Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stem cell research  (Read 1607 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Stem cell research
« on: May 27, 2011, 12:13:16 am »

I think "laws" regarding stem cell research and funding

L+ Stem cell research has full government and tax payer funding
L Stem cell research is government funded
M Stem cell research has small government funding and must rely on donations
C Stem cell research has no government funding and must rely on small and far apart donations.
C+ Stem cell research is completely banned

Maybe when stem cell research is L+, permanant injuries could be cured.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 12:17:10 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: Stem cell research
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 12:43:56 am »

I don't think a separate issue is needed, because the most critical opposition against stem cell research comes from the fact that the research most commonly uses aborted fetuses (I think it's possible to produce some kinds of stem cells for research without abortion, but I suppose that's very expensive compared to aborted fetuses which are plentiful). It could be tied to abortion more closely (eg. tweaks in the flavortext and possible gameplay effects), or be included in either of the oft-proposed healthcare or science issues. Personally, seeing that healthcare laws were a major part of President Obama's agenda and a focal point of US politics for a while (so focal even I know of them), healthcare should be added. But that's being discussed elsewhere.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:28:29 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 06:40:24 pm »

It's possible to use umbilical cords for stem cells: That's what they are after all.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 07:33:58 pm »

I think L+ abortion law should be changed to "The tax code requires every woman donate one fetus to stem cell research."  L+ abortion law needs to be a bit outlandish, IMHO.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 07:36:34 pm »

It's possible to use umbilical cords for stem cells: That's what they are after all.

Also embryos; it's important to make the distinction between an embryo and a fetus.

At any rate, I think this issue is a little too topical/specific for the game. You can't include them all, right?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 07:50:48 pm »

I think L+ abortion law should be changed to "The tax code requires every woman donate one fetus to stem cell research."  L+ abortion law needs to be a bit outlandish, IMHO.
That's too outlandish.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 09:04:06 pm »

I think a better example of an L+ abortion law would be that you're given to option to abort even immediately after successful live birth. Even that I'm not sure of.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 09:04:41 pm »

Your friendly neighborhood abortion clinic promises two hour service and advertises discount rates on Tuesdays.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 09:09:51 pm »

Or: You're allowed to abort up to the point of actual live birth, and abortions are fully reimbursed by the government in all cases.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 10:07:02 pm »

Your friendly neighborhood abortion clinic promises two hour service and advertises discount rates on Tuesdays.

How about you bring a friend and get a two for one special?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 12:27:50 am »

Also embryos; it's important to make the distinction between an embryo and a fetus.

At any rate, I think this issue is a little too topical/specific for the game. You can't include them all, right?

Thank you for correcting me. Because of the stem cell opposition being mainly about abortion, I agree it shouldn't be included.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04