretty quickly.

din's curse is a better incarnation of the concept, still, after a few hours of play there is not enough meat to keep me interested to that kind of game.

replayability and depth is not given just by randomness.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:45:19 am »

Love the Dungeon Soundtracks. But really, if you've played Diablo, Titan Quest, Torchlight, Nox, or any of those kinds of games, you've played a game with more depth than FATE. The setup doesn't get any more interesting from teh beginning of the game to the end, just more loot. The dungeon tiles and the enemies change, and sure you've got randomly generated bad asses every few floors....but it never really evolves.

Still, you can customize a lot of stuff, you get a pet, there's 4 games in the series so you can kill a lot of time playing it, and getting to play as an Imp is kinda cool. But I got 3 or hours in and the vision of the rest of the game just seemed pretty bland and boring, for someone who has played a lot of this genre.

replayability and depth is not given just by randomness.

Yep, this. The fact that, from FATE 1 to FATE 4, your two major character decisions never get better than "STATS?!" "SKILLS?!" makes it all about the gear, which is ho hum. Diablo at least gave you different things and classes to explore, and the randomization supported that. FATE has nothing that interesting or replayable.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 10:15:44 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 09:48:46 am »

Love the Dungeon Soundtracks. But really, if you've played Diablo, Titan Quest, Torchlight, Nox, or any of those kinds of games, you've played a game with more depth than FATE. The setup doesn't get any more interesting from teh beginning of the game to the end, just more loot. The dungeon tiles and the enemies change, and sure you've got randomly generated bad asses every few floors....but it never really evolves.

Still, you can customize a lot of stuff, there's 4 games in the series so you can kill a long time playing it, and getting to play as an IMP is kinda cool. But I got 3 or hours in and the vision of the rest of the game just seemed pretty bland and boring, for someone who has played a lot of this genre.

I've not actually played Diablo or Torchlight or any of those games much at all, except for Diablo II at a friend's house a few times.

The biggest part about how the enemies change is I remember in the first game they just were bigger sizes or recolors of each other. That was not very fun.

And yeah, the game does get boring after a while, especially if you beat it. The fun does start to ramp up a little more halfway through the first one when the level scaling inexplicably usually gets thrown off and everything is suddenly much much harder. The rest of the game before that is way too easy, I think. I don't know if they kept that in later versions.

I think I'm gonna try to acquire a copy of Diablo II, somehow...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 09:51:39 am »

It's still the king in its genre for a reason. You're in for good times, I promise you. (Especially compared to Fate.)

What got me about FATE was the whole name of the game is couched on what happens to you when you die...which is a stupid choice between "respawn and play a lot of gold" or "drop gold and respawn in town" or blah blah blah. It's all "CHOOSE YOUR FATE" and I just laughed.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 09:53:27 am »

I believe Torchlight was made by the same team as FATE.  It makes sense, because they're pretty similar, although Torchlight's a lot more in-depth.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 09:55:56 am »

Yeah, Torchlight basically is FATE done to the A level.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 09:57:38 am »

I'd wait for the sequel, which should have multiplayer.

should be way more fun and having less of a repetitive feeling attached.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 10:00:18 am »

What got me about FATE was the whole name of the game is couched on what happens to you when you die...which is a stupid choice between "respawn and play a lot of gold" or "drop gold and respawn in town" or blah blah blah. It's all "CHOOSE YOUR FATE" and I just laughed.

Always chose the former option. If you don't have a portal in town you'll want to send your fist through the computer screen after choosing the latter.

Anyway, I come in here and talk about one game and you guys suggest a bunch of other good ones. You guys are great. I'm set for the summer I think.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 10:01:32 am »

If he's never played Diablo before, really, I don't think he'll have a problem with the repetition. Those that have been playing Diablo 2 for 8 years waiting for Diablo 3 have long since run out of patience or interest.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 10:03:34 am »

If he's never played Diablo before, really, I don't think he'll have a problem with the repetition. Those that have been playing Diablo 2 for 8 years waiting for Diablo 3 have long since run out of patience or interest.

Yeah, you're talking to the kind of person here that enjoys games like Dragon Quest not in spite of the grinding, but BECAUSE of the grinding. I have some money to blow so I'm gonna get the game today...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 10:05:56 am »

In that case....

Protip: Save and Exit your game to ref-fill the outdoor areas with monsters.

Koja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 01:42:18 pm »

Torchlight 1.0. Which was Mythos 1.0. I'll take titan quest over any of them any day, they feel too generic.
~~<BR>"Zombie fish have the added benefit of not needing to breath. Thus they can wade out of the water with little to fear but bigger zombie fish" -Willfor

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 01:47:45 pm »

FATE 4?
Anything worth mentioning of difference from the original? otherwise I'm going to stick with Torchlight & Diablo & Co.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 01:54:58 pm »

FATE is pretty much Diablo for kiddies. The only really interesting mechanic was the respawn choice. And that relies on me NEEDING to respawn to take advantage of it, so it's kinda wasted.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: [1] 2